Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2020, 01:52 AM   #1

Default Discount off msrp

I am looking to buy a new pleasure way. What would be a good percent off of MSRP for me to consider it a great deal?
Lajunglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:16 AM   #2
RMo
Bronze Member

Welcome to the Forum!

The classic “great deal” of lore is 35% off, but I don’t think you’ll get anywhere near that in the current Covid Seller’s Market. I would think 15% would be very good these days but the only way I know to find out is to call around and see what they are offering and after you turn them down see who gets back to you a week later and at what price. Then negotiate. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2020, 02:28 AM   #3
Bronze Member

You won't get as much off of a Class B as you would an A or a C. When I bought my Lexor in 2017, I got 14% off. I probably could have gotten a percent or two more, but that's it. Some class B makers have started the ridiculous markup game recently, but guys like PW and Leisure haven't yet. It's a sellers market right now so 10% would be a solid reduction on a PW.
JLO11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:24 AM   #4
Silver Member

If you do a factory order and can wait 6-7 months for delivery, you should be able to get 10% or more off msrp, maybe even around 15%.

Buying off the lot now, the supply/demand curve just isn’t working in your favor.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Right now the smallest PW models are selling with no discount... demand is so high.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Yep, my local dealer wants full sticker for freshly arrived new units or for those that will arrive shortly (e.g. they either are about to leave the factory or are already on a truck). They are willing to give a small discount off MSRP for a unit you order (e.g. get in the queue and wait as long as it takes for them to build your unit). Things change, of course, but as of the last couple of weeks that's the picture we're seeing here.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:25 PM   #7
Silver Member

If you can wait until next year there may be an influx of almost new rigs hitting the private market.
This has been a crazy year. I suspect many people rushed out & bought without factoring in the costs & maintenance required vs how much they'll actually use it.
Of coarse i could also be totally wrong!
Macodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:50 PM   #8

17% Is what we got off 2 different buys.
Kdbjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:12 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macodiva View Post
If you can wait until next year there may be an influx of almost new rigs hitting the private market.
This has been a crazy year. I suspect many people rushed out & bought without factoring in the costs & maintenance required vs how much they'll actually use it.
Of coarse i could also be totally wrong!
I actually think you're probably right.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:48 AM   #10
Platinum Member

In this market you’d be lucky to get a class B at any discount at all. Better off waiting until next spring / summer.
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lajunglejim View Post
I am looking to buy a new pleasure way. What would be a good percent off of MSRP for me to consider it a great deal?
We just purchased a 2021 Winnebago Solis 59PX at 22% discount of MSRP... likely the best you can do in this market, not much out there, but if on lot you have a chance.
rboegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:04 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboegh View Post
We just purchased a 2021 Winnebago Solis 59PX at 22% discount of MSRP... likely the best you can do in this market, not much out there, but if on lot you have a chance.
From which dealer did you make that purchase. Great discount!
Old 09-14-2020, 02:18 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
From which dealer did you make that purchase. Great discount!
Actually the normal discount for Winnebago products has been 25-35% since forever. So in this case, it is not even a good discount.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:08 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
Actually the normal discount for Winnebago products has been 25-35% since forever. So in this case, it is not even a good discount.
Of course I am referring to the current seller's market we are in. Great discount during this time.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #15
Bud
Platinum Member

Yes, what is a good deal September 14, 2020?

Even dealers are ignorant at times, or they just like you, or.......................
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:05 AM   #16
Silver Member

My very unscientific observations in July were that Sprinter-based rigs were more scarce than Transit and Promaster units, and the discounts were reflecting that. If my math is correct, I ultimately got a bit over 11% off on my PW Ascent at the end of July (six-month lead time). I had two different dealers flat-out state that "Pleasureway only sells at MSRP", which means that two different dealers lied to me, since even in this market I was able to get the discount (one of those two did finally see the light and I ultimately purchased from them). Sprinters "on the lot" were literally nonexistent for me at that time, so I wasn't able to judge how they were doing.
PleasantonMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:33 AM   #17
Silver Member

I would love to hear an entirely truthful and detailed “confessions of an RV salesman” saga about these times covering every class and make of RV. I wish that tale would include differentiations between the on-lot and factory order markets. I bet some of my assumptions have been (and continue to be) faulty.

Specifically, I have been under the assumption that a factory order guarantees a dealer a unit they may not have otherwise received in the future. But more recently, I have become aware of a concept that dealers are provided limited “build slots” that are allocated by the builder. If coveted build slots are not a myth, then the dealer is still influenced by supply/demand market forces. IOW, they want to be choosy about how much they sell these units for. Of course, there is some uncertainty for dealers since the current factory builds will be ready during the winter (when it’s more challenging to move inventory), and they don’t know if this surge in demand will be sustained. So, dealers are still incentivized to negotiate, perhaps after claiming to potential buyers that they will only accept MSRP. Cat and mouse game in an era where the rules of the game favor the cat.

Then, I also wonder why the builder doesn’t prioritize factory orders. IOW, why make a committed current buyer wait 2-3 months (and increase the risk of the deal falling through) before the builder starts the build? Not complaining, just wondering about the motivations and obligations of the builder.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:03 AM   #18
Bronze Member

I just picked up our new 2020 Midwest Automotive Design Legend FSL on Friday. Got 31% off msrp and the dealer paid for my flight to come get it (Michigan to Sioux Falls SD). 1100 mile trip back home was fantastic. My wife and I are really excited about our first RV.
AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho View Post
I would love to hear an entirely truthful and detailed “confessions of an RV salesman” saga about these times covering every class and make of RV. I wish that tale would include differentiations between the on-lot and factory order markets. I bet some of my assumptions have been (and continue to be) faulty.

Specifically, I have been under the assumption that a factory order guarantees a dealer a unit they may not have otherwise received in the future. But more recently, I have become aware of a concept that dealers are provided limited “build slots” that are allocated by the builder. If coveted build slots are not a myth, then the dealer is still influenced by supply/demand market forces. IOW, they want to be choosy about how much they sell these units for. Of course, there is some uncertainty for dealers since the current factory builds will be ready during the winter (when it’s more challenging to move inventory), and they don’t know if this surge in demand will be sustained. So, dealers are still incentivized to negotiate, perhaps after claiming to potential buyers that they will only accept MSRP. Cat and mouse game in an era where the rules of the game favor the cat.

Then, I also wonder why the builder doesn’t prioritize factory orders. IOW, why make a committed current buyer wait 2-3 months (and increase the risk of the deal falling through) before the builder starts the build? Not complaining, just wondering about the motivations and obligations of the builder.
I've always wondered about this phenomenon as well. One would think that factory orders would be pure gold for the dealers, but they sure don't seem to act that way.

I guess one issue is that every unit on the lot represents sunk cost and is burning carrying cost dollars every day it sits there. Being stuck with such a feature that never sells and requires a deep discount as a "discontinued model" is pretty painful, I suppose. But still...
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote