Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2020, 06:24 AM   #1

Default Dometic 3 Way Fridge Will Not Work on Propane

I have a 2008 Roadtrek RS Adventurous with a 3 way Dometic fridge. The AC and DC work great but when we switch to propane, it will attempt to start but it will not light. We cleaned the chimney, used an air compressor to remove dust and debris from the flue and cleaned the burner. It is not a problem with the propane because the stove and furnace work fine. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
mariec15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariec15 View Post
I have a 2008 Roadtrek RS Adventurous with a 3 way Dometic fridge. The AC and DC work great but when we switch to propane, it will attempt to start but it will not light. We cleaned the chimney, used an air compressor to remove dust and debris from the flue and cleaned the burner. It is not a problem with the propane because the stove and furnace work fine. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
I would first check the propane pressure with manometer. If pressure is fine. Check out the igniter on refrigerator. Working o AC and DC means the cooling functions/elements are good.
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:55 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Hi and Welcome to the Forums

check igniter- this is an easy visual check if it is sparking then you know the controls are working

check the gap and igniter position

can remove and clean the jet- many jets are soft material- clean only with cloth, nylon brush or plastic- something softer- soak in alcohol...vodka? hand sanitizer?

a newbie, our old van was a hard start- after going through and checking per the manual ( incl. the gap- done at campground- ) it's been good for years

I have old points ignition motorcycles and cars- the "roadside fixes" required when operating an antique require improvisation...a typical matchbook cover is usually .015" thick- and can be used for setting a gap if you know the spec ( manuals are key) I also play guitar and many picks have the thickness marked on them

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote