Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 06:39 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Dometic stove wont light

Hi

Ive got a Dometic 2BR-1066060 gas stove in my '12 RT 190 and the back burner has never worked since I bought the van last summer. The front burner works but has a low flame. I have put this project on the back burner (yes, thank you) for too long.

I was hoping it would be like the general rv stove videos with a flue to blow through and other straightforward clean up.

Seems reasonable to try cleaning the burners first, they look dirty. This model has 2 tiny "dont-mess" torx screws on top of the burners. Should I take it apart or try to clean it fully assembled?
Would cleaning the probe that sticks up in the flames path help, if so what should I use to clean it?

Removal of the entire unit doesnt look bad, 4 screws and the gas pipe but to what end? I dont see a way to remove the burner from underneath.

Thank you
2014 Camry hybrid-soulless transport appliance
MagicBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:56 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Gas

Well, I’m sure you’re all dying to hear an update....

Tiny torx screws won’t thwart me. I remembered I have a computer tool kit (none of my devices are safe from my incompetent tinkering) so I did actually have the tiny torx bit for the burner screws.
Removed and cleaned the burners and jets.
Back together and no improvement. Not even stronger flames on the working burner.

I did notice this time that I don’t hear the gas sound when I press the knob for the nonworking burner.
So that would seem to leave the knob assembly or the thermal sensor in the burner...........
Old 03-01-2021, 02:15 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Do you have compressed air available? Spiders like the smell of propane and will build nests in the lines if you don't use the appliance for a while. If you can, disconnect the lines upstream of your stove and blast the hell out of them and the valves. Good luck.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:50 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Do you have compressed air available? Spiders like the smell of propane and will build nests in the lines if you don't use the appliance for a while. If you can, disconnect the lines upstream of your stove and blast the hell out of them and the valves. Good luck.
Not sure you should put high pressure air on the stove gas lines. I think there may be a pressure regulator in the stove and you may damage it. Try to find a service manual, or hopefully a knowledgeable service person or member of this site will chime in.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Never seen a pressure regulator on a stove. I suppose it's possible, but on every stove I've seen, the gas pressure is regulated well upstream of the stove. And besides, isn't it the job of a pressure regulator to deal with high pressure? Regardless, use caution.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:40 PM   #6
Platinum Member

https://pantherrvproducts.com/conten...0xx-Manual.pdf - not exactly the same model number posted but likely very similar setup.

First check the thermocouple:

Quote:
9.4. The thermo-couple must not be dirty and the correct distance between the burner head and the thermo-element must be maintained (ca 2-4 mm).
cramer thermocouple.jpg
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
Hi

Ive got a Dometic 2BR-1066060 gas stove in my '12 RT 190 and the back burner has never worked since I bought the van last summer. ...
Will the burner lite with a match?
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:02 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default gassy

Hey,

Thanks for the replies.

My model does not have an ignitor, it is lit with a match. One burner has never worked in the time I've had it.

I did clean the thermalcouple when I serviced the burners. I will check the gap and ohms of resistance. Read somewhere that a bad one can have similar readings to a good one(?).

Interestingly the Dometic owners manual said: "Do not disassemble the burners."
Dometic is either:
-afraid folks wont get the connections back right or the cheap parts will strip
-they are trying to protect their dealer network
-dont want you to see how mickey mouse their stamped tin stuff is

I have resisted blowing out the lines because of what looks like a pressure regulator at the fuel rail.

Thank you
2014 Camry hybrid-soulless transport appliance
Old 03-04-2021, 07:56 PM   #9
Platinum Member

You need to lightly sand the thermocouple, like Marcopolo showed. Did that to mine 3 years ago and it's been fine ever since
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:52 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Default Regulator?

https://thecampingnerd.com/rv-propan...oubleshooting/

Could be the regulator. You can get a replacement for about $40. Mine was about 10yrs old and we're noticing very slight leak. They don't last forever.
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:07 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Clean out burner tubes and orfices?

Could be debris in the tubes/lines blocking or restricting flow. I just found this video to help you with the disassembly and cleaning.

DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote