Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2021, 02:57 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Dodge keyless remote fob programming

I have a 2000 Pleasure Way Excel RD built on a 1999 Dodge Ram Van 3500 chassis. The unit came to me with only one remote fob. I bought another (ebay) and now need to program it. All the video tutorials I find on YouTube show the procedure using the panic button on the fob. My vehicle fobs do not have panic buttons, only lock and unlock. Does anyone know the procedure (short of paying a Dodge dealer) for programming a remote fob?
RV-there-yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
Bronze Member

Probably a '99 chassis. On my '97 there is a green wire under the dash near the steering column. I think it even has a label on it. You connect that to ground and then turn the ignition to On. Do not start the vehicle. You then push a button on each remote and the doors should lock. Turn off ignition and remove ground from wire.
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:10 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Default Found the answer

Thank you Tim R. I have no doubt that the method you describe works on a 97. I found in my research that the keyless remote system changed after 98. My chassis is indeed a 99 as you surmised. I found this set of instructions at remotesremotes.com (see attached pdf). I just followed these instructions and they worked. I had to use a paperclip as my jumper wire clips were just too fat to fit. All is well. I believe these instructions are good through 02.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Van remote programming.PDF (458.0 KB, 36 views)
RV-there-yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Great. Glad you got them working.
Old 12-28-2023, 06:23 PM   #5

Default Another request for 97 Dodge 3500 key fob programming.

I've read the entries here and elsewhere and followed the directions with no good results. I have successfully reprogrammed key fobs for my wife's Toyota, so I CAN follow directions. But have not been successful so far with the Dodge van. I have a 1998 RT, so I have a 1997 chassis, as I understand it. I have looked for a green wire to ground under dash on driver side, but don't see it. I have jumped wires 1 & 4 in the Data Link Port as instructed on one web site, but that didn't work either. In fact, I don't see a wire to jump in position 1 as directed, and I don't dare short anything else in that port! My fobs do not have panic buttons. I have two keys and fobs, so I can live without a third, but have it and would like to program it if at all possible. Thanks in advance for any sound advice.
JRBnGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 07:24 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Well, if you have a '97 chassis then that green wire should be there.

However, I think you can only program a total of 2 fobs.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:27 PM   #7

I see a white striped wire with a black block on the end (plugged into nothing) taped to the wire harness, but no green. The stripe looks black, but may be dark green. I wonder if that is the wire you describe?
JRBnGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 01:32 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I have 1997 PW on Dodge 3500 (1996) chassis and I was able to easily find the green wire under the steering column. I only reprogrammed 1 (new) FOB and the reprogramming was successful. From what I understand, there wasn't a change from 96 to 97. I think that the green wire may have had a rubber protector on the terminating connector but I can't remember.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote