Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2022, 10:56 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Digital Outdoor/Indoor Thermometer

Anyone gotten one that works? My concern is that putting the probe outside next to the metal will give a false reading. Any suggestions? I want a small one, of course.
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:31 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Do you want to use it while driving or parked?
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I want to use it while parked.
Old 08-06-2022, 03:26 PM   #4
Platinum Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works fine. I put it on a leveling block in the shade underneath the coach. You will have to be creative if you think you can find a permanent place on the coach that works. If you find it let me know.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post

Works fine. I put it on a leveling block in the shade underneath the coach. You will have to be creative if you think you can find a permanent place on the coach that works. If you find it let me know.
I use a similar on that has two remotes plus the base has a channel. I use on in the fridge and the other I move around between the freezer, out door, or if it's cold enough to worry about freezing, in the wet bay.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:05 AM   #6
Platinum Member

One person told me she puts her probe in the 'basement.' I asked and she said that's the storage area in front of the read driver's side. That's on a Roadtrek. I'm going to try that. She fastened it with velcro.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:42 AM   #7
Platinum Member

We just replaced ours a couple of years ago for one that has a smaller outdoor sensor. We always have put the sensor in a ziplock bag to prevent leakage (when they say waterproof they tend to exaggerate) of water into in, but this time I also stuck a magnet to the inside of the bag. We can now stick it to any side of the van body we want to keep it out of the sun.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:47 AM   #8
Platinum Member

We use this one, I like pressure bar chart showing weather trend. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:39 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Thank you all for responding. I think I'm going to try putting the sensor inside the back storage and comparing what it says with what the app on my phone says to be sure it's accurate there. That way it will be permanent and also away from the sun and water.

Using a magnet sounds like a good idea.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:06 PM   #10
Platinum Member

It will be interesting to see what temps you get in the storage bin, as I think they will run hotter than ambient when in the sun with how much depending on the color of the paint. Being in a bin will also delay how long it takes the show the actual temp after an ambient temp change.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:41 PM   #11
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
It will be interesting to see what temps you get in the storage bin, as I think they will run hotter than ambient when in the sun with how much depending on the color of the paint. Being in a bin will also delay how long it takes the show the actual temp after an ambient temp change.
I agree. If one wants to know the temperature in the storage bin, place the sensor in the storage bin.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:04 PM   #12

I don't have an indoor/outdoor weather gauge as such, but I use a Sensorpush bluetooth sensor along with the accompanying app.

It measures temperature, humidity and barometric pressure and is extremely accurate.

I've put it my freezer to monitor the temperature, and outside in the desert heat and it works perfectly.

https://a.co/d/hpEN8SJ

Highly recommended! Made in the USA too!
UKDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:36 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soohma View Post
Anyone gotten one that works? My concern is that putting the probe outside next to the metal will give a false reading. Any suggestions? I want a small one, of course.
I am not sure what you are asking but I wanted a weather station with indoor outdoor temperature for our vintage RT. My wife bought me this one https://www.amazon.com/Wittime-Therm...s%2C823&sr=8-6

I put the sensor in a zip lock bag. I have put it up in the spare tire and tried it in the side storage compartment. In both cases it is NOT accurate while driving due, I suppose, to sun and roadway heat. However it does seem to be accurate when parked.

Safe sojourning.
sehsteve@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 12:21 AM   #14
Platinum Member

I do mostly boon docking where there is no signal of any kind so this likely wouldn't work for me. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:22 AM   #15
Platinum Member

It's when I'm parked I want it to be accurate so the 'basement' should work. If it's in the sun, I'll prop the door open.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:36 PM   #16
Platinum Member

We bought this one as its promoted to be waterproof and many other units state the sending unit must be protected from rain. We have a Coachmen Galleria and I attached it under the vehicle, near the spare tire. After 6,000+ miles of driving, it still functions well.

The display info is minimal; temps and humidity, which is all I want to know at a glance.

It is accurate, except after immediately stopping from a drive. It picks up under vehicle heat from the exhaust, engine, etc.

Old 08-15-2022, 12:57 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb496 View Post
We bought this one as its promoted to be waterproof and many other units state the sending unit must be protected from rain. We have a Coachmen Galleria and I attached it under the vehicle, near the spare tire. After 6,000+ miles of driving, it still functions well.

The display info is minimal; temps and humidity, which is all I want to know at a glance.

It is accurate, except after immediately stopping from a drive. It picks up under vehicle heat from the exhaust, engine, etc.

We have one of them for our frig and it works well, but we did put it in a ziplock because we always have done that with even the "waterproof" versions of thermometers which turned out not be totally waterproof as they aged.

This unit is a rechargeable sender it appears as ours is. Do you remove it regularly to recharge? The recharge port looks like the most vulnerable place for a leak to start, also.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:20 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We have one of them for our frig and it works well, but we did put it in a ziplock because we always have done that with even the "waterproof" versions of thermometers which turned out not be totally waterproof as they aged.

This unit is a rechargeable sender it appears as ours is. Do you remove it regularly to recharge? The recharge port looks like the most vulnerable place for a leak to start, also.

I installed it October 2021, and it needed to be recharged in May 2022. So, just the one charge cycle. I'll know more by the end of this season.

I went outside just now and looked at the outside sender, the charge port has a rubber plug to eliminate water entry.