Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2021, 07:23 PM   #21
Silver Member

My father had a 1969 A100 Dodge van. It had the small block v8. Big side doors that swung out. We built it out over a period of two years in 1980-1982. Insulation, storage cabinets, wet bar, and a decent size permanent rear bed that served as a passenger lounge when driving for my brother and I. Meh, there were no seat belt laws yet. Shag carpet and walnut wood paneling. We took that van everywhere.. fishing trips and long family road trips throughout the western US. I guess I’ve been chasing that dream ever since.

I helped my buddy with his conversion a few years back (Promaster).. it’s STILL not done. I learned a lot during the process . Mostly, what to look for when purchasing my next class B. I wish I had the time and ability to build my dream van. When I started to factor in the plumbing and electrical wants/needs, I began to realize I’d be better off letting a professional outfitter handle it. I’m at a point in my life where the money isn’t the problem. Time however . Yeah, time is what I don’t have an unlimited supply of.
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:12 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorguy7 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but we want the 144" WB because we want to use the vehicle as both a Daily Driver and RV.
I used my 24' Sprinter ARV as a daily driver for the commute to work for 3 years. Just take 2 slots in the parking lot or back into a spot on the edge and let the rear hang over the curb.
Old 12-24-2021, 10:54 AM   #23
Silver Member

I know that 99% of you guys on this forum are handier than myself. In addition, at 69-years-old one of my critical needs is a toilet in the middle-of-the-night for my 110 mm. prostate. Having been to a couple of the RTRs, most DIY camper vans are of the poop-in-the-bucket variety. Ugh! The civil alternative is a compost toilet that most here I would hope would consider. Call me old-school, but after RVing for 36 years, I'm just fine with the black tank/grey tank system and I have yet to see those on a DIY camper van.

My thought is a good quality used camper van is the ticket. The manufacturers know what they are doing and the bugs should be worked out after a few years.

Merry Christmas!

Ray Brown
2012 Pleasure Way Plateau TD
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:41 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes47 View Post
I used my 24' Sprinter ARV as a daily driver for the commute to work for 3 years. Just take 2 slots in the parking lot or back into a spot on the edge and let the rear hang over the curb.
Mike,

I know as you said that backing up in a parking stall and hanging over a curb you can get into one stall without the nose poking out in the driving aisle. You have to choose a perimeter spot in the parking lot to do so. Backing up is a more difficult task. You cannot drive down a typical 24 ft. driveway (ala Walmart, Target, etc.) with cars on both sides and swing into a parking stall straight on because of the turning radius and then if you three point maneuver successfully and agonizingly you hang over in a second back to back spot. Daily driving is not just finding your favorite easy parking spot at work. A 144 WB Sprinter solves all those scenarios. But then if you park closer to the entrance you don't get as much exercise in walking.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:53 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
I know that 99% of you guys on this forum are handier than myself. In addition, at 69-years-old one of my critical needs is a toilet in the middle-of-the-night for my 110 mm. prostate. Having been to a couple of the RTRs, most DIY camper vans are of the poop-in-the-bucket variety. Ugh! The civil alternative is a compost toilet that most here I would hope would consider. Call me old-school, but after RVing for 36 years, I'm just fine with the black tank/grey tank system and I have yet to see those on a DIY camper van.

My thought is a good quality used camper van is the ticket. The manufacturers know what they are doing and the bugs should be worked out after a few years.

Merry Christmas!

Ray Brown
2012 Pleasure Way Plateau TD
Another problem with separator or so called composting toilet is I can't aim that well standing up anymore. I need a full toilet bowl. If I had to sit down to pee the movie, About Schmidt with Jack Nicholson pops into my head. Manly advantages of standing up are sacrificed.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 01:52 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quart Nalgene bottle. Problem solved.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
We ended up in the same place. Three years ago I was pretty sure I wanted to build my own, starting with a Transit chassis. Then we looked at B's, mostly to get ideas for the build. The follow-up conversation with my wife went something like:

Her: How much for a build?

Me: $40k for the chassis, $20K for the build

Her: How long will it take?

Me: 6 months.

Her: OK - so figure two years.

Me (under my breadth): [she's right.]

Her: I don't want to wait that long!

So we bought. But back then the prices were sane, it was cold out, and the lots were full of B's that had been sitting for six months.
Very funny & moreover, real.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote