Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Difficulty getting propane fridge to light

Hello folks - This spring on a trip out west, we had difficulty getting our fridge to operate on propane. It is in a 2004 Roadtrek, 190P, and is a Dometic 3-way. Several times we needed to light the stove to get the gas to the fridge. Most times to start it, we needed to try several times; then stop, and then try again. Finally it would light (although if we moved anywhere, it would go out again.)

Hope someone can help with suggestions. Thanks.
ClassBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #2

Default Re: Difficulty getting propane fridge to light

When firing up the frig on propane i always start the stove first to make sure propane is in the lines. Then I set the frig to propane and hold the start button down for a count of 5 and press the igniter once. It usuallt won't start the first time. Then I repeat, count to 5, press the igniter. Will usually start about the 4th or 5th press. If you have to repeat this sequence many more times than that, then you probaby need to clean the burner.
TinyoneRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You mention the pilot light going out when you moved, there is nothing there to stop the wind from blowing it out. I have the same set-up and thought about adding a small shield of galvanized tin to see if it would help. We have been running on the battery going down the road and it has worked for us. Often times I will light off the generator and run the refrigerator from a/c - it don't take a lot more gas. Safe travels.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #4

Ron and ClassBee,
Although I mostly use the propane to run the frig when parked and use the 12 volt setting when traveling I've had occasion to use the propane setting when underway a few times. In each case the frig continued to work. If the flame goes out when moving the usual cause I've picked up from the forums is a need to clean the burner. I think, and don't quote me here, the burner is shielded from wind when driving.
TinyoneRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #5
Platinum Member

When I first got mine in '04, I tried a couple of times to run on the propane, but the pilot would go out when on the road. I then started using the batteries, or the generator sometimes. I have the Snyder cooling system installed, and when he installed it he is the one who told me about adding a piece to protect the wind from blowing out the pilot. I never did, and the batteries continue to perform good enough for us. I usually use low pressure air to blow out the pilot lite area each season. Safe travels.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:04 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to sewright33 Send a message via MSN to sewright33 Send a message via Yahoo to sewright33

I turned my propane on Thursday for the fridge only
Today I checked and freezer was thawing
2000 roadtrek 200V
It seems like a very short time if usage snd just a few things in it to make sure it was running ok
Thanks for any help
Ann
sewright33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:30 PM   #7
Platinum Member

the manual is available to download for free

cleaning the flue and setting the gap for the ignitor are 2 easy checks/fixes

ensuring that the gas is on and flowing ( gas in tank)

it's possible there is a problem with the electronics/controls or a simple adjustment

van is parked fairly level ?

on my van, if the fridge is set to auto and the gas isn't lighting, mine will switch to DC which is much less effective- but that indicates where the issue lies

I have good results with my 3 way, others replace- which can be costly

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:06 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to sewright33 Send a message via MSN to sewright33 Send a message via Yahoo to sewright33

It’s level
Did not switch and I know it should have
3rd roadtrek and
Let’s say the other two were great
Ann
sewright33 is offline   Reply With Quote