Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2018, 01:44 AM   #21
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Were they selling them at the camp store?

Old 05-18-2018, 07:17 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I was just recently at a campground with tag warnings that there was extremely high water pressure and asked you to use a pressure regulator. I bet they had a few unhappy campers to have posted that.
I've also seen this at several campgrounds. One would assume they caused someone a problem to prompt the warning.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:44 PM   #23
Platinum Member

I have adjustable pressure regulator set for 30PSI. My water tank is pressure filled and to prevent potential damage the tank has 0.5 PSI pressure relief ¾” valve and controlled incoming pressure. Fill is done with 2 solenoid valves, one on incoming line and one in series with the pressure relief valve.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#4946k11/=1cwe9jd
https://www.mcmaster.com/#3847k73/=1cwe9xp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 213-1360.JPG (403.5 KB, 6 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:56 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Default It pays to be cautious

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I have adjustable pressure regulator set for 30PSI. My water tank is pressure filled and to prevent potential damage the tank has 0.5 PSI pressure relief ¾” valve and controlled incoming pressure. Fill is done with 2 solenoid valves, one on incoming line and one in series with the pressure relief valve.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#4946k11/=1cwe9jd
https://www.mcmaster.com/#3847k73/=1cwe9xp
After thinking about all this.. maybe it's easier just do the gravity fill... lighter footprint..
And, Class B's are all about mobility...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:38 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
After thinking about all this.. maybe it's easier just do the gravity fill... lighter footprint..
And, Class B's are all about mobility...
Having both ways is the best option. Pressure fill only is a consequence of DIY project. My tank is located under the van in location where gravity fill was not easy, pressure fill was easier to do. i underestimated available clearances to route a sufficient diameter gravity fill tube.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #26

We have had 2 RTs since 2012, a 212 P and now a CS Adventurous XL . Never have used the city water hookup and probably never will.
dbupson@cox.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #27
Silver Member

We spend four months every winter in Yucatan. The water is not the best so we purchase 20 liter garrafones of purified water. Have an extra water pump that we use to transfer water to the water inlet on right side of rear door frame.
Reed and Elaine
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Default Yes, the quality of water varies everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
We spend four months every winter in Yucatan. The water is not the best so we purchase 20 liter garrafones of purified water. Have an extra water pump that we use to transfer water to the water inlet on right side of rear door frame.
Reed and Elaine
Understood.

We carry bottled water for drinking and use the rig water for washing and using the toilet and bathroom sink..We might brush our teeth with the bathroom sink water, but, that's about it....

IF we ever use the shower?? And, we've been thinking of trying that out we'll also need the rig water for that...

OH, one more thing.. I recently saw a video from Roadtrek..they said.. don't connect the sewer line it will just make the liquid water in the tanks go dry...as you use your rig.... and if you use your toilet with any paper...it will stick to the walls of the tank... they recommended just let the tanks fill up ...then dump all at once...the gray water will flush through the macerator hose anything that's in the line...

If you are hooked up to city water... you're probably thinking about hooking up the sewer line...bad call.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:14 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Most people hook up to the sewer line but leave the valves closed until the tanks get full, than they just pull the handles to dump and shut them again.

They are continuously connected, but not continuously dumping.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:23 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Default I see... but, what's the point of this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Most people hook up to the sewer line but leave the valves closed until the tanks get full, than they just pull the handles to dump and shut them again.

They are continuously connected, but not continuously dumping.

OKAY, I see no reason to do this... the whole point of having a B is the smaller footprint and mobility...why would I have the sewer line even hooked up?? Especially if I wanted to dash off to the market or something??

We don't generally stay in one place more than a few days before we leave to go somewhere...
Old 05-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
OKAY, I see no reason to do this... the whole point of having a B is the smaller footprint and mobility...why would I have the sewer line even hooked up?? Especially if I wanted to dash off to the market or something??

We don't generally stay in one place more than a few days before we leave to go somewhere...
A lot of campsites have full hookups so a lot of folks with A, C, and B RVs see good reasons to use them. In your specific case, perhaps with more camping experience you will see or will not see some value in hookups.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:42 PM   #32
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:

There is no perfect set up.

There are as many reasons for people doing it
as reasons for people not doing it.

The key is -- do what you want, and be happy.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:

You asked why folks hook up when Roadtrek says not to, you got the answer, which is correct.

Just because you wouldn't do it, doesn't make others wrong, as BBQ said, everyone has their own way of wanting things.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #34
Silver Member

Almost every RV Park in Mexico uses septic tanks and have signs not to place toilet paper down toilet. Just put used TP in a zip lock bag: no plugged lines and a lot less volume in the black water tanks. We have a 2002 190 Versatile which does not have a macerater.

Had original sewer pipe/hose fall off near Coatzacoalcos (100 miles south of Veracruz. Younger son and family were to visit at Xpu Ha (20 kn from Tulum) and he brought a replacement hose. He and his engineer wife also helped repair mount to 315 W panel that ripped off in the world famous winds of Isthmus of Tehuantapec.
Reed and Elaine
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:48 PM   #35
Platinum Member

If you pay for full hookups both sewer and water, why not? You can then take a leisurely shower instead of the water saving marine showers inside your van without filling your tanks up. That’s admittedly a rare luxury because we don’t camp much in that situation. As for not needing to use your water pump, we rarely run enough water to make a difference. The pump is just a noisy reminder to conserve.

We seldom hookup to water except to replenish our fresh water tank on an average of about every 13 day’s combined with dumping our grey and black tanks. We will fill those tanks prior to dumping and then take on fresh water.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:45 AM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
No.
Has anyone ever actually seen dangerously-high pressures at a campground. I trust my Pex-based plumbing for anything reasonable.
I had an internal residential water pressure regulator as standard equipment in my '70 Airstream Safari and thought nothing about putting one on the tap, until one day I came back one hot day and found that my hose was three or four times its size and about to burst. The hose was ruined. The brass pressure regulator that goes on the spigot is for the hose. That it protects the plumbing in the coach is gravy.

I always use a pressure regulator on the spigot as well as a filter. I generally only hook the water up on either motorhome when I'm either in need of filling the fresh water tank, or if I'm staying more than one night.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:38 PM   #37
Bronze Member

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1, We have been traveling and I did not see your questions regarding my reply to your post until today.

There is nothing wrong with using the water pump, just prefer not hearing it cycle when we are not hooked up to water. If we are just overnighting we do not hook up to water and of course use the pump. We do connect to the electric since we do not stay in parking lots.

Since purchasing the Travato K, I always use our shower not public ones in parks or campgrounds and never connect the sewer hose until we are ready to dump.

We currently own a 2017 Travato K and are very pleased with it. Our previous B was a 2005 LTV Free Spirit. In between we owned a small class C. We prefer class Bs.

Some folks choose to use their Bs differently. It's all a matter of personal preferences and opinions, not who's right or wrong.

I think I covered your questions. Sorry it took a while.

Safe travels.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:27 PM   #38
Platinum Member

I am with you. I have never found it necessary to use the city water hook up. It is nice to pull the electric ang go.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:41 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Default Agree 100 percent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
I am with you. I have never found it necessary to use the city water hook up. It is nice to pull the electric ang go.
Quicker departure...less to do.. and simple... with the limited space on a Class B.. just makes more sense evertytime I think about it.. No worries about high water pressure....either... means no need to carry extra regulator...
Old 05-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #40
Platinum Member

I can say that the one time you might wish you had a shore hookup for water is when you need flush all the pink anitfreeze out of the system, and at least for us northerners, that antifreeze will be needed in the system if headed south for the winter, so you have to do it on the road. Getting it all out will work out your pump and even batteries if no shore power.

Blowing the system out with compressed air instead of antifreeze seems to be OK for some folks and others have had some broken plumbing stuff. The manufacturers are not nearly as careful about good plumbing practices and low point drains as they used to be.