Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 03:44 PM   #41
Platinum Member

"The borrower is slave to the lender".

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/the-truth-about-debt
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

He who dies owing the most money, wins.

:-d
I think the lender would be the beneficiary of assets of the person who dies and not the loved ones .
Old 08-28-2018, 03:55 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
"The borrower is slave to the lender".

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/the-truth-about-debt
+1

I would always pay cash for the best RV I could afford and or suited my needs for my budget.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #44
Platinum Member

I think the gauche thing would be to ask, in person, a perfect stranger whether he/she paid cash for their rig. In a forum like this, where you can choose to respond, I think the question is OK.

He who lives with the most joy, wins!
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
I think the gauche thing would be to ask, in person, a perfect stranger whether he/she paid cash for their rig. In a forum like this, where you can choose to respond, I think the question is OK.
Agree and I think both arguments can be made.....then potential readers can decide which option makes the most sense for their own particular needs. I dislike debt but I bet I could make a case for why a newer financed rig could make sense for some.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:22 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Default Thin skinned.... living in the past..... VERY OLD SCHOOL......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post

He who lives with the most joy, wins!
Look... there's nothing wrong with being candid....too much secrecy ....I don't know why people are so unwilling to share their experiences with others..?

You can "spin" this anyway you like....

When people have asked me a direct question..I've given them a direct answer.... simple.

No... I'm not offended at all ... If you're not willing to share... I wonder what you have to contribute?
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:31 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Sometimes borrowing makes sense, even if most times it doesn't.

True story. My parents were of the old school where you saved up for what you want. After WWII (1946) they began saving for a modest home that cost $2000. By the time they saved their $2000 it was 1950, and due to inflation and pent up demand, that $2000 home cost them $4000. They put 1/2 down and paid off the rest in 15 years.

A motor home is not a house. It loses value and is best paid in cash. But when they cost the price of a small house, and with interest rates historically low, I'm not going to criticize someones personal choice so long as they're not spending their grocery money on it. Sometimes if you wait too long, you can lose your health or the opportunity to enjoy what you want to do in life.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Default Comparing apples to oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Sometimes borrowing makes sense, even if most times it doesn't.

True story. My parents were of the old school where you saved up for what you want. After WWII (1946) they began saving for a modest home that cost $2000. By the time they saved their $2000 it was 1950, and due to inflation and pent up demand, that $2000 home cost them $4000. They put 1/2 down and paid off the rest in 15 years.

A motor home is not a house. It loses value and is best paid in cash. But when they cost the price of a small house, and with interest rates historically low, I'm not going to criticize someones personal choice so long as they're not spending their grocery money on it. Sometimes if you wait too long, you can lose your health or the opportunity to enjoy what you want to do in life.
Very few people I know ever have "saved up" the cash for a house.... unnecessary and foolish.....in fact.... talk about lost opportunity...if I had done that... would never have a house!

My house increased in value 600 percent.... you'll never see this in an RV....

The RV is a huge depreciating asset....I love the "experience"... BUT, it was NOT a good financial move.....

Can't put a price on experience... I understand... SO.. I'm just enjoying it for the moment....

Probably will sell it in a couple of years.....
Old 08-28-2018, 07:49 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post

Can't put a price on experience... I understand... SO.. I'm just enjoying it for the moment....

Me too. .
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:54 PM   #50
Platinum Member

I once witnessed a conversation between a couple buying a car and a sales person. He was asking, “How much is the car?”. She focused on monthly payments and her voice seemed dominant. The salesman was in heaven bumping payoff time until monthly payments matched her desires. Sold. Different strokes for different folks.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:09 AM   #51
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Very few people I know ever have "saved up" the cash for a house.... unnecessary and foolish.....in fact.... talk about lost opportunity...if I had done that... would never have a house!

My house increased in value 600 percent.... you'll never see this in an RV....

The RV is a huge depreciating asset....I love the "experience"... BUT, it was NOT a good financial move.....

As we known, the Automobile products are the consumables, but the house are the value-added products.
Monica998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:18 AM   #52
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Huh? Please explain.Bud
Sorry, maybe there is a misunderstanding about "paid in Cash" for the RVs.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:33 PM   #53
Platinum Member

I paid $2300 (yes $2300) for my class B and of course in cash.

I know I could set it outside my house with a for sale sign on it and I could get $5000 for it within a day or two or a week. I could get close to $10,000 if I wanted to wait a month or two.

What I am trying to say is that if you buy used and for cash your loss will me minimal when trying to resell.

I know I would not want to buy a Class B that had a loan against it.

Sorry if this is somewhat off topic.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #54
Bronze Member

Maybe I am old fashioned but I consider an RV a "luxury" not a necessity therefore IMPO it is something you should have the cash for and not finance. Most people can calculate the "opportunity cost" they may be giving up on their "investments" just by looking at their last bank or credit card statement. For those of us fortunate enough to actually have an "opportunity cost" to consider it is unlikely we need more than a nanosecond to figure it out.
2013 Pleasureway Ford Excel TS
2012 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab
brianm142@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:01 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Default I agree, but a lot of people do finance them

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm142@hotmail.com View Post
Maybe I am old fashioned but I consider an RV a "luxury" not a necessity therefore IMPO it is something you should have the cash for and not finance. Most people can calculate the "opportunity cost" they may be giving up on their "investments" just by looking at their last bank or credit card statement. For those of us fortunate enough to actually have an "opportunity cost" to consider it is unlikely we need more than a nanosecond to figure it out.
2013 Pleasureway Ford Excel TS
2012 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab
Figured out that I would have almost paid two times the cash price.... that doesn't work for me.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:12 AM   #56

Don't yet have an RV.

However, I've been saving towards it. If I can get my father's house sold, that should give me the total for what I need, if I buy new.

My plan is to do what I did when I built my Barn Hunt practice area: take out a signature loan against my deposited cash in my credit union. I can set the term for whatever I want, and the payment for what I want. The difference between what I am earning on the deposited money and the loan interest is maybe 2%.
Marilynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:41 AM   #57
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilynx View Post
Don't yet have an RV.

However, I've been saving towards it. If I can get my father's house sold, that should give me the total for what I need, if I buy new.

My plan is to do what I did when I built my Barn Hunt practice area: take out a signature loan against my deposited cash in my credit union. I can set the term for whatever I want, and the payment for what I want. The difference between what I am earning on the deposited money and the loan interest is maybe 2%.
Every dream should be valued. And I do believe your dream for an RV will come true in the near future.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:16 AM   #58
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilynx View Post
Don't yet have an RV.

I am sure you will find your RV and please post a picture when you do.