Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2018, 05:27 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Do most of you have a "spare tire" onboard?

I would have thought that nearly everyone would have a spare tire... but, I was a little surprised to find a number of models like Pleasure Way and Leisure Travel do NOT.. I wonder if this was just a space thing, weight thing or what??

Hope I never have to use my spare tire... but, sure glad I have one.

If you don't have one... what do you do in the event of a problem?
I imagine getting a replacement on the road in a rural area is not too handy or easy.. and of course it would cause a pretty big delay getting you back on the road...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
I would have thought that nearly everyone would have a spare tire... but, I was a little surprised to find a number of models like Pleasure Way and Leisure Travel do NOT.. I wonder if this was just a space thing, weight thing or what??

Hope I never have to use my spare tire... but, sure glad I have one.

If you don't have one... what do you do in the event of a problem?
I imagine getting a replacement on the road in a rural area is not too handy or easy.. and of course it would cause a pretty big delay getting you back on the road...
We have one but because it came with the rig (Continental Kit). Many have said they couldn't/wouldn't change it themselves anyway and that many of these vehicles have reasonably easy to get spares. Most cars have gone to a no-spare model as well.

I have been tempted to take mine off to make it easy to access both rear doors but probably leave as is.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Many, many vehicles come without spares these days. I own a spare, but don't carry it. No perceived need. I have a plug kit and a compressor. In the extremely unlikely event I get a flat, CoachNet will save me. Yes, it would take a couple of hours, but it's a B-van. We can be comfortable and entertained no matter where we are.

I don't carry spare NOX sensors, either. The odds of needing one are considerably greater than ever needing a spare tire.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Our Roadtrek has the continental spare and it has come in handy on a couple occasions. The last time we had a flat we were deep in the woods of Arkansas and a long hike to cell service. If you don't boondock maybe no spare.

I jacked up the RT 210 with the jack that the factory put in it and changed the rear tire. Nothing like being in your 70s and hefting around an E tire and wheel but I feel blessed I can still do those things.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Only my GWV had a tire on the back door which was easily opened because of the style of carrier unlike Roadtrek's, but I never touched it. The LTV came without. The RT came with a tire taking up 50% of the area under the sofa, so it went into storage. So basically I haven't carried one since 2007. I use the same system as Avanti... retired, don't have a schedule... I can wait for the roadside assistance.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
Platinum Member

OP, to make a long story short and to re-post a pic I've shared on other threads, I lost not one but TWO tires last year in the location shown below (which is in Canada, not the U.S.). I had Good Sam coverage and they managed to dispatch a guy from 25 miles away who took one of those mobile "tire hospital" trucks out to the site and fixed them both right there (both had faulty stems). I was amazed at the quality of service. I called it in after business hours and it was done by noon the next day.

We do carry a spare underneath the chassis, but I'm debating whether to jettison it entirely. There are very few instances where I'd opt to change a tire myself. For the price of a good service plan, I'd rather leave that to the professionals.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Count me as another one that had a spare, but probably would never use it by myself.
Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #8
Silver Member

We have spare in ROADTREK. We drive to Yucatan each winter and there is no RV coverage. The Nexican government Green Angels ate on the main roads. We also take a fifth wheel and we have two spares for both fifth wheel and tow vehicle.

Have changed tires in Baja, Oakenque, and near Chichin Itza.

Reed and Elaine
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #9
Mfm
Bronze Member

Default Spare tire?

Have spare on left rear door...have never used it...but like to know that it is there even though it would be nice to have easier access to the rear doors.
Mfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Both of the RV's have a spare only because they were there when we each purchased ours.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Default I would carry a spare tire

I have had 5 class Bs. I have a also had tires blow out that could not be fixed with glue and a compressor. With the debris on the roadways today, even if a repair vehicle comes for you (which may take considerable time), they may not be able to fix your tire or carry another tire to mount on your rim. I bought a 2017 Pleasureway Ascent Sprinter and had the factory continental spare mounted. If for nothing else, I have peace of mind that I had a spare, plus the glue and compressor for small leaks. I hope I never have to use either one. Even if you cannot change the tire (no bigger than a full size pick-up truck wheel/tire), you can provide the good samaritan with the necessary parts and equipment to get you back on the road. Just my two cents...
RalphAscent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #12

We are in the process of purchasing a B van. and considering the places we like to go we definately would need a spare. Many of the areas here in NM do not have cell phone service and is a stretch for even my ham radio...
Jmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Default Exactly correct...you can't assume anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphAscent View Post
I have had 5 class Bs. I have a also had tires blow out that could not be fixed with glue and a compressor. With the debris on the roadways today, even if a repair vehicle comes for you (which may take considerable time), they may not be able to fix your tire or carry another tire to mount on your rim. I bought a 2017 Pleasureway Ascent Sprinter and had the factory continental spare mounted. If for nothing else, I have peace of mind that I had a spare, plus the glue and compressor for small leaks. I hope I never have to use either one. Even if you cannot change the tire (no bigger than a full size pick-up truck wheel/tire), you can provide the good samaritan with the necessary parts and equipment to get you back on the road. Just my two cents...
You know what they say about making "assumptions"..
the word "assume" . makes an "ass" out of "you" and "me"..

Even if you didn't know how or even needed help from a "good samaritan".. having a full sized spare ready to go is going to get you rolling a lot faster than waiting for cell service that hasn't been deployed in the area your in or being outside the norm...

You don't want to wander too far off the grid..if you're not prepared...

Good for you for being pro-active. I'm with you...I'm not going to jettison my spare..it's underneath the rig on the driver's side.. don't even know what I could use the space for..it's very hidden and unobstrusive... those guys at Roadtrek found a way to use every square inch of space on the rig for something...clever.... WHY change a factory install???
Old 06-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Default In Reach???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmier View Post
We are in the process of purchasing a B van. and considering the places we like to go we definately would need a spare. Many of the areas here in NM do not have cell phone service and is a stretch for even my ham radio...
Have you considered "In Reach"??? I'm torn between wanting the service... but, I'm afraid that I'll pay for something I won't need or use????
Old 06-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #15

I have a Sprinter with no spare. At first I was worried. The Sprinter came with a big bottle of green goop and an air compressor to pump up the flat. I might try the goop but after looking at the size of the tires and imaging me trying to change a flat tire, I came to the conclusion I would probably came my Good Sam people.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:23 PM   #16

Default Posted about this just the other day

Having bought a 30-year-old B about a year ago, I recently realized the spare mounted on the back was probably original and, when I checked, found it thoroughly dry rotted.

Then I started thinking about how much I actually NEEDED to lug this spare around with me. You see, for many years my auto insurance has included road/tow service (that I have used many, many times for a number of full-sized vans I have driven). When I have used it, I have usually had them send a flatbed.

So, given the fact I am never without a cellphone and have that service available at no on-the-spot cost, why am I dragging around that spare?

And yes, I know there will be times when I might find myself in a "dead spot" without service, but that doesn't men that everyone around me will be having the same issue. And it's a sure bet that any Highway patrolman is going to have a working cellphone.

So I removed the spare as well as the bracket that held it. I'm sure I will eventually find a better use for that space.
Pete M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #17
Silver Member

Our custom build has the spare that came with the Promaster. It's still mounted under the chassis but we relocated it to accommodate an 11 gallon propane tank. We're set up for prolonged boondocking out of cell phone range, so I think a spare makes sense. And for me, maintaining the van is a big part of the fun, so I would rather change a flat myself than call for help.
VanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Default Yes, I Have a Spare

Mine's on a tilt-down Continental Kit, so both back doors can be opened.

The spare is the original from 2004. Replacing it with another of the same brand tires I bought a couple of years ago is on my to-do list.

In addition to the (probably) sketchy spare, I carry a plug kit, an air compressor and a spray can of tire sealant. I also carry a high-quality socket that fits my lug nuts and an 18" or so breaker bar.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #19

I went for many years without a spare but when I purchased a new set of tires, i kept oneof the used ones as a spare. In addition, I have two repair kits: Sticky wicks to seal a puncture, a bottle of sealing liquid and a 12 volts air compressor. The spare is my 3rd option. Oh and I forgot about the AAA card
Old 06-06-2018, 11:09 PM   #20

I have a 2017 Roadtrek with the spare. I had a valve stem leak and was able to change the tire on my own. It was a bit of a hassle since I had to jack up one side of the van to get the spare out then jack up the other side to take the tire off and install it. I would recommend getting an aftermarket four way tire iron to remove the lug nuts. The supplied one does not provide enough leverage and I was lucky enough to borrow one. The tiny little jack lifted the 11,000 lb van easily. Being able to change the tire was a significant convenience and now that I know I can do it on my own gives me confidence on my travels.
South Bird is offline   Reply With Quote