Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2018, 12:33 AM   #21
Site Team

I believe that over the course of my driving career I have had more alternator failures on trips than flat tires. Does that mean I should be carrying a spare alternator?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:13 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I believe that over the course of my driving career I have had more alternator failures on trips than flat tires. Does that mean I should be carrying a spare alternator?
If an alternator fails you still can drive for a lot of miles for help before the engine battery no longer supports ignition. In fact, if you have an Onan generator, you can drive from coast to coast without an alternator. On the other hand, when a tire blows out on a four tire coach, you are going nowhere until it is replaced unless you have duals in the rear, in which case the spare quandry goes away.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:43 AM   #23
Platinum Member

No spare.
I haven't had a flat I couldn't fix with a plug kit for decades (that's not to say it couldn't happen)... I DO have a Patch kit, slime, compressor, fix a flat, jack and tools if I need to remove the tire, and coachnet.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:53 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Like others, my rig came with a mini compressor that will pump in slime. I also bought a 'plug kit' for holes that might be a bit big for the slime.

My bumper / door real estate is far too valuable to haul around an awkward sized tire everywhere. However, on future trips to Baja (and maybe even way out in Eastern Oregon - like the Alvord desert) I may throw one of the mounted snow tires I bought into my utility trailer or strap it onto the roof rack that I'm currently making.

For 95% of my trips I think calling a mobile service crew would be best bet if not just fixing it with the slime or plugs while it's in-place. The torque on those bolt is high and the tires are heavy!
kite_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #25
Platinum Member

We've just recently experienced the pleasure of returning home with the same four tires with which we left. Apparently we have an above-average talent for hitting and running over things. For us, the question isn't whether to carry a spare, but how many spares?
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Anecdotal comment on tire changing and tow service generally:

This morning, the road between me and our Class B storage unit is closed for several more hours due to a fatality investigation in progress. I found this out because I was checking traffic as I need to pick up our rig so that we can replace our front struts - the Konis finally came in (they were on backorder).

A mile from me, a motorist with a disabled vehicle called for a tow earlier this morning. As the vehicle was being winched up by the tow driver, another vehicle came along and smashed into the entire lot of them. The driver of the disabled vehicle was standing far enough away such that he was not killed, but the tow driver was killed.

If you change your own tires, be very careful of where and how you do it. Myself, I'll be sticking with Good Sam. What I just described is a scene that repeats with some frequency.

As for our Class B, I think I'll wait on picking it up. I could take another route, but all the other local traffic is also diverting, so it's a mess.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Great anecdote InterBlog. It seems I see a news video almost every week about someone on the side of the road getting hit by a passing driver. Often it is a police officer. Thankfully they don’t often show those that end in death.

The only flat I’ve had on my Interstate was an inside dual discovered in a rest stop. I had a spare with me but used my free CoachNet service courtesy of Airstream. I renewed CoachNet after the first two years free expired.

I recently realized my CoachNet had expired, thought I had it on automatic renewal. The CoachNet is not cheap - so I did a little research. Found I could add roadside assistant coverage to both my vehicles, Prius and Interstate, via my existing policies at a fraction of the cost compared to CoachNet. I don’t get the extra travel service offered by CoachNet - but I don’t need them.

Wise advice to not be near your vehicle if you get disabled along the side of road.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Found I could add roadside assistant coverage to both my vehicles, Prius and Interstate, via my existing policies at a fraction of the cost compared to CoachNet. I don’t get the extra travel service offered by CoachNet - but I don’t need them.
I've read allegations (unverified) that when using roadside assistance provided as part of an insurance policy package, that it increased their subsequent premiums.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #29
Site Team

Boxter, What are you using instead of CoachNet? I am a big fan of them for basic service (agree on no need for the fancy travel coverage). They cover all your vehicles (including motorcycles and such), a second driver, have coverage in all areas of the country, and unlimited towage milage (the hard one).
Always interested in knowing if there is a better/cheaper alternative.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:45 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
If you change your own tires, be very careful of where and how you do it. Myself, I'll be sticking with Good Sam. What I just described is a scene that repeats with some frequency.
Absolutely. Also, you should know that the roadside assistance guy will be much safer than you. We had a driver-side flat on the N.J. Turnpike where the shoulder was just wide enough for our car. I'm perfectly capable of changing the car tire, but there was no way I was going to change that tire. I didn't even feel that safe sitting up on top of the Jersey wall and I wasn't happy with my wife sitting in the car! When the guy came to change the tire I was amazed. First, he jacked the entire back of the car up from behind the car so he didn't have to be in traffic for that part like I would have been. He had a battery-powered impact wrench, so he was only in danger on the driver side of the car for the time it took to unscrew 5 lug nugs, zitz, zitz, zitz. Then new tire and 5 lug nuts on. It was less than a minute on the traffic side of the car, plus he had his truck parked behind us with lights all over it, plus hazard triangles in the road.

The best part was that before he worked, he very seriously made sure that I knew I would be responsible for the cost, and it would be all of 35 bucks! Best life-saving $35 I ever spent!

That said, there are plenty of places where it's safe to do it yourself, particularly with a passenger side wheel. I had two flats in my Roadtrek, both caused by bad rubber valves. One was in my driveway, the other was on a tiny street in a small town on a Sunday with almost no traffic. I was a LOT younger then, and even so, it was a tough job due to the weight of the tire.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:00 PM   #31
Site Team

Since we are on the topic:
Several folks above have mentioned failed rubber valve stems. At least on Sprinters, this is a very common failure mode. If you put a tire pressure monitor sensor on the stem (a near necessity if you have duallies, BTW), the failure rate will rise to near certainty.
Metal stems are readily available, including those with integral extenders for rear dually wheels. These are an extremely good investment.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:39 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
If you change your own tires, be very careful of where and how you do it. Myself, I'll be sticking with Good Sam.
This is a very good point. A coworker of my husband became a double amputee while she was being a good samaritan on the interstate due to a subsequent collision.
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:31 AM   #33
Silver Member

I was just off the grid for a week. CA-AZ-UT. The one time we didn't walk the trail we ended up in quick sand.

A quick spin in the sand pulled the extended valve stem right out.

No cell service.

We walked about a mile or so towards an unmanned farm, got a bit of a signal and called AAA. Guess what, AAA and most others do not go past 50ft (or was that yards) off the road. We called them out anyway figuring we'd give the guy a few bucks to tow us out.

Did I mention jacks don't work on a high centered 3500 series van in quick sand.

When AAA showed so did the owner of that empty farm, a Hells Angel in his F550 pick up. The AAA refused to get into the dirt, the Hells Angel said he'd go to his farm and get the (piece of farm equipment I can't recall). I mentioned and so did AAA that his truck would be enough.

AAA lent us a tow chain, and he pulled us out to the main road. A road that went untraveled for the few hours we were there.

Since AAA was there always we let him handle changing the tire, the jack we had was tiny and the tire irons looked to be very annoying to use.

Next day we had a local tire shop replace the valve stem on the now spare for $10.

A spare tire is a necessity if you're doing any off the grid stuff or don't have all the time in the world to wait around for AAA.

If your rig came with one, don't remove it to increase your storage space, it's one of those I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it items.

Carry a plug kit and decently sized compressor as well.
Etzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:54 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Default I have metal valve stems

Quote:
Since we are on the topic:
Several folks above have mentioned failed rubber valve stems. At least on Sprinters, this is a very common failure mode. If you put a tire pressure monitor sensor on the stem (a near necessity if you have duallies, BTW), the failure rate will rise to near certainty.
Metal stems are readily available, including those with integral extenders for rear dually wheels. These are an extremely good investment.
They can also leak..... probably more durable ...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:56 AM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Boxter, What are you using instead of CoachNet? I am a big fan of them for basic service (agree on no need for the fancy travel coverage). They cover all your vehicles (including motorcycles and such), a second driver, have coverage in all areas of the country, and unlimited towage milage (the hard one).
Always interested in knowing if there is a better/cheaper alternative.

I have USAA insurance on my Prius and Progressive on my Sprinter. I've been a USAA customer for over 30 years, but USAA does not cover RV Sprinters, they coordinate coverage with Progressive, where I received a USAA discount. Adding roadside coverage option added about $30/year to cover both vehicles. I have an 800 number to call for assistance for each vehicle. The coverage looks about the same as CoachNet, tire change, fuel, battery charging and towing if needed. Both drivers covered.

Hopefully I won't need assistance again, but I've used my other coverage three times in last five years. Once from Mercedes due to dealer error on Sprinters fuel filter change, that required a tow. One flat tire change on Sprinter during a road trip courtesy of CoachNet. When the traction battery on my 2001 Prius died in 2014 after leaving it sitting for three months I had to have it towed to dealer to get new battery courtesy of CoachNet.

If my premium goes up after using the roadside assistance in the future I'll have to reevaluate the options. But most roadside assistance is coordinated by just a few companies and they provide to the numerous insurance providers. It's just a contracted service.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 06-10-2018, 04:11 AM   #36
Site Team

Thanks for the summary. Does the towing coverage have unlimited mileage to a qualified repair center?
Old 06-10-2018, 05:55 AM   #37
Platinum Member

Default Please define qualified.....

Quote:
Thanks for the summary. Does the towing coverage have unlimited mileage to a qualified repair center?
AAA Premiere RV will tow you to the shop of your choice up to 200 miles....
Old 06-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
AAA Premiere RV will tow you to the shop of your choice up to 200 miles....
Being a Sprinter owner who ventures out West, I would NEVER consider a roadside service plan that did not have unlimited-miles towing. Also, last time I checked, AAA coverage excluded certain states. Plus, they are almost always the high-priced provider.

I have tried them all over the years, and like many, I ultimately found my way to Coach-Net.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Default Higher priced..... correct

Quote:
Being a Sprinter owner who ventures out West, I would NEVER consider a roadside service plan that did not have unlimited-miles towing. Also, last time I checked, AAA coverage excluded certain states. Plus, they are almost always the high-priced provider.

I have tried them all over the years, and like many, I ultimately found my way to Coach-Net.
They're not just emergency road assistance.... and yes, they are certainly more expensive than others.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
They're not just emergency road assistance.
Yes, that's true. They are also a fiercely anti-environmental lobbying group:

The Secret Life of AAA, The Amicus Journal, Winter 2001

But, my real point is that by any objective measure, AAA is an inferior choice as an emergency road assistance provider.