Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #1

Default Don

I am a brand new motor home owner. Just bought a RoadTrek Simplicity SRT -- and then backed it into a rock! (Still need to get used to backing up such a large vehicle w/ no backup camera.) The collision knocked loose the power plug at the back of the RV, i.e. the plug to which you plug in the power cord that connects to shore power. Other than the plug (and the metal housing and bracket that surround it) being knocked off of their attachment to the vehicle undercarriage, and hanging loose, they do not appear to be damaged, at least externally. Could there be internal electrical components inside the plug that might have been damaged? Should I just plug it into shore power to see if it still works? Thanks for any advice....
donrecveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrecveh View Post
I am a brand new motor home owner. Just bought a RoadTrek Simplicity SRT -- and then backed it into a rock! (Still need to get used to backing up such a large vehicle w/ no backup camera.) The collision knocked loose the power plug at the back of the RV, i.e. the plug to which you plug in the power cord that connects to shore power. Other than the plug (and the metal housing and bracket that surround it) being knocked off of their attachment to the vehicle undercarriage, and hanging loose, they do not appear to be damaged, at least externally. Could there be internal electrical components inside the plug that might have been damaged? Should I just plug it into shore power to see if it still works? Thanks for any advice....
No backup camera-my zion has it built in?
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrecveh View Post
\

Power it up from any receptacle that has a GFI and if there is an internal short, it will trigger the GFI breaker,.

The Simplicity has no backup camera? I thought DOT was now requiring all vehicles to have a backup camera as standard equipment.

Maybe they should rename it the Duplicity.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
IT is a Simplicity SRT.
RT makes it as cheap as possible.

But no backup camera? mmm... that's over the board cheap.

Please get a third party camera
Off the shelf.
Cheap.
Easy installation.
Lot of video on youtube.

I cannot see how anyone (non-professional) can drive an RV without a backup camera these days.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
\

::
The Simplicity has no backup camera? I thought DOT was now requiring all vehicles to have a backup camera as standard equipment.

::

2018 is the mandate year.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
I confirmed that in the interest of lowering the price point, the Simplicity has no backup camera. The hapless owner gets to save a few bucks on the purchase so that during ownership, he/she can spend thousands repairing the bashed up rear end. This has got to be a leading candidate for the annual Darwin Bad Idea of the Year Award.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Note that he indicates he has the Simplicity SRT. I have a 2016 Simplicity and it has the backup camera. Apparently, the SRT loses even more options that would appear basic in such a large vehicle. What a PITA for a new owner to discover after purchase.
aturner1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturner1973 View Post
Note that he indicates he has the Simplicity SRT. I have a 2016 Simplicity and it has the backup camera. Apparently, the SRT loses even more options that would appear basic in such a large vehicle. What a PITA for a new owner to discover after purchase.
Couldn't agree more. It's not an entertainment toy. It's a safety device.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:34 PM   #9
Platinum Member

The back-up camera is no guarantee you won't back into something....yeah, been there, done that with a '15 210 - with 1K miles. Took out some of the ground skirting, ouch. I had my wife with me.....she didn't say any - for days!!! We all have things go wrong, you'll get over it. What makes me to pay attention was the cost of the replacement skirting, painted, etc....oh yeah, installation. Go to Amazon and get a Wireless Back-Up - and be careful, ha! Ron
Old 04-12-2017, 11:12 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Through Amazon I installed backup sensors two cameras and a 7" screen for around $100. worth every penny.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:37 PM   #11
Site Team

Yeah. I backed our first van into a tree early on. It is a rite of passage. Once you've done that; driven away without unplugging; and driven 100 miles with the TV antenna up, you are officially a member of the clan.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:29 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
The back-up camera is no guarantee you won't back into something.
Rule 1: The back-up camera is no guarantee you won't back into something.

Rule 2: The lack of a back-up camera does guarantee you will back into something.

Rule 3: Never back up faster than you want to hit something.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:02 AM   #13
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Yeah. I backed our first van into a tree early on. It is a rite of passage. Once you've done that; driven away without unplugging; and driven 100 miles with the TV antenna up, you are officially a member of the clan.
LOL

+1

Old 04-13-2017, 01:42 AM   #14
Platinum Member

When i was 19 i managed to run a motorcycle into a tree after 20 feet.

was never on one again
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:40 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
When i was 19 i managed to run a motorcycle into a tree after 20 feet.

was never on one again
I wrecked a Vespa test driving it around the block. Spin out on a bunch of leaves as I was making a turn. Doh. And yes I felt like I had to buy it.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:04 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Thanks MojoMan, I b a lookin now, ha!
Old 04-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #17
Platinum Member

The first Simplicities still had the usual GPS/back-up... presumably because they were originally ordered to be non-simplicities. Thus the later units just came with radios...

It convinced me to remove it from my list of future possibilities...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote