Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2020, 02:11 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Dometic Refrigerator Problem

I have a 2006 Roadtrek 210 Popular that the prvious owner had replaced 2 years ago but never tried it in Propane mode. Naturally I would like to use it that way and when I tried it NOTHING. No spark, no clicking, nothing. It does work on 110v and DC (not as good) but that's it. Gas does work on water heater and stove so that's not the problem. Any information would be great as I'm on a month long trip and could really use it.
Right now we are in Grand Forks, ND heading for Theodore Roosevelt National Park for the weekend.
Then it's off to Colorado's 3-4 National parks starting Sunday then I will be near Fort Worth,TX in about a week so if anyone knows of a repair place let me know.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
topwop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:49 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Download the service manual and then go through step by step- google your model number

it could be as simple as a fuse- or a shut off valve behind the cover.

once "tuned up" they work much much better than on ac or dc

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:24 PM   #3
Silver Member

Thanks for your advice. I took it to a local dealer where I happen to be now and they think it is the re-igniter. Problem is nobody seems to have/make one anymore so unless someone has it laying around I may be in trouble. The part number is Dometic 2933096014. If anyone happens to know where I can get one let me know.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Found a discussion of this problem on another board. Here's a link to a re-igniter module said to work on "most" Dometic units: http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcar...tors-p-82.html

On the page is a listing of all the refrigerators it works with. Good luck!
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:27 AM   #5
Silver Member

Thanks but my model is not listed.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:53 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwop View Post
Thanks but my model is not listed.
Well, sorry about that. It was worth a shot. I guess I'd reach out to that vendor to see if they have any advice.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #7
Platinum Member

the words DOMETIC, REFRIGERATOR & 3 WAY should not be part of your RV experience unless you always park Level, live in a cold climate & have a Strong Faith ...
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:31 AM   #8
Platinum Member

MK is correct, in a perfectly level setting, they work surprisingly well & efficiently if you live in sub 85° places.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 09-11-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwop View Post
.... Dometic 2933096014. .....
A quick glance at the interweb suggests that part number hasn't been available for a long time. You might be able to jury-rig a fix by researching forum threads such as this one.

If that strategy does not bear fruit and you decide to replace the fridge outright, you might consider an electric-only fridge, although that does come with energy demands that must be met. My tale of retrofitting is described here, FYI. After 2 failed Dometics, I went with a Vitrifrigo marine fridge, and much happiness ensued.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
A quick glance at the interweb suggests that part number hasn't been available for a long time. You might be able to jury-rig a fix by researching forum threads such as this one.

If that strategy does not bear fruit and you decide to replace the fridge outright, you might consider an electric-only fridge, although that does come with energy demands that must be met. My tale of retrofitting is described here, FYI. After 2 failed Dometics, I went with a Vitrifrigo marine fridge, and much happiness ensued.
You certainly have enough space on the roof of a 210 for 200-300 watts of solar (with no shadows), if you want to go the route of a DC Compressor fridge.

For the 210 you cannot go wrong with a Novakool R3800 or R4500.

No build out needed. Perfect with the Roadtrek's existing venting with the hot components below with a natural chimney effect.

I went through a lot of teething problems only to discover it wasn't the fridge but a poor electrical connection on the negstive side of my charging system.

IF you have already have solar, the demands on your electrical systems will expose any deficiencies, in fact today is DDay for me to overhaul the archaic Roadtrek Battery Configuration by placing everything, including batteries, under the bed.

I WOULD NEVER EVER GO BACK TO A 3 WAY Absorption Fridge, I live in LA & finding parking, let alone flat parking when seeing patients makes this type of fridge a no no.

However if you dont have Solar, mostly park in RV Campgrounds, on very level slabs, drive a lot & always hook up then the 3 Way might be worth repair.

The #1 guy in Los Angeles is Mark at Lodgemobile, family business 60 years, he is the place where fridges are either pronounced terminally dead or worthy of resurrection & he might have a part. Then again, he night tell you " No, its time for a new fridge, cannot get the part ..."

Please call him Monday, I need his Full Attention today.

Or you might choose an Isotherm, Vitrifrigo or Truckfridge* unit - unfortunately in the Roadtrek there is usually some build out involved for these last three brands who are legendary in the Marine Industry.

I believe their technology is more advanced than Novakool because Novakool in Canada, focus on the simplistic design however they all use Danfoss Compressors.

*I do not recommend TruckFridge, still a better unit than a 3 way but if you are going to go DC Fridge, while their units are designed & manufactured by Isotherm/Vitrifrigo (same parent company), the units they make for the trucking industry are usually too small.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:51 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
You certainly have enough space on the roof of a 210 for 200-300 watts of solar (with no shadows), if you want to go the route of a DC Compressor fridge.

For the 210 you cannot go wrong with a Novakool R3800 or R4500.

No build out needed. Perfect with the Roadtrek's existing venting with the hot components below with a natural chimney effect.

I went through a lot of teething problems only to discover it wasn't the fridge but a poor electrical connection on the negstive side of my charging system.

IF you have already have solar, the demands on your electrical systems will expose any deficiencies, in fact today is DDay for me to overhaul the archaic Roadtrek Battery Configuration by placing everything, including batteries, under the bed.

I WOULD NEVER EVER GO BACK TO A 3 WAY Absorption Fridge, I live in LA & finding parking, let alone flat parking when seeing patients makes this type of fridge a no no.

However if you dont have Solar, mostly park in RV Campgrounds, on very level slabs, drive a lot & always hook up then the 3 Way might be worth repair.

The #1 guy in Los Angeles is Mark at Lodgemobile, family business 60 years, he is the place where fridges are either pronounced terminally dead or worthy of resurrection & he might have a part. Then again, he night tell you " No, its time for a new fridge, cannot get the part ..."

Please call him Monday, I need his Full Attention today.

Or you might choose an Isotherm, Vitrifrigo or Truckfridge* unit - unfortunately in the Roadtrek there is usually some build out involved for these last three brands who are legendary in the Marine Industry.

I believe their technology is more advanced than Novakool because Novakool in Canada, focus on the simplistic design however they all use Danfoss Compressors.

*I do not recommend TruckFridge, still a better unit than a 3 way but if you are going to go DC Fridge, while their units are designed & manufactured by Isotherm/Vitrifrigo (same parent company), the units they make for the trucking industry are usually too small.
I hope this works for you, geting rid of the 3 Way Fridge & the Traditional RV Toilet & Black Tank Emptying has added 10 more years of Happiness to my life.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:19 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

According to the Guru* of Dometic Fridges in the West, this will work but it has to intelligent enough to "sense the flame ..."

He said "Its ridiculous, Dometic made this igniter for 30 years then suddenly the inventory is unavailable, it just doesn't make sense but ..."

Lodgemobile in Burbank, Mark is the Owner in his latest 50's, his Dad (deceased), started the biz 60 years ago - Mark knows his stuff. (81 563 - 2072
Old 09-11-2020, 08:53 PM   #13
Platinum Member

From the above and other comments, it sounds like themexicandoctor had a really bad experience with his Dometic 3-way. But for what it is worth, my 20 year old Dometic 3-way still works great on propane, 12 volt, or generator/shore-power, and does not require careful leveling or cool weather to work. I have been very happy with it and would not replace it with anything else.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
From the above and other comments, it sounds like themexicandoctor had a really bad experience with his Dometic 3-way. But for what it is worth, my 20 year old Dometic 3-way still works great on propane, 12 volt, or generator/shore-power, and does not require careful leveling or cool weather to work. I have been very happy with it and would not replace it with anything else.
I am still getting OK service out my Norcold, which is about 14 years old. I am pretty careful about leveling it, especially when it's running on propane. Studying where the flame extends upward into the flue sold me on the necessity of leveling. It doesn't take a lot of angle off of horizontal to cause the flame to touch the side of the flue.

In really hot weather, my 3-way refrigerator has not been able to keep contents cold. For this reason, I've purchased a mid-size chest type compressor refrigerator. During recent triple-digit weather, it's been able to hold 0º temp inside.
Old 09-11-2020, 11:34 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Dometic 3-way still works great on propane, 12 volt, or generator/shore-power, and does not require careful leveling or cool weather to work.
Yes

It is what it is- I know I can get my Dometic 60~65º below ambient temperatures.
95% of the time that's sufficient.

My old van doesn;t have the electrical capacity for a compressor fridge- it would be a multi-thousand dollar modification.
as for solar on the roof, I like parking in the shade, it's cooler in the van that way

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:56 AM   #16

Same here. We don't live in our RV but when we do use it on camping trips, we don't overly stress out over the levelness of the coach. Never had any issues with propane fridge. Solar is cool but adding it plus updating the fridge is a lot of $$.
dodgeCoachmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:20 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Gentlemen,

I agree - there are a few people that still have their units & no their limits of the 3 Way & some of you had yours made on a Friday versus a Monday.

I was new to RV when I bought my Roadtrek that had, I found out subsequently, the infamous DOMETIC RM2354 - the previous owner replaced it three times, once by Warrabty & 2 times out of pocket & then I replaced it once & was about to bite the bullet until I developed a friendship with my own 800# person at Dometic who just resigned in the last 45 days.

LA is bloody hot 3 months a year even at the Coast. Plus I wasn't always able to find level spaces to park it when seeing patients for 2-4 hours a time, which with thst model, meant days of poor performance.

I tried everything. But the RM2354 was the worst performing unit in their history.

And for those of you thst do have them, now I realose how easy they are to pull out, once every 12 months dragging them out & burping them for 24 hours gives you a new fridge.

Plus pulling the fridge out & instalking a computer fan to vent gives you better performance.

For me it was a matter of juggling not just food but medicine for others - I would buy ice three times every week for my sanity

As it is, the unit has been burped & is seeing service at a friend's cabin, stationery, hooked into a big tank & purring away.

But being led around by the experts at Dometic for 9 years really upset me.

And I agree, if it wasn't for the fact that I am a Full.Timer & have a professional need for consistently cold temperatures & had already installed Solar, I wouldn't do it on an older rig.