Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Dogs and Record High Temps

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
73dB would be loud. I have a 7800w peak Champion rated at 74dB that is very loud. I dislike even periodically exercising it because of the noise. I have it in case we ever have an extended power outage at the house. Onans are typically rated 68 dB and some are 70 dB. Compare that to a Honda EU3000iS 58 dB(A) @ rated load, 49 dB(A) @ 1/4 load.
I've noticed that some generators (mine) can be quiet at distance. At around 30 feet, mine's not too
bad.
You have a DB meter iPod app. Try running your generator, and slowly back away from the exhaust
pipe, and see how quickly the sound level drops, once you get a few metres away. I would be
interested in knowing the results. Maybe I'll get a DB Meter app from Canadian Tire if they have them.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #22
Bronze Member

About Reflectix -- we bought a roll of it, sounds like great stuff. We are going to cut it to fit in the window areas & of course we are most concerned about the windshield/cab area where even with the curtains drawn, you can really feel the heat coming in. This has been even more of a problem since our senior dog has decided that the driver's area floor is the best place for her to hang out and nap. Question: before we start cutting it, we were wondering what you all do to secure it in place at the windows; do you use tape or something? Seems clear you wouldn't want to just attach it to the curtains but have it closer to flush with the glass!

Thanks for any thoughts. (NO MORE "TIA" here!)
puppie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppie96
Thanks for any thoughts. (NO MORE "TIA" here!)
I don't use reflectix, but thanks for clearing up the TIA thing.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:00 AM   #24
Silver Member

puppie96....The best way to "install" the Reflectix is to cut it approx. 1/2" or larger then the window. Then just push it into the window frame. On the lower section of the back side windows, I installed the Reflectix between the window and screen. That way we can open the window and still have the benefit of the Reflectix. I put hook & loop tape (Velcro) in each corner and used clear electrical tape to tape it to the rest of the window. The heat from the sun will cause the glue to "melt", so I check it periodically and replace as necessary. The 3 push out windows (side & back doors) I install them by opening the windows, place the Reflectix on the window and close the window. The 24" roll of Reflectix will do all the side windows, but for the front windshield you will need the 48" width. We were using the fold up windshield screens, but with the Reflectix you can get the entire windshield covered, and the Reflectix is a better product. We never use the curtains. We find the Reflectix works for both keeping the heat out and keeping the cold out, and it also works as a sound deadener. You will notice a big difference in the inside temp using the Reflectix.

Happy and safe travels in your Class B. If you are ever traveling thru Wisconsin, we have a spot for fellow Class B'ers to spend the night.
yizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #25
Bronze Member

Thanks, we have a roll of it and are going to put it in the windows today.
puppie96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #26
Platinum Member

I have 2 Papillons( long hair) and winter in AZ. I've tried running the generator and AC, but after one season of that mess, installed a Fantastic fan with thermostat. This is a far cleaner solution. When parked, I try to get some shade, or at least park with the window side facing away from the sun. I put a thermal sunshade in the front window,open the screened rear windows (awning type) and leave the fan on and set at about 76. I have returned to the van in 90+ degree weather to find the fan on, and the inside temp about 85. Not particularly cool, but it's dry heat and the air is moving. The dogs are free to roam and are usually on the floor. If I have to leave them when it is already hot, I lay a couple of damp towels on the floor for some additional cooling.
BTW, According to the Fantastic owners manual, there is no problem driving with the lid open, although I only leave it open a couple inches.
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote