Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #1

Default Dump Valve Location on RT's and PW

I went and looked at a 2001 RT 200 yesterday, thinking about purchasing.

When I asked where the dump valve was, it was under the driver side step. Under it far enough that it would be difficult for me to operate. I thought they were all pretty much the same and had the dump valves in a compartment on the drivers side of the vehicle, but not low to the ground like that.

I downloaded manuals from2001 through 2005, and it looks like it was changed in 2004-2005 to the higher up location behind the drivers door. So. Since my budget is not going to allow for a 2005 RT (unless I stumble upon a crazy deal!)
1.) Are the Pleasure Way's built in the same manner (some years/models under driver step) or are their dump valves all on the side behind the door?

I have looked at so many and I am hoping that someone can chime in here and save me the trouble of downloading a bunch more manuals to scroll through!

Also, this was the 1st time I was physically inside of one of these vans. It seemed like the rear cupboards that hang over the foot of the bed were much larger than in the zillion pictures I have looked at. They made it difficult to maneuver around to even sit down at the table in the back.
2.) Are some models/years rear cabinets larger/smaller? (asking pertaining to RT) I do realize that if necessary I could switch out the table with a lagune table and it would work a little better but just curious about the cupboard sizes.

3.) I had them start the generator and we had the fantastic fan on and a couple of lights. I ran the microwave for all of 30 seconds and all the lights were going on and off and the generator seemed to be chugging. Is this normal? (I do not know what brand/size generator was)

4.) Last but not least, this is the 1st time I rode in one (I did not drive it) but it rode like a lumber wagon, Is this normal?? I don't know if I'm used to driving my suv or if this van was in severe need of new shocks. Or, maybe this is just how they ride? (salesman told me the shocks were in good shape)

Any thoughts/input would be appreciated for the NEXT time I go to look at one!
janeybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:15 PM   #2
Platinum Member

We had a 2000 200 Versatile that with good shocks rode very nicely. The most recent shocks installed were KYB, I think Mono Max. Nice tight control without being harsh.

Were you looking at a Popular or one of the two Versatile floor plans, they are different. Our versatile did not have the rear table option.

We put over 100k miles on it and sold it(for something a bit bigger) with about 220k miles on it, still performing well.

BTW, we are in Lake County in mid FLA.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:53 PM   #3

As far as the shocks/rough riding, that may just be me, having not ridden in one of these but it just seemed pretty rough. The salesman had it on consignment so he didn't actually know if the shocks had ever been replaced. He only told me that they had checked them and that they were good. (?)

it was a 200 popular. The cabinets overhung about 1/3 of each twin bed. With the table up, you would have to bend over the table and then swivel in under these cabinets. My sister will be traveling with me if I ever find the right van, and she is disabled with back problems so there is no way she could have sat down with that table in place.

I was just so surprised they were so big as they do not look that big in all the pictures of different vans I've looked at. But again, this was my first time actually getting inside one.

I think the PW's have a little more room as some of them have a cut-out type of cabinet where the tv is attached and on the other side, a pull out counter extension. At least you wouldn't be trying to squeeze around everything just to sit down!

This is a picture of the actual van/cabinets, of course here it looks like there is a lot more room than there really is!

I am located in Pasco County! Thank you for your response!
Old 09-16-2021, 05:15 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Good research, the right questions

the more units you check out the more able you'll be to judge assess

I have a 2006 PW Lexor TD on a Chev.
a gas chev can be fixed by anyone, anywhere with parts from NAPA

The PW has the galley on the door side, when preparing meals the chef can look out the door to the picnic table and the rest of the group

the PW has only the 2 seats ( swivel), R/T models with a 3rd or 4th seat make up storage by overhanging cabinets- I found that claustrophobic

but we only need 2 seats

I trip on the R/T's drop floor- but it adds headspace I don;t have and contributes to a lower roofline- MPG

My PW dump is 1/2 way down on the driver's side, I store mt hose in compartment just in front of that

lumber wagon- it is a 9000+ pound vehicle built on a commercial van chassis. with tires and shocks ours rides smooth on the highway, but I am looking at mitigating some of the waddle on curves
I can;t imagine using this for a "dailt driver" as some are/were marketed- it's like driving a uhaul with the high clearance, weight ( stopping takes longer starting takes longer)

the genny needs to be maintained- if not, if fails as you saw...this could be a $600~$1000 fix in a shop

we have never used our genny camping- not once. it's loud like a lawnmower.

we don;t use the table tops- we use trays, saves room

watch youtube videos and see how easily ( or not) a salesperson moves around inside the van.

here is a Lexor TS model- similar to mine but sofa bed- good tour:

this pic partly shows how "open" the rear of the van is, the TV cabinet over hangs my feet. the bed on this side is 84", the other side 78" and the center fills in to make an almost king bed. the toilet is in the cabinet behind where you see the tv.

mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2936.jpg (193.4 KB, 5 views)
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #5

Thank you for your response and all the good information! I watched the video also, I appreciate that. Excellent advice on watching how a salesperson moves through the van, that one I would not have thought of, Thank You!
Old 09-23-2021, 06:44 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I may be wrong because I have an '01 200, but if the dump is higher you need a pump to empty the tanks. With the dump down low gravity does all the work, very dependably.

As for how a RT 200 rides, the factory shocks are way overloaded. Aftermarket shocks like the *appropriate* Bilsteins make a huge difference. The rear springs are also overloaded. Air bags under the rear axle to keep the suspension from bottoming out improve the ride noticeably. But it remains what it is, a big van built to the limits of the chassis' capacity.

I hope you had some water or something similar in the microwave to absorb the power! If you didn't, and you didn't ruin the microwave, the microwave's attempt to deal with having nothing to heat may explain the generator's performance. It would have been better to test the generator with the air conditioner. Odds are the generator would benefit from some carburetor cleaner, like three cans of Sea Foam in a near empty gas tank, then about half a tank of gas added to mix it up. Then run the generator for a couple of hours under half or full load.

BTW if you find the dump valves challenging the generator on these vans is not something you will want to service yourself!
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #7
Platinum Member

It might be worth it to you to hire a mobile RV mechanic to inspect a rig before you buy.

I would not trust anything a dealer says - of course he/she will tell you the shocks are OK, such a statement from a dealer means nothing.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #8
Bronze Member

We have a 2000 PW Excel RD on a Dodge chassis. The dump valves are on the driver side about 2' in front of the rear wheel, fairly close to the edge, not tucked way back under the van. I hope this helps.
RV-there-yet is offline   Reply With Quote