Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 04:05 AM   #61

Yep...not for me, but many folks put a premium on space...so there's this very large and heavy truck camper...

Keithmaryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Rowiebowie, the "beltline" is a serious intrusion of several inches on each side. On the PM forum, the accepted dimension just above beltline is 78.5". Because we are short, my bed is 72" with the top of the mattress at beltline. It is not a tight fit. I have >2" extra at each end of the bed to the windows, which each protrude 1" from the walls. My 6'2" son can stretch out fully on my bed because the pillow can overlap the beltline protrusion.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #63
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Rowiebowie, the "beltline" is a serious intrusion of several inches on each side. On the PM forum, the accepted dimension just above beltline is 78.5". Because we are short, my bed is 72" with the top of the mattress at beltline. It is not a tight fit. I have >2" extra at each end of the bed to the windows, which each protrude 1" from the walls. My 6'2" son can stretch out fully on my bed because the pillow can overlap the beltline protrusion.
Ok, you've convinced me. I went to your build pictures and see where the windows are a couple of inches further out than the beam of steel just below them, that I assume is what is called the "belt line". You've shown me its possible to get a 76" side to side bed which is the minimum I was searching for since I'm 6'2" like your son.

I was serious before when I said the RV companies need to be shown this. On Winnebago's Mercedes-based Revel, they had to extend the window shells (eliminating the windows unnecessarily) just to get a cross bed. They claim it is 79", but I'm pretty sure that is only if measured at the back which is the widest part of the side flairs.

My Chevy class B bed is 68" wide (wider than our queen bed and wider than it needs to be) and 76" long (length that is taken away from the coach in the form of less storage and a smaller galley). I imagine my wife and I could be very comfortable on a 55"W X 76"L long side-to-side bed. It would not only allow a gigantic (at least in class b terms) 21" of more forward coach space, but the higher bed would allow greater storage underneath.

I see why you did your own build, but that's not something I want to do. What I want is RV makers to wake up and see the advantages of your layout and make a model on the longer Promaster that takes advantage of it.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #64
Platinum Member

We have a Class A for when more people come and a Class B for me and my wife .
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:29 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland View Post
I love class Bs but I've always loved Chinooks!!

X2 ....
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Unfortunately. it doesn't sound like you're ready for the road. Can't imagine all those pets and it's the first time I've heard of taking rats in an RV. Forget the mess and smells (we've had rats as pets when our kids were small and kept their cages very clean, still, the smell is unavoidable and in the small confines of a motor home it would be worse). Then, there's the problem of how do you leave pets in the RV for even an hour and keep them safe from overheating in summer? You'd require full hookups 100% of the time to ensure their safety. To me, that's not the freedom you need on the road.
The ratties are partners in Barn Hunt, a dog sport. They help teach the sport to the dogs. While traveling with 14 rats is not my idea of fun, I have all Girls, and they're not that smelly. We are not looking to be on the road full time. What we ARE looking is to not have to load and unload our Grand Caravan every night. (With the exception of the Jog-a-Dog, everything I named above, including the Rats, fits in our Grand Caravan. Having to find a full service hook-up every night would be no worse than making sure we were at a pet-friendly motel every night.

One reason for traveling would be to DO Barn Hunt. My Harper Longhair Dachshund is an AKC Grand Champion in Conformation (the stuff you see when they air the Westminster Shows on TV in January). He is also the first standard Dachshund in the United States and Canada to achieve the Barn Hunt Master Champion (or Champion Excellent) title.

Leaving the pets behind while we travel is NOT an option.

For one thing, expensive to find a decent boarding facility. For another, we are in New Orleans, and I will NOT leave my pets behind during hurricane season.

Quote:
Add your mobility needs and your looking at something very large. A "b" won't work for you and if a much larger custom class c is beyond your budget, how could you afford a Newmar?
I haven't found anyone who does a Custom Class C. I've found sites which CLAIM to, but which are only customizing decour. So I have no idea how much one would cost.

I do know that the base price of a Newmar Canyon Star is about $75,000 less than the base price of an Airstream Atlas.

Quote:
Be realistic about what is best for you and your pets and those needs may be mutually exclusive in some regards. I wish you luck.
My options are to travel or not to travel. Period.
Marilynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #67
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

Always wanted a small camper. Look at pop ups but wanted a bathroom. Also saw an incident where a squirrel chewed its way into one. Found a good priced low mileage B and never looked back. Just bought a small motorcycle type trailer for when we need little more space.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:01 PM   #68
Silver Member

Has anyone seen the new ProMaster-based Fleetwood IROK FSL/FSD? It appears to be based on the Midwest Industries Legend FSL/FSD. Attached is the Fleetwood brochure.

Not only is the interior fit and finish gorgeous and the standard feature set excellent, you can get the underhood generator/lithuim battery setup as an option. But if that's above your budget, an Onan 2.5 LP generator with a 15.1 gallon propane capacity is also available. This would eliminate a lot of the maintenance issues associated with a gasoline generator.

As Fleetwood pumps out more of them to dealer lots, this one could emerge as a legitimate challenger among ProMaster B-vans.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2019-Irok-Brochure-.pdf (1.52 MB, 14 views)
GigaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #69
Platinum Member

I've owned a travel trailer (fine for drive and park camping)
An old Class A (too large, uncomfortable to drive, and maintenance intensive)
A slide in Camper (too tippy, tall, and also difficult to drive)
and we rented a Modern Class C before buying our B (uncomfortable to drive, slide outs that were already failing, cheap walls and roof)

A Class B is a no brainer for OUR style of travel. We drive and move a LOT, seldom staying in one place for more than a day or two. It is a Van; The body and chassis require no more maintenance than your family car, Surfaces are durable and leak free compared to fiberglass bodies with seams. My Promaster fits nearly anywhere a Suburban does, and drives nearly as well, and features a common gas engine that can be worked on by most Auto repair shops if needed.

They make thousands of RV models for thousands of preferences. Most Class B's are designed for the "touring" traveler and camper, and that's what they are best at.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
I've owned a travel trailer (fine for drive and park camping)
An old Class A (too large, uncomfortable to drive, and maintenance intensive)
A slide in Camper (too tippy, tall, and also difficult to drive)
and we rented a Modern Class C before buying our B (uncomfortable to drive, slide outs that were already failing, cheap walls and roof)

A Class B is a no brainer for OUR style of travel. We drive and move a LOT, seldom staying in one place for more than a day or two. It is a Van; The body and chassis require no more maintenance than your family car, Surfaces are durable and leak free compared to fiberglass bodies with seams. My Promaster fits nearly anywhere a Suburban does, and drives nearly as well, and features a common gas engine that can be worked on by most Auto repair shops if needed.

They make thousands of RV models for thousands of preferences. Most Class B's are designed for the "touring" traveler and camper, and that's what they are best at.
Well put. Like you, we also drive a lot so it was a class b all the way. We can also park it in our driveway when not in use. That way it's a second car if needed and not an expensive storage problem.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote