Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2022, 07:09 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Embassy RV

Hi:

I am interested in seeing a Dolphin S on a Ford Transit chassis. I live in Southern California. Willing to drive to Nevada, Arizonia, Utah and maybe Texas and Oregon. Can meet up with someone who is traveling in one of these.

Lots of people have purchased these "unicorns" without ever stepping into one?
Before I decide to commit, would really like to walk into this van?

Thanks very much!

Randy Lum

PS. Or would recommend a California builder who build similar vehicles to Embassy? TIA
Old 10-30-2022, 07:54 PM   #2
Site Team

I strongly encourage you to stick with your plan to carefully inspect one before you commit. They are very interesting vans with lots of good ideas. But there are also many quirks and the owner is pretty opinionated. We were very excited about them until we visited their shop. We quickly realized that, although these vans would be perfect for some people, they were very much not our cup of tea. Moreover, the management was very quick to cut off any discussions of the kinds of modifications that would have been necessary to address our issues.

Please don't interpret this as a "negative review", and I don't really want to get into details. Many people love these vans, they fill a poorly-served market niche, and for the most part they are quite well-built. They are well-worth looking at. But like everything else, they are just not for everybody.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 08:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I strongly encourage you to stick with your plan to carefully inspect one before you commit. They are very interesting vans with lots of good ideas. But there are also many quirks and the owner is pretty opinionated. We were very excited about them until we visited their shop. We quickly realized that, although these vans would be perfect for some people, they were very much not our cup of tea. Moreover, the management was very quick to cut off any discussions of the kinds of modifications that would have been necessary to address our issues.

Please don't interpret this as a "negative review", and I don't really want to get into details. Many people love these vans, they fill a poorly-served market niche, and for the most part they are quite well-built. They are well-worth looking at. But like everything else, they are just not for everybody.
Thanks for you insight. Most of the buyers have never seen an actually van? They currently have a queue of 40 people. I have read reviews from actual owners and all have great things to say about Embassy. I have had my current van for over 5 yrs. I was looking at upgrading?
Old 10-31-2022, 12:22 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I’ll second what a @avanti said.

I was also very interested in the Embassy RV for my next van. I visited their facility in Elkhart last year and was disappointed that they would no longer install a cassette toilet. The also will not build a black tank toilet system. Their only toilet choices are a composter/water separator that you provide or a Lavio dry flush that they provide. That was a deal breaker for me.

I like their construction techniques using aluminum square tube framing and HDPE panels. Their composite floor system is particularly unique. I wish other builders would use a similar system.

Have you watched the Embassy RV videos on the “Go Small. Live Large!” YouTube channel? The latest video is a long interview with Cheri, an active Embassy RV owner. Check it out at this link:
https://youtu.be/kEIr1x7C160

There is also an active Facebook group of owners and wannabes.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/emba...wnerswannabes/

You could reach out to an owner on Facebook to get a better opportunity to see an Embassy RV in your area.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:26 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post

I was also very interested in the Embassy RV for my next van. I visited their facility in Elkhart last year and was disappointed that they would no longer install a cassette toilet. The also will not build a black tank toilet system. Their only toilet choices are a composter/water separator that you provide or a Lavio dry flush that they provide. That was a deal breaker for me.

I like their construction techniques using aluminum square tube framing and HDPE panels. Their composite floor system is particularly unique. I wish other builders would use a similar system.

Have you watched the Embassy RV videos on the “Go Small. Live Large!” YouTube channel? The latest video is a long interview with Cheri, an active Embassy RV owner. Check it out at this link:

You could reach out to an owner on Facebook to get a better opportunity to see an Embassy RV in your area.
Thanks. I am a member of the Facebook Embassy wannabee group. I like almost everything about the van. Not crazy about the laveo dry flush because the mylar is not biodegradable. I understand Embassy does not want anything on the bottom of the van. The second issue for us was the microwave was mounted too high. Wife wants closer to floor. I already have planned work around for these issues. I have found all vans/campers will have some compromises. For me, these are not deal breakers but small compromises.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:42 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post

Is this floor composite Thermo-Lite board from SpaceAge Synthetics? My floor is from them, very strong reasonable insulator. They gaining market in large RVs.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:14 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Is this floor composite Thermo-Lite board from SpaceAge Synthetics? My floor is from them, very strong reasonable insulator. They gaining market in large RVs.
Embassy has a sister company that makes fiberglass composites so I assume they make the floor there.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 01:33 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Is that Laveo toilet out in the open? That would be a deal breaker for me.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 01:40 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
No, there are sliding pocket doors that block off the aisle front and back. And there's a flip down cover that hides the toilet when you aren't using it. The cover creates a shelf that might be useful.

The Laveo might make sense for someone taking weekend trips but the special bags would get expensive and create a storage problem for longer trips. Embassy will install other toilets like C-head or Separett if a customer wants but they won't do a black tank. I do like the idea of a bathroom that spans with van's width. My wife and I are fairly skinny but most class B bathrooms that are little closets are almost unusable. We toured the Embassy factory last year and the bathrooms are actually comfortable and even showering in them would be reasonable.

Old 10-31-2022, 02:21 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkinhead View Post
I do like the idea of a bathroom that spans with van's width.
Yes, it is a credible design. Those who are following our new build may remember that our "runner up" floor plan used this bath configuration. The thing that makes it work is locating the large closet in the back across from the toilet. Also, it lets you use the center aisle for the shower without it being too obnoxious (the bow-out of the rear doors gives extra shower space). You have to come to terms with both of these things, but they aren't too bad if you take efforts to make the back feel like living space rather than bathroom space when not in use. This is what Embassy tries to do with the pocket doors and the cover over the toilet.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:43 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:

That would be deal breaker for me also. Traveling with my wife. She would never consider a van with a toilet in the open. Embassy has several models. The Dolphin S is the best fit for me. It is like a rear bathroom with sleeping area up front. I believe pocket door separates sleeping area from toilet/shower area. Only a single large basin in kitchen area adjacent to bathroom. So bathroom does not have a basin. OK with me but for others a deal breaker?
Old 10-31-2022, 04:57 PM   #12
Platinum Member

A back bathroom and even using the galley sink to do double duty in washing hands would be a good solution but the middle of the van toilet I think would be a pain in the butt (pardon my pun) if one wants to do just a number 1 and have to lift the counter (especially if occupied by stuff) and close one or two sliding doors which are more tedious to do than a swing door and block off part of the van and reverse the process again to open it back up.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:02 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
……………………… Those who are following our new build may remember that our "runner up" floor plan used this bath configuration………………
Can you share whom did you choose to build your RV?
Old 11-01-2022, 01:24 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Can you share whom did you choose to build your RV?
Not quite yet. I plan to tell the rest of the story upon completion. Things are coming along nicely modulo a few supply problems. Another month or two...
Stay tuned.
--Pete
Old 11-01-2022, 02:03 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not quite yet. I plan to tell the rest of the story upon completion. Things are coming along nicely modulo a few supply problems. Another month or two...
Stay tuned.
--Pete
Thank you for reply, wishing you best.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:35 PM   #16
Platinum Member

My thoughts on Embassy after watching every video, watching the Facebook group for awhile (including listening in on their monthly Zoom calls), touring the factory, and touring a half dozen or so Embassy rigs and talking to the owners:

- They're in the same price neighborhood as the big name factory built vans but with much higher quality.

- They'll build on Sprinter, Promaster, or Transits in any wheelbase or length but right now the only chassis they can get their hands on are AWD DRW extended Transits.

- They use quality components and sub systems like Timberline heat & hot water, Novakool & Vitrifrigo compressor fridges, etc, and have an eye toward efficiency for boondocking.

- I was impressed with their build quality. Little things like using Wago connectors instead of guillotine style connectors for splices. Those little things make a difference for reliability. Anyone who's traced an electrical problem to a Scotchlock connector behind a wall knows how maddening it can be. Even though they operate an assembly line they run it slow and do things right. They aren't just slapped together by junkies like some of the factories I've toured.

- They fill a niche for people who don't want a generator, propane, or black tank.

- They're sold on the Laveo toilet. I'm not a fan of it but can see how it would be good for a weekend warrior. To me it seems overly complicated and requires you to carry expensive proprietary bags. They'll install other composting toilets at your request but they will NOT do a black tank. They used to do cassette toilets but I don't believe they'll do those any more.

- By not having a black tank they retain the factory spare tire underneath.

- They include lots of lithium (630 or 920 aH Lithionics or Mastervolt). They add a second high output alternator if you get the Ford Transit chassis.

- They don't use wood and try not to riddle the van with holes where water can leak in. Speaking as someone who's repaired walls, floors, and ceilings in leaking Class C motorhomes, this is important to me. If you get the split AC there are NO holes in the roof.

- They're about the stealthiest van on the market since they only have a 30 amp plug showing on the driver's side. It would be cool if they'd have hidden that plug somewhere like under the bumper.

- They're a true 4 season van since the fresh and grey tanks are inside and they appear to be well insulated. The shower drains to a separate small 10 gallon tank under the van so that would need winterized or not used in the winter. I can't see showering in the van without a sewer hookup given the small size of the tank.

- They have a microwave but it's not convection (which is a shame). They don't have a built-in stove and instead provide a portable induction cooktop. I prefer this since it saves space, eliminates propane, and allows for cooking outside.

- They won't add solar. They believe it's a waste in a van that's well insulated and with plenty of lithium. Plus they don't want to cut a hole in the roof to run the wiring. They'd rather you park in the shade.

- They are NOT a custom builder. They build a few floorplans on a factory assembly line. They offer a few color choices and you can choose from a very short list of options but they will not customize a van to any degree. They use the phrase "controlled custom" in videos but it's really not true. If one of their layouts works for you then great. If not, look elsewhere. But, of course, they aren't charging custom van prices either.

- They're not without problems. Owners are reporting big problems with the Premier split AC and at the moment they don't appear to have a service department so it can take awhile to get help. I believe they take great pride in their vans and will soon fix the service department deficiency. Some owners complain on the Facebook group about the lack of an owner's manual. I don't consider this a big deal as long as they give the owner all the OEM manuals from the systems they install. I don't know if they supply electrical schematics and/or diagrams of the water system. Those would be important to have.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:02 PM   #17
Platinum Member

They do have penetrations on the roof. The profiles show them. Especially on the Dodge. They don't specify. But how do they get ventilation with running an air conditioner? A rooftop exhaust fan?

Their photos with the back bed converting to an office desk with a desk chair is kind of misleading if bulk item storage is underneath and not blocked off from sight from the interior. Where do you put that desk chair?

I've mentioned the bathroom's complex conversion before. It seems like a Swiss army knife of conversions everywhere and most model plans block the van in two parts moving around when converted with beds in place.

The galley kitchen is too far interior if you want to prepare and eat outside.
Old 11-01-2022, 06:18 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
But how do they get ventilation with running an air conditioner? A rooftop exhaust fan?
One of their more interesting idea was to use four powered marine clamshell bilge vents mounted on the sides:

You apparently control them independently in order to get several different airflow patterns.

I considered copying this, but I strongly suspect that powerful fans that small have got to be pretty noisy (I have no data, though). So I ultimately stuck with MaxxFan.

Whether this counts as "no roof penetrations", I will let the reader decide.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:01 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
They do have penetrations on the roof. The profiles show them. Especially on the Dodge.
They only offer the undermount split AC on the Transit chassis so the Promaster and Sprinter versions have a roof AC and Maxxair fans.

Quote:
They don't specify. But how do they get ventilation with running an air conditioner? A rooftop exhaust fan?
Thanks to avanti for pointing out the 4 vents. I forgot about those but they are definitely holes in the exterior. Like avanti, I'm curious about how loud they are. Hopefully they're variable speed so they could be dialed down.

Quote:
Their photos with the back bed converting to an office desk with a desk chair is kind of misleading if bulk item storage is underneath and not blocked off from sight from the interior. Where do you put that desk chair?
Agreed. I got a chuckle out of that picture. That floorplan wouldn't work for me at all. Not the least of which is that due to my height I can't have a side to side bed orientation.

Quote:
I've mentioned the bathroom's complex conversion before. It seems like a Swiss army knife of conversions everywhere and most model plans block the van in two parts moving around when converted with beds in place.
They only really have 3 basic floor plans and only one is the mid-bath. For the other two I don't see the sliding door arrangement as being big deal - you'd only need to close the forward door for privacy. The back would be blocked by the rear van doors. So in that sense it's the same as the typical single door broom closet of every other class B although without the need to fold yourself like a pretzel to poop. I'm not sure what the purpose is for the shelf that hides the toilet. Maybe it's for aesthetics or maybe it's to add a shelf for a lady to set supplies when doing her makeup, although my lady certainly doesn't do makeup when camping. I assume most of the time you'd just leave it tilted up with ready access to the toilet.

Quote:
The galley kitchen is too far interior if you want to prepare and eat outside.
When we cook outside we do everything outside from prep to cooking to eating to cleanup so it wouldn't matter to my wife and I where the galley is. My bigger concern would be the small size of the counter top when cooking inside.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:29 PM   #20
Platinum Member

I don’t understand the hang up with a black tank. It isn’t hard to have a toilet with at least a modest sized black tank above the floor and just raise the toilet a little. This still allows a spare tire and nothing below the van except the drain pipe. The toilet would be a deal breaker for me.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote