Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2020, 04:56 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Whynter, Iceco, Dometic, etc are all crap.
I'll see whether that's so with the Iceco I just bought. It has a Secop compressor, a five year warranty and it's half the price of the similarly-sized Engel.

I got it from the big river company. When it arrived last week, I tested it to see how cold it would get, which turned out to be -5º F in the house. Later I put it out in the van for another test, raising the temp setting a little. It held 0º in an ambient temperature of 95º.

I'll be using it primarily as a refrigerator, not a freezer.

I have no intention of replacing the Norcold 3-way refrigerator in my van, which still works fine. I run in on propane while driving quite often. Besides propane, the other consumable on that fridge is the burner, which seems to corrode quickly. Wire brushing the slots is only a temporary fix.

I order water heater anodes and Norcold burners on about the same schedule.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:01 AM   #22
Bronze Member

Default Dometic refrigerator Replacement Chart

I recently replaced my 22 year old Dometic RM2310. That model is no loner made. So I Googled "Dometic Refrigerator Replacement Chart" and sure enough it popped up. I attached a copy of the Chart.

According to the chart the replacement options for your RM2453 are the 2451 or the 2454. The small "r" that you have at the end of your old model just designates which side that the hinge is on. So if you do get a new Dometic you would order the model with the "r" after the model number.

Computer Fan on Coils - By the way, the new Dometic replacement refrigerator that I recently bought (RM2354) now comes from the factory with a computer-type fan that blows on the coils.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic Refrig Replace Chart.pdf (77.8 KB, 22 views)

Now: 1998 Coachmen Starflyte FRB 21' Class B+
Formerly: 1996 Coachmen M19-RD GMC 19' Class B
TatraDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:10 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
I'll see whether that's so with the Iceco I just bought. It has a Secop compressor, a five year warranty and it's half the price of the similarly-sized Engel.
Mate,

Because it has a Danfoss Compressor I seriously considered it but only the Combination model. I had an appt to meet the Chinese Distributor at their warehouse when he let slip;

1. If it fails, we will just replace it.

2. The Combination units always run at twice the stated amp hour draw because frequently they are switching between the two.

NOT the single units.

If you have a single unit & it leaks a few more amps than stated, no issue but the bigger Dual Zone its an issue they havent found a work around yet.

I have a background dealing with Military & Civilian Threats, it serves me well in getting to the Human Truths.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:16 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatraDog View Post
I recently replaced my 22 year old Dometic RM2310. That model is no loner made. So I Googled "Dometic Refrigerator Replacement Chart" and sure enough it popped up. I attached a copy of the Chart.

According to the chart the replacement options for your RM2453 are the 2451 or the 2454. The small "r" that you have at the end of your old model just designates which side that the hinge is on. So if you do get a new Dometic you would order the model with the "r" after the model number.

Computer Fan on Coils - By the way, the new Dometic replacement refrigerator that I recently bought (RM2354) now comes from the factory with a computer-type fan that blows on the coils.

Dave

How did the RM2310 work for you?

Did it finally fail?

Now the RM2354 I pulled is working great comnected to a Cabin on propane.

It was burped properly for 24-48 hours first.

My issue is when seeing Patients or Clients for a couple of hours or more, its almost impossible to find level parking & for me, that was the demise for that fridge primarily plus the venting in Roadtreks is poor, frequently you are parked facing the sun & the rig itself runs over 100 degrees.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 08-27-2020, 07:40 PM   #25
Bronze Member

My first RM2310 was in my '96 Coachmen class B. I always ran it on propane and it worked fine.

The second RM2310 was in my '98 Coachmen Starflyte that I bought 3 years ago. It was not working when I bought it. So I bought the RM2354 to replace this unit.

Dave

Now: 1998 Coachmen Starflyte FRB 21' Class B+
Formerly: 1996 Coachmen M19-RD GMC 19' Class B
TatraDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:57 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatraDog View Post
My first RM2310 was in my '96 Coachmen class B. I always ran it on propane and it worked fine.

The second RM2310 was in my '98 Coachmen Starflyte that I bought 3 years ago. It was not working when I bought it. So I bought the RM2354 to replace this unit.

Dave
This is good Mate.

Where are you located?

As ti keeping it level, are you fanatical about that?

Do you have a thermometer you can read in the fridge?