Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Read the "No Whining" post on the RT Group FB page and have a question for RT owners out there.

This spring I met someone with a Winnebago trailer (not very common I understand) who went to some Winnebago RV rallies. At his first one, he was invited to attend the "tech sessions". Asking what they were about, the reply was "everyone gets together and we talk about all the things wrong with our Winnebagos and how to fix them"

So while the RT Group FB page wants no whiners, what happens at RT get-togethers? Does everyone sit around the campfire and sing happy songs? Or are there some serious technical discussions, problem solving sessions, etc. about RT's? Do RT representatives attend/help?
sometimes to all your musings
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Well now there are a couple of other FB sites arising in response to the "no whining" requirements.
And already they're moaning about that!
Old 07-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
Well now there are a couple of other FB sites arising in response to the "no whining" requirements.
And already they're moaning about that!
who's moaning?
Old 07-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
who's moaning?
Somebody requesting "no more links or blogs till MW returns"!
Old 07-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Somebody requesting "no more links or blogs till MW returns"!
You got any links? Sounds kind of interesting/odd
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Mike has a bunch of new 'moderators'. probably one of them
Old 07-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #27
Platinum Member

That request was a courtesy for Mike as his dog had just passed away and he was takings some time off.
tbirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:41 PM   #28
Bronze Member

Mike's post came after Mark Shelley posted about a new group. Someone became very righteous. The usual group went nuts.
sammie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:53 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Been there, done that.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:58 AM   #30
Platinum Member

The problem with Mike is he says not to badmouth any manufacturer but yet today in a post he badmouths Winnebago by snidely comment they can easily expand their workforce by hiring anyone who can operate a staple gun but Roadtrek can't as they have superior construction techniques. I guess the group rules don't pertain to him. I questioned him on his badmouthing comment. His comment is exact what Jim Hammil has said. I guess you need to drink the Koolaid. LOL
Old 07-26-2015, 06:03 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Superior construction techniques? A quick look through any new Roadtrek proves their construction techniques are what you find in a home build.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:10 AM   #32
Platinum Member

Except, Birdman, twasn't Mike that said that!
Old 07-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
The problem with Mike is he says not to badmouth any manufacturer but yet today in a post he badmouths Winnebago by snidely comment they can easily expand their workforce by hiring anyone who can operate a staple gun but Roadtrek can't as they have superior construction techniques. I guess the group rules don't pertain to him. I questioned him on his badmouthing comment. His comment is exact what Jim Hammil has said. I guess you need to drink the Koolaid. LOL
post a link -Please
Old 07-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #34
Bronze Member

Quote:
Except, Birdman, twasn't Mike that said that!
It was RT Campskunk who rarely posts without disparaging some group of people. I am not a fan of his. I consider him a mini-troll.

Birdman, thank you for calling him on it.
sammie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:24 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Correct. I was interpreting what he was implying which was much better construction techniques than WGO. Here's the exact wording.

"Roadtrek's a stand-alone Class B manufacturer. they're selling everything they can build, but their construction technique doesn't lend itself to easily adding production capability. big manufacturers who make tow-behinds, class C, As, etc. always have extra floor space and particle board, and some guys who can operate a staple gun. they can get another production line up in a week. "
Old 07-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Yes, that was RT Campskunk who posted the above, not Mike - and he didn't name any manufacturer though to me it referred to the discussion above which was talking about Winnebago leading slightly in B production. He's not totally wrong, and I agree with him that Winnebago leaves much to be desired as far as quality IMHO. I find Roadtrek to be better built, but nowhere near the quality of my LTV Libero.

That said, he is a Roadtrek employee so of course he is going to talk up his employer... and it is a Roadtrek page. So, I don't know why anyone needs to get all upset that this facebook page is a brand supporter. I mean... duh... of course.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Well, there are many more ancient Winnebagos on the road than Roadtreks. So I guess they are choosing their staples correctly.

I think it goes more to have mature manufacturing processes. WGO documents everything to the point of ridiculousness and engineers their lines to minimize costs. When you are regimented like that, you can drop your worker skill levels and still maintain or increase production.

Roadtrek is pretty old-school on their production methods. It works for them, but I think you are seeing it in the prices.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #38
Platinum Member

He still bashed WGO indirectly by basically saying WGO can used unskilled workers who only know how to use a staple gun. In my search for an RV I have not found any WGO cabinets falling apart and most owner reviews have been positive. The reason I'm not considering a Roadtrek is the layout. I think the 59K or even going larger to a View or Trend meets more of my needs/wants. From what I've seen on the forum Roadtrek as equal or even less reliability than a Winnebago. They may use higher quality cabinets, but everything else is standard RV appliances.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:09 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Well, there are many more ancient Winnebagos on the road than Roadtreks. So I guess they are choosing their staples correctly.
Hardly a useful comparable. When they produce significant multiples more units than Roadtrek, there will naturally be multiples of old units around.

Winnebago has upped their game in the last few years since they tanked the Era. I used to read the Yahoo View/Navion board and for some years they did have significant workmanship issues that kept re-appearing. Wiring issues and cabinet issues. I hear that this has greatly decreased. I had been considering the original Navion iQ with the rear dinette.

But one reason that they have a price advantage is because of their large dealer network plus their factory setup is organized to produce lots and lots of 2 platforms with 5 floor plans... which greatly reduces their costs. Roadtrek has three Chevy platforms, the new Zion... and I don't even know how many Sprinters... 3 or 4?
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:21 AM   #40
Platinum Member

I'm zeroing in on a 59K. I haven't seen too many recent issues on the new models which is a good sign. I hate to buy new, but the 59K is the only one that fits all my criteria. I'm still concerned about the space though. But I have to figure how much is flexibility worth to me. I think my two other choices View and Trend would be OK from a quality standpoint.