Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #1

Default Do you Tow with your B

My wife & I have been rv'ers for some time and are currently in our Dutch Star 40' Diesel Pusher. We want to scale down and are seriously considering a Class B. My only question is about having a toad or always using your class B to go places once you arrive at a destination. We like to get somewhere and explore out the area when we get settled. I have always had a toad, but wouldn't want to rtow my jeep on the roadtrek/pleasureway that I am considering to buy. Please share with me what you do and if it works comfortable with you.
Thanks in advance for your insight.
Mike143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:39 AM   #2

Default Re: Do you Tow with your B

We sold our Class A (34' Monaco) early this year. It was spending much more time in storage than on the road.

Nearly two months ago we bought a Roadtrek 190 Popular and have already put 5000 miles on it. It takes us absolutely everywhere we want to go so we now have no need for a toad. There are no hassles with towing, parking, etc. Our travels are much more spontaneous and fun.

Settling into a camp space is about a 5 minute job (No more spousal frustrations with backing the beast into the site, no leveling, no bump out rooms, no heavy 50 amp cable, I could go on and on...). Newer Roadtreks come with a macerator pump so dumping is also a 5 minute job. We have found we use much less water so have taken to asking for electric-only sites when we're not boondocking.

Granted, you'll be giving up a lot of square footage and some "luxury" moving from a A to a B. But our B is well-designed, well-built, and easy to drive. About the only negative I can think of is the 2.8 kw Onan Micro-lite generator on our B is much more noisy than the 5 kw Onan Emerald that was on the Monaco. For us, that's a minor inconvenience not a major drawback.

We've had a Class A, Class C, 5th wheel, two travel trailers...and a tent. Our B beats them all.

I loved the Monaco but only when it was standing still. Haven't missed it for even a minute.

Good luck in making your decision!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Platinum Member

As the above response indicates, no need to tow a car behind a B. Once you've driven it a bit, you'll find it to be as easy to maneuver as a large sedan (remember them?) or pickup. I do tow, but it is my closet-on-wheels. And it gets left behind at the parking spot in campgrounds or just left behind the rear bumper the rest of the time. Maneuvering it becomes second nature.

Enjoy!

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Not towing is one of it's finer aspect I like about the B. Like someone said, you can be set-up or taken down in a few minutes. Also, if you leave your CG to explore and decide not to return, or can't, your home is right there. We pick up groceries and the cold stuff and stay out and hit the shopping centers...parking right where everyone else parks. Also, not towing, makes it easier to get on the ferrys. We average around 16.5-17mpg, and I keep up with all traffic. It is a very popular class lately, and we wouldn't trade or sell under any circumstances. Jump on the trend and enjoy the backroads...lots of really neat things out there. Safe travels.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #5

I just got into the Class "B" club. I have a 28' travel trailer and a HD pickup. I really like the Class "B" and use it back and forth to work more than the pickup. We were going to sell the TT but if we are going to go to the beach and spend 1-2 weeks in the same location it's going to be the TT. If Linda and I decide to travel from place to place not staying put for more than a few days we'll take the "B". Haven't found any problems in and out or parking anywhere. No need to tow, as above said, it takes minutes to drop the electric cable and away you go.............Mike

Gunruner1917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #6

I agree with those who say that one of the beneits of owning a B is not having to have a toad. Now, that being said, we DO pull a Honda Fit behind our 2007 Pleasure Way Excel equipped with a V8 engine. We have a summer home in the North Georgia Mountains and need a second vehicle while we are there.
Jerry Wyatt
jerryrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:26 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

On scale, wouldn't taking a bicycle with you on a hitch mount on your B, be the equivalent of
a toad or trailer with a car in it on a larger RV? Just a thought.
We were thinking about getting some folding bikes to be our "toads". We don't think we'd
feel safe leaving the B with a couple of bikes on a rack outside, so folders we could store
inside, would work for us.