Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2021, 05:01 PM   #1

Default DIY Class B

I considered building a DIY Class B RV probably on a MB or Ford Transit Chassis, but have changed my mind in favor of a manufactured RV.

Although I have the Technical Skills to do this, I now realize my age (73 years) is a limiting factor. In addition the time required to build it as well as difficulties in selling a DIY vehicle is problematic! In the end, the cost saving don't out-way the negatives.

So my solution is to now located a used PleasureWay Class B, maybe an Ascent of Plateau Model.
Sailorguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Time is a factor for DIY though my latest van took three years to get through MB startup delays with a factory in South Carolina, then backlog because Amazon took priority for their vans, and then COVID hit. I endured through it though I have the skills I too am in my 70s and realize that I could not build to the quality I could get from an RVIA certified upfitter with the combined knowledge of many of every facet that goes into a Class B and some stuff that could not be duplicated. My only regret because of COVID lockdowns I could not be there in person to iron out details and participate in development of changes. I would have traveled the 800 miles exactly one way several times if needed.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 09:09 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We ended up in the same place. Three years ago I was pretty sure I wanted to build my own, starting with a Transit chassis. Then we looked at B's, mostly to get ideas for the build. The follow-up conversation with my wife went something like:

Her: How much for a build?

Me: $40k for the chassis, $20K for the build

Her: How long will it take?

Me: 6 months.

Her: OK - so figure two years.

Me (under my breadth): [she's right.]

Her: I don't want to wait that long!

So we bought. But back then the prices were sane, it was cold out, and the lots were full of B's that had been sitting for six months.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:19 PM   #4
Platinum Member

For DIY to be the best option, you have to enjoy the process as well as the result. I was 68 when I started mine, approaching 75 now. If, heaven forbid, something happened to this one, I’d build another one.

That said, glad you found something you like. Enjoy.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:50 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorguy7 View Post
In the end, the cost saving don't out-way the negatives.
We're not quite sure why we went the DIY route (ProMaster). We'd been looking at numerous commercial Class B's. Maybe it was the fact that we were literally thrown-out of a couple of dealerships because we kept asking "what's behind the wall?" We wanted to know what we were buying. We wanted the layouts of the plumbing, schematics of the wiring and details concerning each 'gadget' and appliance included.

Dealers and salesmen don't know this 'stuff'. And, apparently, customers aren't to know it either. "Just push that button and throw this switch," we were instructed. "That's all you need to know."

Our friends, Tom and Jan, purchased a Hymer in early 2017 and made inquiry to their dealer, General RV of Huntley, Illinois concerning certain technical matters. The sales staff said they would inquire of Hymer if such information was available. The response, was not only a "no", but a "hell no, we're not giving that information to a customer!"

There is a very significant advantage to DIY that we didn't appreciate until we had completed our DIY and had used it - - you get what you want. In the 5 years since we completed our build, we've sampled a number of Class B's and are amazed how much we dislike their universally tight, cramped and, often, nearly windowless designs.

Yes, we saved some money - - but having something that 'fits us' would have been motivation, enough.
2016 159" High Top DIY ProMaster with 500ah Starlight Solar/Elite LiFePo4, 930 watts Hyundai Solar w/MidNite Solar Classic MPPT, Magnum 2812/MMP250-60S Charger/PSW w/remote, Nations 280amp 2nd Alternator with DIY [formerly, Balmar] regulator, NovaCool R4500 12/120v frig, 2 burner TruInduction cookstop, SMEV 8005 sink, FloJet R4426143 pump. No A/C or indoor washroom.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:02 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Winston is right on about not wanting customers to know anything about much of anything not in sales blurb. Roadtrek was no different when we got our 190 in 2008. After a while, we discovered the surround sound switch between the amplifier or van radio was not working and read the many of them were miswired. Roadtrek admitted many were and the dealer we had was useless, plus it was considered non warranty for some reason anyway at that point. Even with all that they would not provide a wiring diagram for the surround sound, or even just the switch pinouts. It took me many hours of test and track to just find out where the wires went to and them more time to test the switch to see which contacts did what as it was a huge stack switch with lots of pins.

Winnebago used to have full schematics online for their RVs but I don't know if they still do.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:25 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Our last two Class Bs we bought direct from Advanced RV. They don't have a dealer network and you can get full access to their shop. I know personally several of the the key shop personnel. They share most all the information of what they are building.

One ARV customer, Sue Valentine, actually was an intern worker on her van and participated in the whole process. There is a Youtube video on her van, Bucky.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:11 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I built a DIY van conversion back in the 70's when I was in the Navy living in Washington state. It was a minimal build on a 1973 Dodge B300 van. Had a pop-top added by shop in Minnesota while on a family visit. Then had it spray insulated in Seattle. Installed interior paneling and one extra window on the driver side. Installed a seat/bed combi unit and there were bunk beds in the pop-top for the kids. It had one small 12V coach battery and a port-a-potti. A basic iron tent camper that took me several years to complete. I also almost lost a finger from an accident working late one night in my garage after work.

Had it for nearly 20 years but seldom used it due to a busy work life. In 2000 switched to a vintage Airstream trailer towed by a Ford E350 van. That too was seldom used due to work-life limits. Sold the trailer and planned to get a B-van as best solution for my retirement travel needs.

When I retired from full-time work in 2012, I wanted to get a custom build by Advanced RV. But they were just getting started and it would take nearly a year to get a completed van. I wanted to travel so I got an Airstream Interstate - best decision. I've traveled extensively since then including a 3-month trip to Alaska.

Sailorguy7 - get that Pleasure-Way B-van and enjoy traveling while you still can.

- - Mike
Old 12-18-2021, 12:22 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
. . .
Winnebago used to have full schematics online for their RVs but I don't know if they still do.
Winnebago still has the best information about their products online in their owner resource web pages.

https://www.winnebago.com/owners/owner-resources

Should add that I rebuilt the entire electrical system on my 2013 Interstate over a period of several years since the original Airstream system was very limiting. Adding 400 watts of solar with extra batteries and a 2000 watt inverted made the van better than anything Airstream was selling until just recently.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:27 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
. . .
One ARV customer, Sue Valentine, actually was an intern worker on her van and participated in the whole process. There is a Youtube video on her van, Bucky.
Here is the video of Sue's Bucky build: https://youtu.be/zv7wyj9mBgA

Interestingly Sue sold it back to Advanced RV earlier this year and it has re-sold to someone else after Advanced RV gave it a light refurbishment.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:40 AM   #11
Platinum Member

In 2012/13 we decided to move away from trailer RV and return to great time we had with 77 and 85 Westfalias. We sold the trailer and started to look for a Westfalia like camper van, windows 360, similar layout, simple. We visited local conversion shops and dealers and didn’t find anything close. Sportsmobile was reasonably close but quality was questionable. Today there are more campervans and our decision could be different.

So, we went DIY route. In a few months the van was “sleepable”, within one year was fully “campable”.

For our DIY I used 80/20 aluminum framing technology, all modules were designed and material was precut or CNCed so final assembly turned into a Lego like putting together plus plumbing and wiring.

8 years later - we are very happy with it, the only problems we had were with Espar D5 furnace, Fridge and Mercedes Blue-tec system.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:52 AM   #12
Platinum Member

My first DIY RV was a 1968 Chevy van I bought in Newport, RI. It was owned by nuns and probably did not exceed 40 mph in 18,000 miles near sea and foggy salt. I put in a plywood floor and a upright cooler. For beds I had air mattresses. I was ready to go to Indianapolis when my tour of duty in the Navy ended. I, my wife and two toddlers set out. First breakdown was in Pennsylvania. Second breakdown was in Ohio. After that I didn’t dare to turn off the engine even when gassing up. At home I replaced every rubber hose and practically rebuilt the engine before heading to Michigan and then Minnesota. I had it a few more years camping in northern Minnesota.

My second RV was a vintage 1971 Airstream trailer I bought about 1990. I pulled it home and my neighbor had to park it since I was struggling to. I tinkered and fixed It up some but I never used it other than as a guest house. I sold it to a young guy who drove all the way from Utah. He said, “If I buy it my wife is going to not like it. If I come home without it my wife is going to get mad at me. I can’t win.” I felt sorry for him and reduced my price to reimburse him for his travels. I had to sell it. I had a Class B ordered and had to get rid of it.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:56 AM   #13
Platinum Member

We did more like Boxster described, I guess I would call it a hybrid factory class B plus altered so also DIY.

As it turned out is was purely accidental because this was our first camper so we really didn't know what we preferred. We went with a Chevy Roadtrek 190P because we liked the floorplan and Chevy ease of of repair, for the most part.

We have constantly updated and improved it over the years so it is truly to our desires, that at least we no know. We still haven't seen a new factory van we would trade for.

The big upside advantage of the "hybrid" model is the ability to do the upgrades and changes during non camping times so no lost camping time from day one to now, and that is 13 years.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 10:24 AM   #14
Platinum Member

When my wife and I were first married I bought a Class C with a salvage title for $500 from an insurance company because the interior had been burned out in a fire. I completely gutted the interior (the worst part of the job by far) and replaced the floor, ceiling, walls, built new cabinets, rewired, replumbed, etc. At the time I was young and broke so that was the only way we were going to own an RV. I have a woodworking shop and a machine shop but no interest in taking on a project like that - I want to be out hiking, kayaking, motorcycling, and doing other fun stuff. I'd rather just write a check.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 02:11 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Does anyone follow George Mauro's Humble Road videos? He was a professional photographer now retired. He makes great entertaining videos on Class B builds. I first met him at Advanced RV's Advanced Fest held every May. I don't think he had an RV or a Class B but he attended them more than once as did the FitRV couple. Steph and James were there because Steph put on a fitness seminar. George was there as an attendee.

Mauro built a DIY Class B for himself and then started a business. Basically he learned on the job. Started out in a small garage and has since expanded to another and has a helper, Alex. He has interesting ideas. He builds with 80-20 just like our GeorgeR. His latest is mocking up the van with cardboard constructs to visualize the van before it gets built. He has a website, Facebook page, and is on Instagram and Youtube with all his videos. Search Humble Road.
Old 12-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Sailorguy, If you're looking for a used Pleasure-Way, perhaps also consider a used Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit. Similar floor plan, built on Sprinter and Canadian quality. From a satisfied Free Spirit owner, packing for our Winter Solstice camping trip
Old 12-19-2021, 01:17 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Does anyone follow George Mauro's Humble Road videos? . . .
Yes I follow George's YouTube channel. Great ideas and very entertaining.
Old 12-19-2021, 03:34 AM   #18
Platinum Member

I have seen a few of George’s video, very well done indeed. His attention to detail is excellent, he aligns woodgrain to make sure his woodworking looks good. His plumbing and wiring are very straight and easy to follow to ease troubleshooting.

His aluminum 80/20 framing will make his conversion very strong; he could however reduce 80/20 weight and still retain required strength; will likely happen as he continues on his learning curve.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:07 PM   #19

Thanks for the suggestion, but we want the 144" WB because we want to use the vehicle as both a Daily Driver and RV.
Sailorguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:13 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Default Sportsmobile as middle ground

I'd love to start a DIY, but know that I don't know enough and it would take a really long time. (And would need to buy many more tools, which is not really a bad thing...)

We went the Sportsmobile route which is kinda middle ground. We could design to pretty much exactly what we wanted. (We stuck to their standard components for the most part.) But they made small changes such as adding a WiFi/LTE antenna etc.

They also sent us photos of the build process so we got to see what is under the walls. We didn't ask for schematics, but I'm pretty sure they would provide any details. Their support has been great to help me fix minor issues since I'm nowhere near their office in Austin.
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote