Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2022, 05:53 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Diesel Fuel Nosils

What gives with diesel fuel Nosils? I own a 2020 Pleasureway Plateau FL on a 2019 MB chassis. Some diesel Nosils will not release the fill latch on my Mercedes while others will. The ones that don't work appear to have a smaller diameter nosil similar to gas. I'm sure this is a safety feature so you don't put gas in a diesel vehicle. Is there an adapter available to compensate for this issue? If there is, assuming the fill sensor is no longer in the tank fill neck, will auto shutoff work?
Dja06422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I've never once had a problem in 16 years with auto shutoff with diesel. I always gravitate to the smaller diameter nozzles that are in the gasoline islands and not the dedicated larger diameter truck nozzles.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:41 PM   #3
Bronze Member

I also only used the gas islands for cars that also supply diesel and I have never used truck stop fueling areas. I suspect that the gas station put the same (gas) Nosils on both gas and diesel pumps.
Dja06422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I usually try to pull into the trucking fill lanes if possible which usually have the big nozzles. My thinking is that this is the freshest diesel fuel with the fastest turnover from the truckers. I especially try to do this in early winter so I get the winter treated diesel fuel with the anti-gel additives. Who knows how infrequent the diesel tanks in the regular car lanes get used. I have never had a problem with the auto-shutoff in the trucking lanes but I try to pump through the big nozzles as slow as possible and stand right there to watch closely.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:49 PM   #5
Platinum Member

This thread has me contemplating fuel pouring out of nostrils.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 02:56 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dja06422 View Post
What gives with diesel fuel Nosils? I own a 2020 Pleasureway Plateau FL on a 2019 MB chassis. Some diesel Nosils will not release the fill latch on my Mercedes while others will. The ones that don't work appear to have a smaller diameter nosil similar to gas. I'm sure this is a safety feature so you don't put gas in a diesel vehicle. Is there an adapter available to compensate for this issue? If there is, assuming the fill sensor is no longer in the tank fill neck, will auto shutoff work?
I'm not clear which nozzles aren't tripping. There are three common sizes of fuel nozzle, 13/16" OD for unleaded gas, 15/16" OD for diesel, which used to be the size used for leaded gas by the way, and 1-1/8" OD which is the high flow rate truck size commonly found in truck stops. There are larger ones still, but I don't believe they're used in retail fueling stations.

I've only ever used the smaller 15/16" diesel nozzles in my Sprinter, and have never had one not trip when full. FWIW.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:30 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Since Dja06422 has expressed a continuing problem, it may not be the pump which triggers the trip but maybe how the nozzle is inserted. I insert the small diameter nozzle as far as I can where the splash guard is fully inserted also in the fuel receptor to minimize splashing outside if it occurs.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:41 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Problem in the K51 Misfuelling Prevention device, a $46 option for Sprinters. The issue in the diameter of the fueling nozzle. It requires a 24mm diameter nozzle to open the latch on this device as explained in the attached image from the Sprinter Equipment Book.

These two threads from the Sprinter-Source forum may offer some ideas on a solution:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/78348/

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/90074/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture3.JPG (86.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-05-2022, 11:23 AM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Problem in the K51 Misfuelling Prevention device, a $46 option for Sprinters. The issue in the diameter of the fueling nozzle. It requires a 24mm diameter nozzle to open the latch on this device as explained in the attached image from the Sprinter Equipment Book.

These two threads from the Sprinter-Source forum may offer some ideas on a solution:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/78348/

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/90074/
My Jeep Grand Cherokee with the EcoDiesel had a similar device. It would only allow the 15/16” diesel nozzle, which is supposed to be the standard in North America for car-sized diesel fills. Unleaded nozzles won’t open the gate.

I did once, and only once, run across a station (Mobil) that had an unleaded gas size (13/16”) diesel nozzle. It sounds like a small size difference, but it’s very obvious. I almost moved on, but after verifying the price display on top of the pump, the D2 button and hose, separate from the gas buttons and hose, and the smell of the nozzle, I went ahead and filled the tank with it. But it’s pretty goofy that a station would use the wrong size nozzle for diesel.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:05 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I'm conditioned now to not mistake gas for diesel at the pumps. Most are green handled and I carefully check before pumping. The green handle is only the preliminary way to check and usually on the ends. I've conditioned myself to ignore BP stations just out of principle.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:48 PM   #11

Default Down Sized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dja06422 View Post
2021 Pleasure way TS. I have run into this at least three or four times. I never use truck lanes. I just move on.
Down Sized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:12 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Buy and carry this nozzle adapter

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Ge...s%2C139&sr=8-3
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:45 PM   #13
Platinum Member

For those who don't have a VS30 Sprinter (2019+) they have moved the DEF filler nozzle toward the front integrated with the front grill to get to easier and enlarged the filler cup surround with a drain to over spill out on the ground and not the engine. Believe me, it is a lot easier to fill. Also, the DEF message comes on when you are 2.5 gallons down on a 4.8 gallon tank and the message is incessant. Only a fool can avoid it and get the countdown. 2.5 gallon DEF is sold at all truck stops and some service stations, auto stores, and Walmart. No mess, no fuss, and fills exactly full with no left over to haul or throw away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Mies DEF Filler.jpeg (437.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-13-2022, 02:21 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
For those who don't have a VS30 Sprinter (2019+) they have moved the DEF filler nozzle toward the front integrated with the front grill to get to easier and enlarged the filler cup surround with a drain to over spill out on the ground and not the engine. Believe me, it is a lot easier to fill.
I like the overflow diverter tube, and wish my 2018 had that. My fill port is in the front, right against grill, but I have to keep a hose or bucket of water with me when I fill it in case I overdo it. I don't want that nasty stuff laying on alternators or anything else for that matter.

It would be helpful if the fill pipe was clear or translucent, but it's black, so I have no idea when it's getting close to the top unless I'm sure it's below half full, which I'm not completely convinced is accurately reflected in the dash gauge, since it was showing just under half full for a long time, and when I filled it, it showed around 3/4 full.

Let's hope I'm not having level gauge 'issues' like so many diesel pusher folks do.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:40 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Also, the DEF message comes on when you are 2.5 gallons down on a 4.8 gallon tank and the message is incessant. Only a fool can avoid it and get the countdown.
This keeps getting repeated over and over, but the statement is extremely misleading.

To my knowledge, nobody has ever complained about the Mercedes "Fill DEF" warnings. They have always been adequate. Although it is true that an empty DEF tank will trigger a "n-starts remaining" state (as it should), that is not the problem. The problem is that so will ANY failure of the emissions system that prevents the DEF system from operating properly. This includes many sensors, the DEF tank itself (which contains its own sensors and heaters), the dosing pump, and many other things. And then there are the reported software bugs that are purported to produce false-positive conditions that detect non-existent failures. The consequence of these failures is an immediate and unequivocal threat that says "If you don't get this van to a dealer within the next n-starts, you will be stranded on the side of the road." This threat does not come only to those who ignore CEL lights, it comes immediately, and cannot be reset without specialized equipment and subscriptions that non-Mercedes mechanics almost never have.

If these events were rare, that would be one thing. But, statistically, they are not rare at all. The components themselves are ludicrously unreliable. For every owner who reports no problems (and those reports are usually carefully worded), there is one who has had such failures over and over. Most are somewhere in-between, but a single such event will likely spoil a precious trip.

People will tell you that all of this has been fixed in the VS-30. Maybe this is true, but there is simply no evidence (yet) to this effect, except words that we have heard before. It is the same system. In some cases, parts have been upgraded. But then, we are up to at least V.6 of (for example) of the NOx sensors (which, BTW are currently unavailable). Maybe 6 is the charm. Maybe not. The claim that there have been no reported failures in VS30s is false. It is too soon to judge their frequency.

It is a real shame, because the basic powertrain of the Sprinter is superb. And, as I have said before, I genuinely hope that the VS30 proves to be reliable. But, pretending that the problem has anything to do with forgetting to add DEF is just a diversion from the real problem.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:14 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Have you heard of anyone complaining about DEF with a VS30 Sprinter? There is also a visual level indicator of a tank on the dash now you and can see the percent down to the 1% increment and there is a line drawn on the visual tank at 2.5 gallons down. As I mentioned the 2.5 gallon down message is incessant, pops up and won't go away until you refill. Ignoring that like a fool will still get you down the road about 2,000 miles before any 10 count deadly warning would come up. However, you can't ignore. It's very annoying.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:07 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Have you heard of anyone complaining about DEF with a VS30 Sprinter?
If by "DEF", you mean "emissions failures", the answer sadly is "yes". Mostly irrelevant, though, since it took several years for folks to realize the extent of the issues with NCV3s.

Quote:
There is also a visual level indicator of a tank on the dash now you and can see the percent down to the 1% increment and there is a line drawn on the visual tank at 2.5 gallons down. As I mentioned the 2.5 gallon down message is incessant, pops up and won't go away until you refill. Ignoring that like a fool will still get you down the road about 2,000 miles before any 10 count deadly warning would come up. However, you can't ignore. It's very annoying.
Did you even read my last post?
Knowing when to add DEF is not the issue and never has been. The repeated mention of this non-issue is the only reason I posted what I did. By describing a "solution" to a non-problem is grossly misleading.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote