Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2018, 02:55 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Do you use your wet bathroom for showers?

OK, I'll admit this may sound like a trick question, but, honestly, it's NOT....

We purchased our 2012 Roadtrek RS Adventuous one year ago, and we've never used the shower.. REALLY...
And, there's no evidence that the shower has ever been used by the original owners... they primarily used it to go to wine tasting events and took friends.... when we purchased the rig, the generator had maybe 15 hours on it...in 5 years.. and only 26,000 miles...

Further, I've only met one person who ever actually said they took a shower in a Roadtrek 190 ... and said it was an "experience"...of course the 190 and the 210 has the shower drain in the aisle... thankfully, the RS Adventuous has a different setup.. drain is near the outside wall on the passenger side of the coach... The doors are designed to pivot and there's a five inch channel around the base of the wet bath.

Then there's the issue of everything getting wet...do you attempt to dry everything every time you use it...or does the fan take care of most of this..??

We normally are in places that have showers so we just use the facilities there...

What's your experience??
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:19 AM   #2
Site Team

I shower in our rig literally every morning. Next to having our own bed, having our own shower is the greatest luxury of having a B-van. I have never come close to understanding why anyone would use a public shower when they are carrying around their very own.

As for drying, I just do a quick wipe down with my towel and then hang it up to dry.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:22 AM   #3
Platinum Member

For the last 35 years we had a few boats and RVs with dry and wet showers and they were practically not used. So, for the current DIY conversion we just have external shower connection primarily used to rinse dishes.

The following are our 3 reasons why we use campgrounds’ (marina in the past) showers if available:

1. Water capacities limitation on sub 20’ van (16 gal fresh water in our current van), if water hook-ups are available so are the campground showers without fresh and grey water limitations. 5 min. walk is OK.

2. We like windows and openness, shower takes considerable space on 144” WB van.

3. All RV dry and wet showers we had were claustrophobically small, limited elbow room or bending down constrains.

If we have a large C or A class with home like bathroom we could revisit shower inside but we will not have large C or A class.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:25 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I've used the aisle shower in my 190 a few times. It's not my preference - I'd rather use the campground showers if they're available - but if it's necessary to use it, it works well enough. I dry off the floor afterward; if I can, I leave the shower curtain out to dry, but that isn't always feasible (I won't drive with it blocking the view out the back).
Old 05-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Count us in the Avanti corner. We have never used showers at campgrounds and most of the time we don't stay where there are showers available. We take a marine shower daily in the enclosed wet bath on our Roadtrek 210P. When we had a 190P we used the aisle shower every day as well.

Now, the Roadtreks have nice size fresh tanks on their Chevy based (and old Dodge based) rigs and that is one reason we like them. 30 gallons of fresh water and six gallons of hot water. Three gallons will give you a good marine shower, four gallons is luxury.

Cleaning our wet bath after a shower takes no more than three or four minutes. I keep a large, quality sponge stored loose on the floor near the shower drain and just ring it out and wipe down the area, follow up with a couple of paper towels occasionally, turn on the bathroom vent and the whole shebang quickly dries just fine.

If we were not going to use the john and shower we would go back to a nice tent.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #6
Platinum Member

This is a great question, we haven't had our RV long, but like Avanti I prefer to use it shower over the campgrounds shower. When I was winterized I had to use the campground and it just added more hassle factor to me.
Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:25 PM   #7
Gold Member

We will only use our shower as a last resort if no campground or other showers are not available. Reason being fresh water tank limitations not to mention the space limitations
(and we are not big people either)
Old 05-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
Gold Member

I have a Roadtrek 2004 190P and I use the shower a lot.

If there are nice campground showers i will use them but that is rare. We boondock mostly.

When I bought the camper I thought that the aisle shower would be a pain, but actually it works well. Since you are only surrounded by the curtain (no hard enclosure) it’s a lot more comfortable.

I plan to replace the rugs, the ones I have now are very clumsy.

Cleaning up the water is pretty easy. I have a brown microfiber towel that is designated as the floor mop. I run it around and it picks up all the water. I leave the curtain unfurled and just a bit into the aisle. It dries pretty quickly.
CaDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:27 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaDreamin View Post

If there are nice campground showers i will use them but that is rare. We boondock mostly.

When I bought the camper I thought that the aisle shower would be a pain, but actually it works well. Since you are only surrounded by the curtain (no hard enclosure) it’s a lot more comfortable.

Cleaning up the water is pretty easy. I have a brown microfiber towel that is designated as the floor mop. I run it around and it picks up all the water. I leave the curtain unfurled and just a bit into the aisle. It dries pretty quickly.

We haven't yet but agree that campground showers are usually not up to what we want so plan to begin on our next trip.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:18 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Last time I rented a RT class "B", I found the aisle shower pretty decent. In fact, I like it how it allows a lot more usable space in the van when it isn't in use.

Given a choice, I like well kept bath-houses, but since I boondock often, the aisle shower did the job without issue.

I do like rear baths, like the "K" floorplan. When you can open the rear doors in a secluded area in the middle of nowhere, you definitely have a lot more elbow room to shower.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:01 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaDreamin View Post

Thanks.... follow up question....do you turn on the exhaust fan while you are in the shower?? I imagine that's OK????
Old 05-11-2018, 01:20 AM   #12
Platinum Member

We use our shower every day. It's a quick marine shower like others have mentioned... wet down, turn the water off, soap up, then water on just long enough to rinse off, and done. 3 minute shower, probably uses less than a gallon of water.

I use a microfiber cloth to wipe down the shower after we both are done. Takes about 2 minutes, and the shower is dry.

And yes we do run the fan while showering and for 15-20 minutes afterwards to get all moisture out of the van.

The shower in our Paseo is roomier than the shower in the dry bath of the toyhauler we had before...
Old 05-11-2018, 04:09 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsPaseo View Post
We use our shower every day. It's a quick marine shower like others have mentioned... wet down, turn the water off, soap up, then water on just long enough to rinse off, and done. 3 minute shower, probably uses less than a gallon of water.

I use a microfiber cloth to wipe down the shower after we both are done. Takes about 2 minutes, and the shower is dry.

And yes we do run the fan while showering and for 15-20 minutes afterwards to get all moisture out of the van.

The shower in our Paseo is roomier than the shower in the dry bath of the toyhauler we had before...
WOW...the toy hauler "dry bathroom" was smaller than the "wet bath" of the Paseo.... amazing....

This is what you have;

https://m.winnebagoind.com/products/...paseo/overview

It's beautiful.... nice features....
Old 05-11-2018, 04:21 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
WOW...the toy hauler "dry bathroom" was smaller than the "wet bath" of the Paseo.... amazing....

This is what you have;

https://m.winnebagoind.com/products/...paseo/overview

It's beautiful.... nice features....
Thanks! We're really enjoying the Paseo. We've owned it a little over 4 months, and we're already over 25 nights spent in it.

The overall bathroom size in the toyhauler was slightly larger, but the shower was smaller. I'm only 5'8" and 145 lbs, and it was tight for me. A larger person would be very uncomfortable in it.

This was a LivinLite Bearcat BC7X20, so not a very big toyhauler...
Old 05-11-2018, 04:32 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Bills Paseo,

This is our rig with the wet bath..see link below for pictures....

https://www.conejowholesaleauto.com/...beffb59e9eb708
Old 05-11-2018, 04:42 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bills Paseo,

This is our rig with the wet bath..see link below for pictures....

https://www.conejowholesaleauto.com/...beffb59e9eb708
Very nice! It is hard to tell from the pictures how the bath size compares to our Paseo, but yours looks pretty roomy as well. Ours doesn't have the sink taking up space - it has a flip down sink that folds into the bathroom wall when not in use - so that might make it feel bigger than it is.

I don't know the dimensions of the dedicated shower in the LivinLite, but I'm guessing it was around 20"x20". Simple things like shampooing your hair were difficult to do without banging elbows into the shower wall. It also had an annoying shower curtain that invariably ended up dumping lots of water onto the bathroom floor outside the shower.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:58 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsPaseo View Post
Very nice! It is hard to tell from the pictures how the bath size compares to our Paseo, but yours looks pretty roomy as well. Ours doesn't have the sink taking up space - it has a flip down sink that folds into the bathroom wall when not in use - so that might make it feel bigger than it is.

I don't know the dimensions of the dedicated shower in the LivinLite, but I'm guessing it was around 20"x20". Simple things like shampooing your hair were difficult to do without banging elbows into the shower wall. It also had an annoying shower curtain that invariably ended up dumping lots of water onto the bathroom floor outside the shower.
Always seemed pretty small to me������, especially compared to our shower at home.
I just measured it and it's 42"by 20"...a rectangular closet.... shower has a five inch lip around the base...and doors pivot to about 23 inches ... shower curtain extends beyond the bathroom door...

We purchased our RS Adventurous almost exactly one year ago... have put 14,000 miles on it the first year and went across the USA last fall..11,000 miles...got a steady average of 18 MPG.. sometimes better.. depending on weather and climbing mountains...SO, I just estimate 18 MPG for everywhere we go.. if I do better, I'm happy...

I want to thank you and everyone else for their encouraging comments... we're going to try using our shower soon....

We certainly use the bathroom for number one...try to avoid anything else.....I suppose it would be fine in an emergency......

One of the best things I love about our rig is the dump hose and macerator...the hose is permanently attached to the rig and on a channel ...we just pull the hose out , place it in the station and push the button...goes right back into it's channel...it's extremely fast and there's no need to attach it manually....
Old 05-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #18
Platinum Member

We use a squeegee to first wipe down the walls and toilet, then a synthetic chamois to dry the wall, and then the squeegee again to get the water on the floor to move to the drain.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clean-Too...7-x-27-In/3977
Roadtreker357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #19
hyc

We have a Road Trek 170. My wife and I use the shower all the time. In someway we actually prefer having our own shower. It is more convenient and we know it's clean. We developed a process and once we got use to it, it was very easy. You do have to be careful regarding to water usage, a "Navy Shower" procedure is a must especially for a 170.
hyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #20

Default Wet shower

Quote:
OK, I'll admit this may sound like a trick question, but, honestly, it's NOT....

We purchased our 2012 Roadtrek RS Adventuous one year ago, and we've never used the shower.. REALLY...
And, there's no evidence that the shower has ever been used by the original owners... they primarily used it to go to wine tasting events and took friends.... when we purchased the rig, the generator had maybe 15 hours on it...in 5 years.. and only 26,000 miles...

Further, I've only met one person who ever actually said they took a shower in a Roadtrek 190 ... and said it was an "experience"...of course the 190 and the 210 has the shower drain in the aisle... thankfully, the RS Adventuous has a different setup.. drain is near the outside wall on the passenger side of the coach... The doors are designed to pivot and there's a five inch channel around the base of the wet bath.

Then there's the issue of everything getting wet...do you attempt to dry everything every time you use it...or does the fan take care of most of this..??

We normally are in places that have showers so we just use the facilities there...

What's your experience??
I use mine all the time. Nothing better than a nice cool shower on a hot day. I have an old motor home and its all one room. The only problem is the toilet seat may get wet. That's all I ever dry off. That's my favorite part of my bathroom is you can **** shower and shave all in one room. Try it and see if you like it. Mine has the drain right in the middle and needs to be level to drain properly.
Aocheltree is offline   Reply With Quote