Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2018, 08:29 PM   #61
Bronze Member

I've been wanting a satellite com device for years as I do a fair amount of very remote travel, often solo. The reviews consistently put the In-Reach at the top of the heap - except that the Explorer version's gps mapping is barely useable. I'm waiting and hoping for Garmin to replace the old coarse Delorme maps with their, much better, Garmin mapping. Without that, I'd need to carry both the In-Reach and my Oregon Garmin when I head out into into the wilderness. Has anyone heard any rumors that this enhancement is in the future?
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:44 AM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
I've been wanting a satellite com device for years as I do a fair amount of very remote travel, often solo. The reviews consistently put the In-Reach at the top of the heap - except that the Explorer version's gps mapping is barely useable. I'm waiting and hoping for Garmin to replace the old coarse Delorme maps with their, much better, Garmin mapping. Without that, I'd need to carry both the In-Reach and my Oregon Garmin when I head out into into the wilderness. Has anyone heard any rumors that this enhancement is in the future?
I still have the older smaller Delorme Inreach without the map display and sync it to my iPhone via bluetooth to the Garmin Earthmate app with the maps on the phone. I think the maps in Earthmate are still from Delorme though. I may also carry a Garmin GPS, either an Oregon or Etrex or Montana depending on what I am doing.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:38 AM   #63
Platinum Member

Default TOPO Maps only on the Explorer Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
I still have the older smaller Delorme Inreach without the map display and sync it to my iPhone via bluetooth to the Garmin Earthmate app with the maps on the phone. I think the maps in Earthmate are still from Delorme though. I may also carry a Garmin GPS, either an Oregon or Etrex or Montana depending on what I am doing.
Don't expect a turn by turn navigation system on In Reach.. it's designed for hiking and other back country activities, but, if you are looking for a device that will create a bread crumb trail and pinpoint your exact location for a search and rescue outside of cell phone areas, this is the device you want to have.

Current state of the art...

Now, if you money is not an object, you can get a full fledged satellite phone on the Iridium network ... just be prepared to spend a lot of money per minute for the privilege of doing so. Rates vary depending on your use.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:20 AM   #64
Platinum Member

Like others, I've been watching this settlement but haven't done anything yet. I guess I overanalyze, where even the worst option would be great to have in an emergency. There are plenty of "no cell zones" here in Co, maybe I've gotten too complacent.

If you are into backpacking, Andrew Skurka has recent updates on the newest Spot and In Reach models, but their SW appears hiking oriented, and as people have mentioned, you need to be aware of the satellite systems. He also has a write up on the rumored accidental SAR callings by certain In Reach models when jammed tightly into a backpack here, if you care about that usage

https://www.outsideonline.com/229153...-inreach-units
Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #65
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
Do you need additional service of some sort to go along with the hardware?
Service plans

Unlimited tracking
25 text messages for $20/m
Unlimited text messages for $30/m

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=131
Old 06-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Default Spox X cannot receive messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Service plans

Unlimited tracking
25 text messages for $20/m
Unlimited text messages for $30/m

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=131
OKAY....as long as you know that the Spot X cannot receive messages and only uses a LEO GPS network that is inferior to the Iridium Satellite Network..

Your choice.....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
The Slingbox will stream reliably with the bandwidth. It is extremely good at adapting the compression to line conditions. Of course, the picture will be pretty dodgy, but lots better than nothing.
That is great to know. Believe it or not, I've had the same Slingbox connected to my box since 2009. I don't use it frequently, but it has always worked well when I've needed it. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #68
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
OKAY....as long as you know that the Spot X cannot receive messages and only uses a LEO GPS network that is inferior to the Iridium Satellite Network..

Your choice.....

You are repeating yourself.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #69
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:

Your choice.....
https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=666

Quote:
SPOT X provides 2-way satellite messaging so you can stay connected to family, friends and colleagues whenever you're outside of cellular range, including direct communication with Search & Rescue services in case of life-threatening emergency. SPOT X even provides you with your own personal mobile U.S. number so others can message you directly from their cell phone or other SMS devices at any time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spotx.JPG (58.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-09-2018, 04:09 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Next year's 2019 Sprinter vans may have eCall, emergency automatic calling, as standard in case you have an accident. I haven't investigated what that means or how it would work yet.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #71
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Next year's 2019 Sprinter vans may have eCall, emergency automatic calling, as standard in case you have an accident. I haven't investigated what that means or how it would work yet.
I'm pretty sure that it is the same as GM's OnStar and equivalent on other marques. They are basically a cellular modem built into the vehicle, with their own SIM. Nice because they will automatically send help if an accident is detected. But they still require GSM cell service.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #72
Site Team

Quote:
Again, (just to keep the record clean) Spot X uses the very same GPS system as any other US-based device. It is the satellite uplink which is different.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #73
Platinum Member

No cell service doesn’t bother me. Not knowing where I am or getting lost makes me crazy.

In my recent travels, I stupidly gave up on printed maps and relied on my iPhone and the GPS in my Pioneer car stereo. The Maps app in the iPhone does nothing when there’s no cell service. In areas where there’s poor cell service, it will send me on a long guided adventure that leads to nowhere logical.

I also found that the GPS in my car stereo works fine as long as there’s a street address. It can find things by longitude and latitude, but only if there’s a street address associated with it. Many, if not most, campgrounds don’t have a street address.

So, next trip, I’m going “old school” and will use AAA’s camping maps.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #74
BBQ
Platinum Member

You should get this app...

you can download the maps into your phone. It does not need cell signal to work.

https://wego.here.com/

Old 06-11-2018, 08:52 PM   #75
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

You should get this app...

you can download the maps into your phone. It does not need cell signal to work.

https://wego.here.com/

Yes. The whole "I want paper maps" thing has two parts: There is the aesthetics of paper, and there is "do I need Internet access?". They are completely separate issues.

I am actually a lover of physical maps. When I was in college, I used to spend hours in the library's map room just randomly gazing at various old maps. But I have ZERO interest is using them to actually navigate. A good electronic map is better in every practical way.

OTOH, it is INSANE to depend on Internet access to know where you are. I make totally sure to always have downloaded maps and a good GPS app to use them.

Depending on paper maps is similar to carrying a shelf full of paper books and manuals in your van. (Well, I guess they aren't quite as bulky...). I am over it. Having a nice framed map, I get. Using it to find your way is kind of crazy.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:46 PM   #76
BBQ
Platinum Member

Paper maps are only useful if you know where you are.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:29 PM   #77
Platinum Member

Well, you don’t really need to know exactly where you are to find your way around using paper maps. At least that is what I learned in the Boy Scouts. I don’t recall getting very lost using paper maps before I had a GPS. I prefer using paper maps for planning since you have both a large scale view of the area along with the details without having to zoom in and out and move around on a smaller view of the map on an IPad or whatever. Even with a GPS for routing I like to see the route options on a map before taking the route just to confirm that the GPS route makes sense. We also like to travel off the interstates so you need to force the GPS to your desired route at times. When hiking I tend to travel using a Topo map but I do carry a GPS and an Inreach in case I need them.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:13 AM   #78
Platinum Member

While I use Garmin’s Earthmate Maps for details, I also download Google maps for offline use. Download onto your mobile device when in Google maps by selecting the 3 bar menu then offline maps then custom maps. Mostly works without cell connection
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #79

You know, I just called up Dish and asked about satellite internet service, and they say they set it up for RVs all the time through Hughesnet, or alternatively ViaSat. DirectTV said they did not do internet at all, but I am getting multiple stories from Dish. So I am quite confused. But with the CB, Cell, hotspot--I really think I ought to be covered.
aangelis7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #80
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aangelis7 View Post
You know, I just called up Dish and asked about satellite internet service, and they say they set it up for RVs all the time through Hughesnet, or alternatively ViaSat. DirectTV said they did not do internet at all, but I am getting multiple stories from Dish. So I am quite confused. But with the CB, Cell, hotspot--I really think I ought to be covered.
That is an interesting bit of info. Unless things have changed, Dish only did residential satellite internet service that was actually provided by local internet providers or satellite service. The new Ka band HughesNet Mobile satellite internet has only been available from value added resellers who support moving the location regularly.