Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2022, 04:30 PM   #21
Platinum Member

I've owned Class B's for 13 or 14 years now, all the same size as my current 1999 Roadtrek 190 Popular. I just about always sleep in my mine as that's what I got it for. I mostly have used mine to travel to dog shows and have gone as far as Vermont and Georgia (from Iowa) for shows. I had 8 miniature dachshunds, so it was much easier to stay in an RV than haul crates into a motel. Plus, everything is so much simpler while traveling. Since these aren't vacations, per se, I will stop at Walmarts or rest stops for the night, if I get too tired. I only have to potty the dogs and then I can stay inside my RT. I have camped in mine at 10 degrees at a dog show one weekend, and I usually camp in my sister's driveway in Indiana at Christmas time. I prefer staying in my Roadtrek with my dogs and having some private time instead of staying in her house. I think the longest I've camped in mine has been 3 weeks, but I do plan to live in mine after I retire later this year. Maybe eventually, I might get a small Class C, as it would be nice to have a full bathroom, an oven, and a bit more floor space for the dogs since I'll be living in it, but it's SO much easier to drive and park the Roadtrek, as well as it having better gas mileage.
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:48 PM   #22
Bronze Member

We love sleeping in our 19' class B. Super cozy!
OregonTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:50 PM   #23
Bronze Member

Default We Sleep in the Van

We sleep in the van, as with so many other respondents. The Solis PX is plenty big, and we spent 125 nights in it last year. We are happier visiting friends if we can stay in our own camper.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:01 PM   #24

Indeed we do sleep in our Era 70A. That is one of the reasons we bought that model, a large bed with a real mattress that can accomodate my 6'2" frame. We put a mattress topper on our bed and get very good sleep from it!
KYRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:05 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Default Mini-class A or Class B?

We sleep/live in ours, but we have a Sprinter based unit with lots of room. Like many of the newer class B's, it is probably closer to a mini-class A. We often do 6 to 8 weeks at a time. Finished our last trip before Christmas and are headed out again next week. We will likely come back in early April.

We stayed in a hotel one night when our furnace had gone out. I remember noticing how annoying the process was of schlepping stuff in and out of a hotel room. In the RV everything we need is right there. And you are always in a familiar space. With Covid concerns, you don't have to interact with anyone.

I think the idea that the more you do it, the less effort it requires is spot on. You develop routines and store stuff so the things you use regularly are easily accessible.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:09 PM   #26

I sleep in mine always.
jston1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:15 PM   #27
Bronze Member

I wanted an RV specifically because of the in and out movement of all the bags, suitcases, etc.

I sleep better in our DIY Class B Promaster than I do in a hotel.

During Covid, the van became our "mobile dining room". We didn't want to go to any indoor restaurants. But when you want a Pepe's (New Haven, CT) Pizza, you NEED a Pepe's Pizza. So, we took the van, set up the Lagun, and enjoyed piping hot pizza that they actually delivered to our van in their parking lot! It was fun watching other Pepe's fans eating outside, standing around, with the pizza on the hood of the car.

For the past 2 years, no hotels but a number of trips, usually in CGs. Before that, a hotel was an occasional one night event on a long trip.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:21 PM   #28

Default Sleeping in Class B

We sleep, eat and bath in our van 90% of the time. Spending months on the road. We purposely sprinkle in luxury hotels for Long showers, fine food, room service, massage, pool, spa, gym, laundry, wi-fi etc.. We will also use the hotel opportunity for special events such as concerts and trade shows. It really depends on the trip, distance traveled, locations, and the ability to stealth camp conveniently. Use the hotel to your advantage and you will feel like a million bucks when you get back on the road.

Tip: call hotel your interested in and ask for any specials. We’ve gotten some really good rates on slow nights. Then compare to Hotels tonight and hotels.com. Also ask for early check in and late check out if needed. *Double check height of van and hotel parking height restrictions.
bblakersfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:57 PM   #29

Default Both!

Like yourself, I also worked traveling via tour busses. Great being driven by professional drivers, but hands down prefer zen privacy sleep ala my Roadtrek.

I sleep in her during travel between home and family & friends’ driveways, en route to wherever I left my boat (slowly cruising the great river loop South), then staying aboard vessel.

Between all that fuel consumption I would not waste a dime on hotels - especially considering 95% of motels along highways are downright disgusting (reason for going Class B).

Catching zz’s in own comfy space with blackout curtains at rest areas (or State parks with dump site amenities) en route is perfectly fine for me - have even parked and slept on downtown steets of major cities with no issue whatsoever.
Alas she can’t fit into my home garage (thanks to municipal limit of garage door height to 7ft.

Unless you are headed to a wonderful resort spa - sleep in private B!
EileenMink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:10 PM   #30

Smile Sleeping in our class B,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrysimps@aol.com View Post
I was wondering if most Class B owners actually sleep in their RV's or if they use them for traveling vehicles and stay in hotels? I really like my 19 foot Class B to travel down the road with the refrigerator and bathroom, get relatively good gas mileage, and visit sites and towns because I can park it anywhere. However, I think it is a bit too small to actually live in for many nights. So, fellow Class B forum members, do you wish you would have bought a bigger RV, like a Class A, B+, C, or Super C?
When we bought our 17 ft Road Trek, it was with the plan of staying in hotels,motels. As luck would have it, our first night out there were no motels available. We stayed in our little B. Our first trip lasted 3 1/2 months and we never stayed in a hotel or motel. We have owned our road trek for 13 years and have stayed in motels three times. Those were the result of chigger infestation in Florida. We love it, and have no fear of bedbugs or other insects. Except for chiggers that hang from trees. Good luck with your decision.
Neil Worley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:20 PM   #31
Platinum Member

We have had out RT 08C210P for about 5 years and have slept in a hote only a couple of times when we were winterized and heading South. Otherwise, we have traveled up to about 7 or 8 weeks at a time and never felt the need for a hotel.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:44 PM   #32
Bronze Member

We sleep in our RoadTrek 200, when traveling we spend most of our time doing activities. So the size does not bother us. Our main complaint was making the bed, but I have 2” of memory foam we make the sheets on. So we just roll it to the back and undo the bed. When we are ready for bed just make the bed and roll out the memory foam with our sheets. Takes 5 minutes and the memory foam makes the bed very comfortable. We are in our early 60’s so good for now but I could see us wanting a permanent bed sometime in the future.
Hammernine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:52 PM   #33
Site Team

You can mark us down in the "never used a motel" column. Never even used a campground shower!
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:11 PM   #34

Default Home away from home

I used mine as a travel buggy to dog shows and then one day my noise-sensitive pup did not want to leave her RV hideyhole so I stayed with her. I saw the benefit in using the RV as fully intended, saved some money in hotel fees (which often add-on for dogs), really stayed away from the bed bug cooties, my dog is much more relaxed, we pop open the door and we are in very beautiful "backyards" when camping or boondocking. If you have it why not use it?
krgracia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:19 PM   #35
Silver Member

We sleep in the van. Occasionally, particularly if it is going to rain through the evening and overnight, we'll take a motel.
Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:22 PM   #36

No regrets - would not trade what I can sleep, park and drive anywhere for a larger unit requiring paid parking and hassle of towing a second smaller vehicle just to get into town and park. IMO Huge waste of time and $$ dealing with all that. I’m not specifically knocking Cs or A’s. All that hassle is just not for me. Everyone has their own uses so no matter what our resonses are - do what makes you happy.
EileenMink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:22 PM   #37

For 6 months travelling the US I slept in my 1997 Roadtrek 190 Popular. I was so much more comfortable than any motel and as comfortable as my bed at home. Can't wait for the Spring to do that again in Canada.
Sary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:47 PM   #38

Default I have a class B to camp in

My Class B is for traveling, sleeping, cooking, eating; napping ,sightseeing, shopping, boondocking, driveway surfing, parking and whatever you can think of. Sure saves a lot of money. I liked it so much that after three years I decided it suited fulltiming since most of my time is outdoors. Been full time for three years. I love the odd rainy day, snuggled up on my couch with a beautiful view all around. There's no fear of forgetting anything since everything comes with me in my little house.
Why limit your fun by staying in a hotel with your own little hotel sitting outside. You can even take your pet. Besides, it's safer during covid. Best of all on you can stay for free if you would like.
BevOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:36 PM   #39
Silver Member

I always sleep in my 98' Roadtrek Popular. Will admit to spending nights in KOA campsites for showers. Longest trip, 7,000 miles plus, 2 months plus, California to West Virginia, S to Florida, Arkansas, Nebraska, Utah and all places in between. I was traveling with my cat Pepper. He was upset for first 3 days then relaxed and enjoyed the travels.
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:21 PM   #40

Exactly what we do.
hherbster is offline   Reply With Quote