Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2018, 11:14 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Do you have a wet bath and shower inside your RV?

I'm learning that a lot of van conversions, especially do it yourself setups skip having a built-in bathroom....

How's this working for you with the alternatives?

And, would you skip purchasing a model that didn't have this feature??

I personally think that having a fully functional installed bathroom is one of the best sales feature of a Class B....
Just me.

What are you doing and your thoughts??
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:28 AM   #2
Gold Member

Being I'm not a dirty hippie... Yes I must have a bathroom...

If you hang around town, campgrounds, local gyms, etc then maybe you can get around it, but I primarily boondock...
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
Bronze Member

just trying to keep this thread going. I have a shower built into my ongoing van build. (2014 promaster 159" wheelbase.) The Aktiv uses this platform. I haven't used it yet and was wondering how other builds are being used, designed etc.
dvrdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #4

I don't have the wet bath since for me it wastes so much room for something that is only used for 10-20 minutes total out of the whole day. My Roadtrek instead has a side toilet behind a door, but uses an isle shower. To me this is brilliant as it allows for more storage which is needed all the time, vs using excess space for a bathroom that is used minimally. I though it might be a pain to setup and put the shower setup away when using, but that hasn't been the case. IMO, its the best of both worlds, having the facilities to use, using the minimal amount of space, with only a minor inconvenience using its use.

But short answer, I wouldn't go without either a web bath or toilet/isle shower. Next to the bed, it probably the most important features for something you will be sleeping/staying in.
Reflex439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #5

If you want to write off (if you have a loan and are paying interest) your Class B as a second home, it must have a bathroom in addition to bedroom and kitchen facilities.
Patty1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #6

Does that work with the new tax laws? It is my understanding that when they raised the standard deduction level they eliminated many of the itemized deductions. Admittedly, I am not sure about this.

Back to the original topic. I like the idea of saving interior space for storage and using an outdoor shower (winter time,yikes) or one of those shower trays some custom builders install.
semdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:36 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I have a hot shower in my 136” PM, and no space is "wasted."

https://msnomersvan.wordpress.com/20...01/the-shower/

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:04 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrdwn View Post
I have a shower built into my ongoing van build. (2014 promaster 159" wheelbase.) The Aktiv uses this platform. I haven't used it yet and was wondering how other builds are being used, designed etc.
Hi David, good to see another Promaster 159 build. Slowly self building mine starting at the rear, working down the galley side (street side) first followed by the other side where a 30"x 22" shower will go next to shorter counter housing the AC unit, space heater and 1.1 cf freezer. Shower having not only hot water but piped space heat for comfort. The 159" PM has a lot of room inside.

Good luck with your build.

Santiago
Old 01-04-2019, 06:12 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Tradeoffs

There is another angle of an inside shower, we took the right turn on the Old Priest Grade short-cut to Yosemite. Any design is a balancing of tradeoffs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-ZGR10184.JPG (382.5 KB, 27 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:01 AM   #10
Gold Member

I do, in my 2017 Promaster Sportsmobile with electric penthouse top (now for sale) and we just built one in, in my almost finished 2018 Promaster 156”, Tall Roof build out. It’s a cool layout and so so functional. It has storage galore (I transport animals from rescues to sanctuaries or to the furever homes). I am so loving having all the goodies packed into a small RV that gets 20 MPG. I’ll have to post a video of the buildout...
But yeah, standing height, a shower/bathroom and a rooftop a/c were my 3 must-haves. I’m getting that and so much more.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Those weighing whether or not to include a wet bath would be wise to view this 30-second GIF below. Road engineers size culverts for worst-case rain events. Smart Class B owners design vans for worst-case mosquito events (among many other factors). Vans and road drainage culverts should never be designed for average events. That is a first-class ticket to functional failure.

I frequently hear the statement made "you don't need to waste space on a wet bath - you can just shower outdoors" and I think to myself, "Oh, you must not ever intend to travel where I travel - either that, or you don't understand what you are in for."

There have been times when mosquitoes have swarmed my rear flap windows in such numbers that their collective noise has awakened me from a dead sleep (literally just like this vid below). When they surge like that, there's no going outside the van for showers or toilet or anything else.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Hi David, good to see another Promaster 159 build. Slowly self building mine starting at the rear, working down the galley side (street side) first followed by the other side where a 30"x 22" shower will go next to shorter counter housing the AC unit, space heater and 1.1 cf freezer. Shower having not only hot water but piped space heat for comfort. The 159" PM has a lot of room inside.

Good luck with your build.

Santiago

Sounds like a nice setup. We have similar size showers. Mine is 32 wide by 24 deep. I am still thinking about how i'm going to get my hot water. As with everything in a class B the shower/toilet area is also a closet/storage that can be cleared quick enough when a shower is needed.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Quote:
I am still thinking about how i'm going to get my hot water.
Hi,

I will be ordering a 4 gal Isotherm water heater. All models have stainless tanks with excellent reputation in the boating world.

Comes with 1200/750 watt 120vAC element as well as internal heat exchanger to utilize engine coolant if desired. I can see using coolant as a future project. I read that the tank is sufficiently insulated to stay hot 24 hours and has thermal bypass so as to not scald. The SPA version is same but with non stainless outer shell and a couple hundred dollars less, same everything else.

Santiago

Edit: To be clear, not recommending the optional 1200 watt version.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:36 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I have two ways to heat shower water with no plumbing required. We travel and shower year-round, so a plumbed system vulnerable to freezing would not work.

Interblog, you are so correct. I remember stopping at Holly Beach, LA, and the mosquitoes literally darkened the windows. It is important to us that if necessary we can function without opening a door for any reason.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #15
Bronze Member

I'm looking at using propane. Some parks don't have electrical hook ups. BLM camping doesn't either. I guess this kind of camping IMO calls for showers. I've been looking at the portable insta hot propane water heaters but it seems that 1 out of 5 have issues. I haven't been looking for very long though.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #16
Bronze Member

Quote:
I'm looking at using propane. Some parks don't have electrical hook ups. BLM camping doesn't either.
Oh yes, that makes a difference.

My use is different, always on the move hoping to cover everything north of the Rio Grand up to Alaska. When we boondock, it will be less than three days and can still live off house batteries. I agree propane is a great and proven source of energy for heating water and space. If you keep water tank and pipes inside van you won't need to worry about freezing.

Santiago
Old 01-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm looking at using propane. Some parks don't have electrical hook ups. BLM camping doesn't either. I guess this kind of camping IMO calls for showers. I've been looking at the portable insta hot propane water heaters but it seems that 1 out of 5 have issues. I haven't been looking for very long though.
Early in the design process I was considering using LPG and Propex was on top of my list. Malaga is their 3.5 gal. cold water heater. They have a furnace which can be mounted under the floor. Ended with diesel water/space heating but it was close run. If I do it again, I would reconsider Propex, diesel heating requires higher maintenance than clean burning propane. https://www.propexheatsource.com/heaters/
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (392.4 KB, 6 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #18
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
I have two ways to heat shower water with no plumbing required. We travel and shower year-round, so a plumbed system vulnerable to freezing would not work.

Interblog, you are so correct. I remember stopping at Holly Beach, LA, and the mosquitoes literally darkened the windows. It is important to us that if necessary we can function without opening a door for any reason.
I also do it with no plumbing whatsoever, for the same reasons you stated. And aside from a tiny tiny bit more “convience”, this setup is easier and better. AND future-proof.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #19
Site Team

We have a large, luxurious, heated, fully-equipped shower with Espar D5-flash-plate hot water and four-season plumbing. It is the best part of our van. I smile every morning during my daily shower.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:07 AM   #20
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Any design is a balancing of tradeoffs.
Spoken like a true designer.

Santiago