Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #1

Default Dumping Grey Water American Cruiser

We purchased a 2001 American Cruiser awhile back which we really enjoy. I have seen on this site and others that there is very little information available for American Cruisers and that the company is out of business.
However our problem is dumping the grey water. The tank reads about 2/3 full and it should get some attention. Dumping the black water is no problem and it is empty.
There is only one dump valve and no connecting valve that I can see as it appears that there is only one tank. Unless the overall tank is compartmentalized.
Any Ideas?
Thanks
AmeriCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Dumping Grey Water American Cruiser

The tank sensors more than likely don't work right. Many, many motorhomes have the same problem and folks learn to live with it. There are ways of cleaning the sensors by using different cleaners and methods that are listed in all the forums. Pick one that sounds like it might work for you and have a go at it. One way to check if it is a sensor problem is to put a measured amount of water in the gray tank and see how much comes out when you pull the lever. Good Luck
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #3

Thanks will give it a try. Just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook any valves, etc.
AmeriCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have a 99 American Cruiser and as with yours, it has a combined black/grey water tank. On ours, there is only one set of probes on the front side of the tank near the middle of the van. They are wired to both the black and grey tank level indicators on the panel so both always read the same. The fact that you are getting different black and grey water reading indicates yours may be wired differently then mine. When we bought the unit 2 years ago, the level indicator panel always showed both tanks as 2/3 full so I put in a set of hooded Holst Miracle probes. Initially, they worked well, and they still show when the tank gets above 1/3 full up to full, but it never shows below 1/3 even after emptying the tank. You can see pictures of the mod here.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2547
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote