Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 12:06 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Yeah, I looked at the In Reach solution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kite_rider View Post
To the OP, the Garmin InReach device is hard to beat for a true emergency, it's got world wide coverage and it 'just works'.

I don't think I would buy one just for boondocking though, plenty of other good suggestions in the thread already for that. I own one as a safety and convenience feature for paragliding. Depending on your subscription, you can set it up to send out tracking breadcrumbs so people can follow your route as you go. The group I was hanging out with in Mexico were using them as a quick and easy way to compare flights each day. Plus, it takes the guesswork out of the retrieval process.

So this feature could be used to let loved ones know where you are *all* the time. That's too much oversharing for me though..
I know.... In Reach does work..
I'll have to think about where we go... and maybe if its just to National Parks or along rural routes... someone or Verizon will have a cell tower for emergency calls.

Appreciate your reply.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:32 AM   #22
Bronze Member

I still sometimes monitor or partake in CB conversations along the way. But their, roughly, 5 mile range is a limiting factor if you have problems in a very remote area. Otherwise, I onboard with those reminding us that, until quite recently, nobody had the ability to call anybody for help. You fixed your problem yourself, waited for a random willing traveler, or walked out. I often backpack for weeks where there's no service whatsoever. If you venture into these areas be prepared to take care of yourself.
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:13 PM   #23

Default InReach (Garmin)

As at least one other person has noted, the Garmin InReach (Garmin bought out DeLorme) is our choice. We use it when hiking as it provides topographical maps, and it can be used to allow friends and family to track us out on the trail. In an emergency, it can summon help. We keep it in our class B (Travato), powered off, as an emergency measure in case we ever need it while traveling in areas without any terrestrial communications coverage.
ds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:38 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Last fall, we traveled across the USA ... and in some remote places like Wyoming and South Dakota.. we had absolutely NO cell service let alone internet

It's my understanding that Verizon has the most robust network even in rural areas, so, I just hope that if we need to call 911 under these circumstances a tower will be available to route our call.

What's your emergency plan?

When I was in high school in the early '70s, my "car" was a 1950 half-ton Ford F-1 pickup with a four-speed, granny gear transmission, flathead V8, and bald 10 ply tires. I drove that truck from Sioux City, IA to Curry MN just about every Friday night after I got of work at 9pm. I carried a few tools in the back-of-the-seat tray. There was no one on the road, pay phones were few and far between (if you could remember the number of someone to call, AND they were home.) And that was just another Friday night in Iowa.

I drove across NoCal from Redding to Fernley NV last year and had no cell service for most of the trip... and I have Verizon. I found it kind of liberating, actually.

Not to sound 'preachy' here, but much of what we took to be 'common sense' from the '50s through the '80s seems to be lost in the age of over-the-air connectivity. So, with that, some tips from an old-timer that folks born in the '80s may have not considered:

Cell service is a nice convenience, but should NOT be your "emergency plan." Most breakdowns are preventable through preventative maintenance. As reliable as most vehicles are today, most folks never check their own oil, check their tires, hoses and belts, or do a walk-around of their rig looking at tires, checking the ground for leaked oil, or just looking for anything out of the ordinary. Those steps STILL go a long ways toward not breaking down on the road. Having a mechanic do a deeper assessment at every oil change is a must, and if something is beginning to be a problem, fix it before it becomes one, don't ignore it.

A tool kit with basic common tools, electrical tape, multi-meter, fuses, and whatever else you deem 'necessary' ought to be in your van, and you ought to have the basic troubleshooting skills to know whether or not you can effect a repair on the road. Sometimes you can... more often than not with today's sealed-at-the-factory drivetrains you can't... so you need to make other plans. The "old days" ways are still useful. Tell someone your route... when you're leaving and where you're going, and when they should hear from you... and when you'll be over-due, so if they need to send someone looking for you, they'll know where to look.

Have survival skills. Know when to shelter in place, and know when to leave. Have appropriate equipment, clothing, and shoes should you need to walk out. If you have a medical condition that precludes you from being out of touch... then plan your route so you're NOT out of touch, and don't go places where breaking down may be life-threatening.

And I always carry a folding bike with me. Always... because I HATE walking.

Prior planning prevents poor performance.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #25
Bronze Member

From our vantage point, intregrated technology and the utilizaton of that is what can make the adventure even better. Knowledge is power!! It has to be easy for sure. We use Apple products and have been in thier eco system since they started. I'm finding my connectivity to be easy and fun. I'll know more by mid summer. The main challenge I think we'll have is cell phone signal strength, which seems as if are gadgets available to remedy that under most conditions.
floydj@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
Not to sound 'preachy' here, but much of what we took to be 'common sense' from the '50s through the '80s seems to be lost in the age of over-the-air connectivity. So, with that, some tips from an old-timer that folks born in the '80s may have not considered:

Cell service is a nice convenience, but should NOT be your "emergency plan." Most breakdowns are preventable through preventative maintenance. As reliable as most vehicles are today, most folks never check their own oil, check their tires, hoses and belts, or do a walk-around of their rig looking at tires, checking the ground for leaked oil, or just looking for anything out of the ordinary. Those steps STILL go a long ways toward not breaking down on the road. Having a mechanic do a deeper assessment at every oil change is a must, and if something is beginning to be a problem, fix it before it becomes one, don't ignore it.
In all respect, this is pretty preachy--and mostly not very defensible.

Times change. What was "common sense" in the 1950s is not automatically such half a century later. For the vast majority of people under the vast majority of circumstances, cell phones are a perfectly sensible "emergency plan". People don't do all those checks any more precisely because vehicles have become so utterly reliable and so self-monitoring that it is no longer cost-effective to do so.

I will spare you the analogy with what life was like driving Model Ts in the early 1900s, but rest assured that most of the things that were very sound advice then would have been silly even in 1950. Of course you need to adjust your "emergency plan" for conditions. If I am hiking the Desolation Wilderness or driving through deepest Peru, I will prepare accordingly. But for a typical domestic B-van trip, working to maximize cell-phone connectivity is both wise and generally adequate.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
In all respect, this is pretty preachy--and mostly not very defensible.

Times change. What was "common sense" in the 1950s is not automatically such half a century later. For the vast majority of people under the vast majority of circumstances, cell phones are a perfectly sensible "emergency plan".

I will spare you the analogy with what life was like driving Model Ts in the early 1900s, but rest assured that most of the things that were very sound advice then would have been silly even in 1950.
Absolutely. Until you break down where you don't have cell service. If cell phone technology is a perfectly sensible "emergency plan," then why are we discussing what to do when it's not?

Sorry... technology still doesn't replace common sense, preparedness, and a solid disaster plan. Technology fails. Modern chassis still have failures... and there's still a place for a prudent plan that allows for the simultaneous failure of both. And it's even more important for those who are most at risk if that set of circumstances occurs. Technology does NOT free us from the need to be responsible for our own fate.

And, BTW, driving a 1950 F-1 was an experience considerably closer to the experience of driving a Model-T than to that of driving my 1995 B-van.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #28
Platinum Member

This thread title is, "Does "no cell service" have you worried in some locales?"

No, it doesn't have me worried. It has me underemployed. I operate my own consulting business. If I don't have connectivity, I don't get paid.

We can argue all day long about whether having that kind of ball and chain is desirable or even healthy, but the opinion spread makes no difference to me - micro-business ownership is the career path I chose, and it comes with a butt-load of both privileges and limitations. One of the privileges is that I can run my office out of a camper van from whichever location I choose. One of the limitations is that I need cell service to do it.

There's another thread on this forum that has been active recently for those who would like to look a little further into the technical barriers. That thread is here. I am continuing to try to enhance my own cellular capabilities. Suffice it to say for the purposes of this thread that it's a huge challenge.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post

People don't do all those checks any more precisely because vehicles have become so utterly reliable and so self-monitoring that it is no longer cost-effective to do so.
How, my friend, is it not cost-effective to check your own oil, check your tires, check for puddles under the vehicle, and do a walk-around of your vehicle? And how is it not cost-effective to have a mechanic check your tires, hoses, belts, brakes, shocks and other under-chassis and under-hood systems when your oil is being changed? You're suggesting it's somehow less expensive to have your van towed in off the road than having failing parts replaced before they fail?

I'm sorry... I can't follow your logic.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #30
Bronze Member

Totally onboard with you Doneworking. Me too. I take advantage of GPS in my car and on the trail. But, on numerous occasions on a long drive, passengers will ask "where are we?" and my answer is "I don't know but we'll be in Pinedale in 13 hours and 26 minutes". With GPS one loses all perspective of what's around you. It's only about getting there. GPS can save your butt and get you to and from home, back to your camp our trailhead. But, maps place you in the landscape and inspire you to explore "over there".
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:23 PM   #31

I am a woman traveling alone, and of course this has occurred to me. For a while I had "Family Mobile" though Walmart, and even on the east coast going up I-95 there were dead spots. In my college days, I used to spelunk, and we were told always to have three sources of light. I've taken that to heart.

No. 1--I have a regular GPS, which is not dependent upon cell phone service.
No. 2--I have Verizon, and expect that to work most places.
No. 3--I have an older model, which has a CB radio. I have made sure it's in working condition.
Although I di not have it yet, it's my intention to get a Dish Network system, with satellite internet. (I guess that's my 4th source of light.)
aangelis7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aangelis7 View Post
I am a woman traveling alone, and of course this has occurred to me. For a while I had "Family Mobile" though Walmart, and even on the east coast going up I-95 there were dead spots. In my college days, I used to spelunk, and we were told always to have three sources of light. I've taken that to heart.

No. 1--I have a regular GPS, which is not dependent upon cell phone service.
No. 2--I have Verizon, and expect that to work most places.
No. 3--I have an older model, which has a CB radio. I have made sure it's in working condition.
Although I di not have it yet, it's my intention to get a Dish Network system, with satellite internet. (I guess that's my 4th source of light.)
I don’t think Dish Network has a satellite internet system offering, I think the internet service they advertise is for residential customers and comes from a local internet provider.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #33

Default Are you expecting too much ?

When i was young and until 20 some years ago, there was only one wall mounted phone in the house and pay phones on the road and I have survived. I'm fine with not having cellular and data connection for a few days ...Your 1st line of defense is to be prepared to handle some emergencies all by yourself. Sometime it means carrying a compass and matches while hiking...
Alain_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:06 PM   #34

Yes they do. I checked. It's HughesNet.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:25 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes they do. I checked. It's HughesNet.
HughesNet residential or mobile?

Unless there has been a recent change HughesNet mobile is only available from a value added reseller.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Interesting subject and good to know about the 911 option.

We do carry a cell phone but are not big users - in fact rarely use it and when traveling in the US (our home is in Canada) mainly just have it for emergencies.

But I always understood that 911calls were for true emergencies. Would it it be considered enough of an emergency to call 911 if all you really wanted was a tow truck?

Just wondering - I honestly would not have though such a call would be well received but maybe I am wrong depending on the location in which you are broken down.

Thoughts? ................... Brian. (Who is now more concerned, as his new RV won't have a spare tire!)
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #37

I am wrong. You are right. There is no satellite internet available for RVs. Guess I will have to depend upon my hotspot through RMCA (25 GB per month for $50), which sucks.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:04 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am wrong. You are right. There is no satellite internet available for RVs. Guess I will have to depend upon my hotspot through RMCA (25 GB per month for $50), which sucks.
It is available but not cheap...

http://www.mobileinternetsatellite.com/index.php
Old 06-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Default I'm glad you asked this question...YES it is... read below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Interesting subject and good to know about the 911 option.

We do carry a cell phone but are not big users - in fact rarely use it and when traveling in the US (our home is in Canada) mainly just have it for emergencies.

But I always understood that 911calls were for true emergencies. Would it it be considered enough of an emergency to call 911 if all you really wanted was a tow truck?

Just wondering - I honestly would not have though such a call would be well received but maybe I am wrong depending on the location in which you are broken down.

Thoughts? ................... Brian. (Who is now more concerned, as his new RV won't have a spare tire!)
I just got off the phone with GEOS...in case you're unaware, GEOS is a worldwide company specifically designed for emergency rescue operations.... I called them to ask IF they considered being mechanically disabled with your vehicle to be a true emergency.. they're repsonse is "YES"...and they said they would contact the AAA with the location of your vehicle for response....

If they think it's appropriate...you had better believe that the 911 folks would have the same answer....

Let me elaborate... you're in the desert running low on water... your vehicle breaks down...you are certainly not going to tell me that this is NOT an emergency? Or, maybe, you're calling 911 or GEOS because your life is in danger...

These guys are in the emergency repsonse business.. that's what they do...

Finally, CB Radios really went out of fashion for lots of reasons...one very glaring one was that they are an open channel so anyone listening could hear that you are broken down somewhere...I know you may find this hard to believe, but, I've actually heard of cases where some crooks went to the location of the disabled vehicle and robbed the people and drove away...At least with a cellphone or a device called into a central emergency call center or AAA...this is NOT going to happen...

Ditch the ham radio....it's very old school and definitely not secure communication...
Old 06-06-2018, 10:38 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Default Garmin In Reach...

Quote:
Look at the Garmin In Reach..plans... they offer four different levels depending on how much time you need.... plans start as low as $11.95 per month for 12 months or $14.95 per month if you want to turn on and off the service when you need to....

Look carefully at the details..I'm thinking of getting the Safety plan for true emergencies...

Right now REI is selling the Garmin In Reach Explorer with maps for $375...the subscription for the coverage is an extra charge.....

We have a low cost cell phone coverage... Project Fi , but even if I had Verizon.... they're not everywhere....

The Garmin In Reach is a global coverage ...it's only text messages.... piggy back on the Iridium Global Network for Satellite Phones.....100 percent worldwide coverage...no kidding... You can get a satellite phone from Iridium... but, the price is a show stopper....

The ONLY way I would ever consider this if IF I had a boat and took ocean journeys... never going to happen.....

Good luck...