Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2021, 04:40 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Dropped Item in Black Tank

I inadvertently dropped a plastic “Aqua-Kem” bottle cap into our 2015 SS Agile Roadtrek black holding tank while flushing and draining after a recent trip. The cap floats but repeated filling and draining of the tank does not surface the cap. I tried our DEPSTECH-View snake camera to try and find it but no luck. I don’t want to get the cap lodged in the black tank outlet or damage the macerator pump. I really don’t want to remove the pump and get into the tank discharge if I can avoid it. Any ideas to solve this problem? Is there a clean out port on the black tank prior to the shutoff gate valve? It’s pretty tight quarters underneath the van so I would need to find a way to lift it.

Thanks for any and all ideas!

Steve
sdunn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

in my van the toilet is easily removed which allows access to the tank from above

I had to replace a seal a few year ago it was not a tough job and allowed for a real thorough cleaning

if you think it could be lodged down below, is there a way to push water back up your macerator hose to push the cap back into the tank ?

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:58 PM   #3
Silver Member

Thanks for the reply! I actually have a plan to resolve things. I realize now there’s a good sized clean out plug on the suction of the macerator pump between the gray and black tank isolation gate valves. See picture attached. Hopefully a little flushing and dumping will solve my problem! I’ll let you know how it works.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AD3429CC-50EB-489C-A513-3ECF31E87A0D.jpg (205.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Tapping on the tank with a hammer will bounce the cap around till it bounces down to the opening. Lifting the rear end helps. I used that to remove a dropped toilet hold down bolt. Life gets tough when we are stupid!
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #5
Silver Member

Thanks- good information! We were successful in dumping the black tank and retrieving our bottle screw-on cap; it was the final thing to drop out, just as the water we filled with was subsiding. Now that I know the clean out is there I feel better about any dropped items in the future.

I do feel kind of dumb though- could have just slid under the van and looked before posting….

Thanks for the feedback.

Steve
Old 07-28-2021, 10:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdunn4 View Post
I do feel kind of dumb though- could have just slid under the van and looked before posting….
Not at all. We all get a little panicked when something like that occurs that can ruin a trip. But if necessity is the mother of invention, then motivation is it's second cousin. You were motivated to check underneath and know have a greater knowledge of your sewer system that you might not otherwise have if not for a bottle cap.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote