Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #21

Default I went with PA

I got my EZ pass a few months back for a trip from Florida to Canada. The savings would have paid for the transponder but, after research, I found that some states wanted to classify my RV as commercial, others charged for the transponder and some had monthly fees. PA charged $35 but, if I remember correctly, if you pick auto replenish to a credit card that fee was your first draw for toll funds. They do have a 25 cents a month fee but the $3 a year was saved in the first ride down their turnpike. The convenience is what sold me and, when I came up on my exit and it said EZ Pay Only! I was happy I had it!

Florida also has an EPASS as an alternative to SunPass. Both are about the same and neither work anywhere but basically in Florida (and my EPASS works in N. Carolina, not sure if SunPass is the same. Few tolls in N. Carolina but since both transponders work there, I made sure I could remove one to bag it, if needed.).
bulletb443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #22
Site Team

Take a look at Pennsylvania. I've had the same transponder for many years, but IIRC you can register multiple vehicles with one transponder. This seems to imply that they intend to figure it out at the gates. I'm not even sure if I have even bothered to keep up with our changing vehicles. I use the same transponder on all our vehicles, including the van. Never had the slightest issue in any state. I suspect that there might be a problem if you use a tag on a vehicle whose license plate # they don't know (and even then, probably only if there is a payment issue). They will track you down anyway, but it will cost them (and thus you) more.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:32 PM   #23
Platinum Member

I live in PA, but when I got my EZPass years ago, I got mine from New Jersey. IIRC, someone told me NJ was better set up than PA or something.

Anyway, we have three vehicles each with their transponder on one account. When I added the EVC, I just went online, entered in vehicle info and they sent me new transponder. Once, when I bought new car, I just updated everything online. Very easy.

Yes, there are charges and fees, but in the big scheme of things - cost of gas, campgrounds, etc when traveling - the convenience and the time saved are worth it to me.

For a number of years, 4-6 times a year, we traveled from Philadelphia area to outside of Boston to see relatives. Between PA Tpk, NJ Tpk, Garden State Parkway (4 $0.35 tolls at the time), Tappan Zee bridge, and MA Tpk, we saved probably 30-40 minutes, maybe 50+ minutes in heavy traffic with long toll lines, travel time each way.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #24
Platinum Member

More support for my view that anything East of the Mississippi should be avoided at all costs!
Old 08-05-2015, 05:27 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
More support for my view that anything East of the Mississippi should be avoided at all costs!
Yes, there are certain regions to avoid or minimize time in - like the I-95 corridor - but other areas like coastal SC, Outer Banks, Smokies & Shenandoah (off-season), Eastern Shore, upstate NY, Lake Champlain, VT, Upper Michigan, to name a few, are good reasons to step onto the other shore.

And I am sure I missed some places in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Georgia, Alabama, etc. etc.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:47 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Tongue firmly in cheek, BobB -- been to most of those places over the years!

Fortunately as a retired old git I can minimize my use of freeways and toll roads.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:11 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
What is this EZPass they speak of?

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Tongue firmly in cheek, BobB -- been to most of those places over the years!

Fortunately as a retired old git I can minimize my use of freeways and toll roads.
I figured that, but, you know, sometimes people on this forum are very, very serious

Joined the Retired Git Club last year. Loving the back roads and taking our time. Just came back from driving around VT and taking lots of state roads, avoiding US routes and Interstate. Not in the VW camper, but in the Mini Cooper!
Old 08-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #29
Platinum Member

I drive well over 90% off the freeways. However, there are few ways getting around or through Chicago, which we have to do going east from Minnesota 2 or 3 times per year other than their toll roads. That was my major incentive.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you live east of the mississippi though ezpass is useful
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
What is this EZPass they speak of?

in the east-multiple states use ezpass on their toll roads. you get a transponder for your vehicle and you can zip thru the toll gates-because multiple states use it it makes long drives easier to navigate the tollbooths
Old 08-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
If you live east of the mississippi though ezpass is useful
I used to, Gerry: I moved!
Old 08-12-2015, 02:55 AM   #33

Massachusetts is moving toward removal of all toll booths. Instead, there will be toll bridges over the Mass Pike (I-90) every so often that will read your EZPass. If you don't have an EZPass, they will photograph your license plate and send you a bill (not a penalty, just a bill). The Tobin Bridge (north of Boston) is now tollbooth-free, with EZPass and camera systems in place and operating.

This has been a long time coming. Toll collectors in MA are paid well, and the jobs tend to go to those who know politicians. Even if they never collect from some of the folks without EZPass, the state will come out far ahead for not paying the salaries.
ds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #34
Platinum Member

I'm truly ambivalent about this trend. On the one hand, I like the simplicity of just driving through to where I want to get and letting the computer take care of billings and payments. On the other hand, I'm disappointed doing so is at the expense of so many jobs.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes47 View Post
I'm truly ambivalent about this trend. On the one hand, I like the simplicity of just driving through to where I want to get and letting the computer take care of billings and payments. On the other hand, I'm disappointed doing so is at the expense of so many jobs.

you would't if you knew how many 75,000 a year toll takers we have
Old 08-13-2015, 01:39 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes47 View Post
That number of jobs pales compared to those from the horse-and-buggy industry that you help decimate every time you choose the simplicity of driving your newfangled self-propelled RV.

I can't imagine what your point is.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Safety is a factor to consider. Going around Chicago you have to get over in the right line and essentially exit to get to a toll booth. Kind of scary when you may be in a left lane and want to get over because Chicago drivers give no truck. Then you have to merge back in sometimes shorter distances than regular highway ramps.

Time. Needless to say you save a lot of time when few toll booths are open and there are a line of cars to get through.

Money. OK, with those "lost" jobs they return savings to you. You don't pay as much as going through a toll booth.

Toll booths are not the only job casualties. ATMs have replaced bank tellers. We no longer have a gas station attendant to pump gas except in NJ and OR. Self checkout lanes in stores are another job eliminator. Fast food and big discount stores have eliminated a lot of personal attendant jobs. Telephone switchboard operators are history. Secretaries or administrative assistants they are called now have been greatly reduced with computer and cell phones with emailing, calendaring, appointment scheduling, etc. Factory automation and robotics have eliminated many jobs. Even in medical, computers have eliminated many support jobs. Amazon.com would love to eliminate UPS in favor of drones. You can't fight technology on this.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Automated tolls will continue to be the norm all over the country since no one wants to pay a higher fuel tax. Have you driven around Orlando lately? In addition to an EZ-pass I also have a Sun-pass for Florida.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote