Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2021, 03:35 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Avanti: Great comments. The "prepaid logistical services" is something i didn't think about and something that i would highly value.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:39 PM   #22
Bronze Member

Default Progressive

Insurance also buys peace of mind. There are a lot of issues you can afford (and I'm with others who are lucky enough to be able to afford higher deductibles), but there's also a lot of peace of mind in knowing you won't get a big bill when something does go wrong.

FWIW, we signed up with Progress for $36/year with unlimited towing to the "nearest qualified service" which I suppose could be a matter of debate. They won't guarantee a Ford dealer.
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:23 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelm View Post
Insurance also buys peace of mind. There are a lot of issues you can afford (and I'm with others who are lucky enough to be able to afford higher deductibles), but there's also a lot of peace of mind in knowing you won't get a big bill when something does go wrong.
For me, money in the bank is what buys peace of mind. Buying ANYTHING that isn't cost-effective has the opposite effect on me. I suppose people differ, though.

Quote:
FWIW, we signed up with Progress for $36/year with unlimited towing to the "nearest qualified service" which I suppose could be a matter of debate. They won't guarantee a Ford dealer.
That does seem like a good value, as long as you have read the fine print. (In particular, make very sure that there is not an exclusion for RVs and/or large vehicles. Just because they will sell it to you does not necessarily mean that you are actually covered).
In general, the insurance company plans generally seem to be cost-effective if you don't want or need the "extras" that the RV-specific offerings include.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:42 AM   #24
Bronze Member

Default Progressive

In this case, this is an RV Specific policy. The fine print looks good with Progressive. Now I just hope I don't find out!
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:50 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWDean View Post
First you give a reason not to buy insurance because the value of the claim is less than what you pay in premiums because ins companies make a profit:

In other words:

Then you contradict yourself by implying premiums are a good thing if your loss would be greater than you could afford.

However, your initial argument if true for small losses is also true for large losses. The cost of the insurance premiums can also be larger than the value of the claim. Why not bank that money and pay yourself when needed?

The answer is because your claims are paid by other members premiums also who don't have claims. That is the nature of insurance. When you buy insurance you are placing a bet that you will need it, the insurance companies are betting that you won't need it. You claim is paid by the customers that lose their bet

In the present case however, I would not be insuring the cost of the tire I am buying a service that i may or may not need -- one that includes someone coming out and rescuing me from a tire incident. I don't think i get a free tire, or do I?
But roadside assistance is not insurance!
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:56 AM   #26
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wny-pat View Post
But roadside assistance is not insurance!
that's what i said at the end. it was snowy (who i was replying to) and a couple others comparing RA to insurance.
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote