Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2021, 02:37 PM   #1

Default Dometic Refrigerator Flame Indicator 2955037011

I would like to buy a USED Dometic Refrigerator Flame Indicator 2955037011 (picture attached) installed on Dometic RM2352/ RM2353 Refrigerators. I will pay $20 plus shipping.

New ones are too expensive for what they are: a cheap millivolt meter measuring about a 200 mv (0.2 volt).

If you have one still installed on a broken refrigerator, you can cut the flame indicator two wires attached to refrigerator. I do not need to metal connectors but leave me as much wire as you can. Also it is important to tape the clear plastic cover to the flame indicator for shipping. The very thin red moving wire is very fragile, as I found out. Just barely touching the red wire will bend it and make it inoperable.

I would prefer to replace this flame indicator with a LED light but I think the minimum voltage for a LED is 2-3 volts. If anyone has any ideas for a replacement, please respond.

Thanks, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FlameIndictor2.jpg (160.9 KB, 10 views)
mrvista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:10 AM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvista View Post
I would like to buy a USED Dometic Refrigerator Flame Indicator 2955037011 (picture attached) installed on Dometic RM2352/ RM2353 Refrigerators. I will pay $20 plus shipping.

New ones are too expensive for what they are: a cheap millivolt meter measuring about a 200 mv (0.2 volt).

If you have one still installed on a broken refrigerator, you can cut the flame indicator two wires attached to refrigerator. I do not need to metal connectors but leave me as much wire as you can. Also it is important to tape the clear plastic cover to the flame indicator for shipping. The very thin red moving wire is very fragile, as I found out. Just barely touching the red wire will bend it and make it inoperable.

I would prefer to replace this flame indicator with a LED light but I think the minimum voltage for a LED is 2-3 volts. If anyone has any ideas for a replacement, please respond.

Thanks, Mike
Can't assist, but curious. What is being measured, and does it matter where the whatever line is after lit?

Thanks,

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:01 PM   #3

Default What is being measured: electrical current

The flame indicator is a short length of thin metallic rod that creates a small current of electricity in order to confirm there is fire burning within the propane refrigerator. In my propane refrigerator I believe the indicator is connected to the igniter. The flame indicator when heated up acts like a cathode of the vacuum tube. It emits electrons which flowing to the ground through the flame, like in the vacuum diode.

The indicator gauge inside the motor-home will tell you when the wind blew out your propane flame.
mrvista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Flame Indicator Purpose

Yes, it's a volt meter to measure voltage generated by a thermocouple situated over the refrigerator's pilot light. The thermocouple supplies voltage to the gas supply valve controlling the flow of propane to the burner. If the flame goes out, the thermocouple stops generating voltage, the valve closes and the refrigerator is off.

This is the same principle behind many gas appliances, such as a backyard heater. However, with most such appliances, when you ignite the pilot light, you can see whether is stays lit. All that's hidden on a gas refrigerator, so you need a gauge like this to stand in for direct viewing.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:53 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
Yes, it's a volt meter to measure voltage generated by a thermocouple situated over the refrigerator's pilot light. The thermocouple supplies voltage to the gas supply valve controlling the flow of propane to the burner. If the flame goes out, the thermocouple stops generating voltage, the valve closes and the refrigerator is off.

This is the same principle behind many gas appliances, such as a backyard heater. However, with most such appliances, when you ignite the pilot light, you can see whether is stays lit. All that's hidden on a gas refrigerator, so you need a gauge like this to stand in for direct viewing.

Is it only saying there is a flame or not, or something about the flame depending on where in the green area?
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:08 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Is it only saying there is a flame or not, or something about the flame depending on where in the green area?
It reports not only whether there's a flame, but also the flame size. It's an analog device, measuring varying voltage as the flame height changes. Below a threshold value, somewhere in the white area, voltage will be too low to keep the valve open, and the pilot light will go out. The taller the flame, the higher the voltage, and the farther to the right will be the gauge indicator.

When I light my refrigerator, I keep the gas button pressed and continue pressing the igniter button until I see the needle in the green area. By experience, I've noticed that it I release the gas button before that, the pilot will go out and the indicator will return to the left side.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:31 PM   #7

I have it.
Sent you a Private Message
wmorrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:46 AM   #8
Silver Member

We replaced ours with a Norcold one - just had to change the wire connection.
At Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
pasusan is offline   Reply With Quote