Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2022, 01:24 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Drain Valve Lubricant Question

The Thetford Drain Valve Lubricant reviews are positive. Does anyone use this stuff?
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:02 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
The Thetford Drain Valve Lubricant reviews are positive. Does anyone use this stuff?
Hi:

I use it each time I go into storage for more than a week. Have used for 2-3 yrs on 6 yr old vehicle. I think it works but do not know? So far have not had to change out the valve. Maybe just insurance? I also use toilet bowl seal to help keep the seal supple and working properly. I have seen people drill a small access hole into the valve assembly. Use a spray nozzle to directly lubricate the valve assembly.

Bottom line is; I think it works/helps. Probably increases the life of the seal and valve assembly?
Old 06-02-2022, 12:18 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Hi:

I use it each time I go into storage for more than a week. Have used for 2-3 yrs on 6 yr old vehicle. I think it works but do not know? So far have not had to change out the valve. Maybe just insurance? I also use toilet bowl seal to help keep the seal supple and working properly. I have seen people drill a small access hole into the valve assembly. Use a spray nozzle to directly lubricate the valve assembly.

Bottom line is; I think it works/helps. Probably increases the life of the seal and valve assembly?
That’s good enough for me.
Best regards.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #4
Platinum Member

DaveBad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:15 PM   #5

I use it too. Much like Rlum, I use it a couple times during the season and then when I put my RV into storage for the winter. Does it work? Not sure, but I haven't had any problems since I started using it 4 years ago... and I've read lots of good things about it. I also use the Thetford Toilet Bowl Seal. I started using it because after a few days without flushing the toilet I noticed that the water that should have stayed in my toilet bowl eventually disappeared and I thought it was because it wasn't sealing 100% - it could have been simply evaporating but I don't think this was the case because it was too much water to evaporate in the time that it did. I didn't think that having the bowl sit without water was good for the seal. Since I started using the toilet bowl seal, I haven't had the problem again - and when I take the RV out of storage, the toilet bowl seal liquid mixed with the pink winterizing fluid is still sitting there. Like Rlum said, it is an insurance thing and I feel confident that it is doing something; at least keeping these parts of my plumbing working.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:55 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac View Post
I didn't think that having the bowl sit without water was good for the seal. Since I started using the toilet bowl seal, I haven't had the problem again - and when I take the RV out of storage, the toilet bowl seal liquid mixed with the pink winterizing fluid is still sitting there.
I always just leave a bit of winterizing fluid in the toilet. Never had a problem, so maybe it is the pink stuff that is doing the job for you. Agree the seal shouldn't be left dry.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:59 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac View Post
I use it too. Much like Rlum, I use it a couple times during the season and then when I put my RV into storage for the winter. Does it work? Not sure, but I haven't had any problems since I started using it 4 years ago... and I've read lots of good things about it. I also use the Thetford Toilet Bowl Seal. I started using it because after a few days without flushing the toilet I noticed that the water that should have stayed in my toilet bowl eventually disappeared and I thought it was because it wasn't sealing 100% - it could have been simply evaporating but I don't think this was the case because it was too much water to evaporate in the time that it did. I didn't think that having the bowl sit without water was good for the seal. Since I started using the toilet bowl seal, I haven't had the problem again - and when I take the RV out of storage, the toilet bowl seal liquid mixed with the pink winterizing fluid is still sitting there. Like Rlum said, it is an insurance thing and I feel confident that it is doing something; at least keeping these parts of my plumbing working.
At the beginning and end of the camping season. I wear some gloves and place some silicone plumber's grease onto the actual toilet bowl rubber seal. I try to get under the rubber seal and around the top. This is in addition to the using the liquid stuff. More is better in this case.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:31 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
I've used it only about every year to 1 months. My van came with a new gray valve and older black tank valve that was not stiff, but noticably less smooth than the new gray valve. Shortly after using the Thetford valve lubricant I could no longer tell a differnce between them.

Was it just using the valve more or was it the lubricant? I'd say if your valves seem a bit tight, use it.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 02:02 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I've used it only about every year to 1 months. My van came with a new gray valve and older black tank valve that was not stiff, but noticably less smooth than the new gray valve. Shortly after using the Thetford valve lubricant I could no longer tell a differnce between them.

Was it just using the valve more or was it the lubricant? I'd say if your valves seem a bit tight, use it.
Should have read "about every year to 18 months" above.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote