Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #1

Default Did I hear someone say gas-powered Sprinter?

I thought I read somewhere on here that there are rumors of gas-powered Sprinters in the works, or on the drawing board, or somewhere else closer to reality than the "wishful thinking" stage.

And I'd like to say in public for the benefit any manufacturers that may be lurking, the availability of a gas-powered Sprinter (with all the safety features like blind-spot monitors, etc.) would move my idea of buying a nice Class B in the next few years from daydream to serious intent.

Just so you know.
ANRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:30 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Strictly rumors it seems. Mercedes Benz has a gas engine for the Sprinter. In fact they briefly sold it in America back about 2010 and then dropped offering it. So it is no big deal. I suspect with manufacturing moved to South Carolina maybe they will bring it back.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:04 AM   #3
Platinum Member

They dropped it because there was little interest.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:37 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANRiley View Post
I thought I read somewhere on here that there are rumors of gas-powered Sprinters in the works, or on the drawing board, or somewhere else closer to reality than the "wishful thinking" stage.

And I'd like to say in public for the benefit any manufacturers that may be lurking, the availability of a gas-powered Sprinter (with all the safety features like blind-spot monitors, etc.) would move my idea of buying a nice Class B in the next few years from daydream to serious intent.

Just so you know.
The story is based in part on Mercedes planning for the next generation Sprinter van and evaluating what is the future for their van drivetrains. As in their non-commercial petrol fuel products. MB has increased the use of turbo four cylinder engines as the entry point up through the e-class.

I would love to see a slightly larger (2.5l) next generation turbo diesel but emission regulations are getting stricter and the public mindshare is moving to hybrids.

I am not aware of a current gasoline drivetrain that has met or exceeded the duty cycle requirements of the 2.1 or 3.0 diesel engines as well as the longer service intervals the diesels afford.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

MB has already announced a whole new series of engines for 2018 and beyond.

They promised more power more efficiency,
but they did not disclose much detail.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Diesels have lost or are loosing tax advantages in Europe, emission standards are being tightened.
The VW, Audi, Seat and Porsche cheating scandal covering many many thousands of vehicles. I would guess that they'll be done with diesel as they can't make them work at a price- the proposed "fix" appears to reduce power and decrease mpg by 10% or so.
( MB uses urea injection which works but does have costs for fluid and long term maint. )

Various bodies in the UK are instituting increased charges for diesel- they may be subject to higher congestion fees and parking charges than gas vehicles.
And pre-2006 may be banned altogether.

MB and Fiat ( Dodge) will have to make better motors for that market, they could end up in use here.

I spend alot of time in the UK for work and read the papers daily- esp in winter air is bad in London and the problem is obvious.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Diesels have lost or are loosing tax advantages in Europe, emission standards are being tightened.
The VW, Audi, Seat and Porsche cheating scandal covering many many thousands of vehicles. I would guess that they'll be done with diesel as they can't make them work at a price- the proposed "fix" appears to reduce power and decrease mpg by 10% or so.
( MB uses urea injection which works but does have costs for fluid and long term maint. )

Various bodies in the UK are instituting increased charges for diesel- they may be subject to higher congestion fees and parking charges than gas vehicles.
And pre-2006 may be banned altogether.

MB and Fiat ( Dodge) will have to make better motors for that market, they could end up in use here.

I spend alot of time in the UK for work and read the papers daily- esp in winter air is bad in London and the problem is obvious.

Mike
I hope the Trump administration does not pull back emissions standards for the US. Not having engines that can meet global standards will ultimately hurt our economy from a global perspective in the long run.

Ever experienced the acoustics at the Roundhouse?
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #8
Platinum Member

yes, not very good as the room is round so there are odd reflections and frequencies build and double..according to dimensions- the listener experience can change every few feet.

last time there was Canada Day 2011 with Paul Simon for iTunes festival.

the thready vocals are an effect of the PA problems- the low harmony vocal parts set up a weird resonance on part of the stage...poor bass player Bakithi kept turning himself down trying to fix it

My next London job is RAH end of March

mike
Old 02-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Guardian article du Jour, mentions effects of emissions and action taking place- also mentions vehicle restrictions in Paris, Madrid and Athens.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...trogen-dioxide

Mike
Old 02-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #10
Platinum Member

LOL. I hope none of you hold auto stocks. I sold mine, as that industry is going to tank if even a few of the trade policies go into effect. Gas vs. diesel is the last thing to worry about in the short term.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote