Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2021, 09:46 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Re-reading that initial post did expose how much we didn't know then. It turns out that not where you live but the precautions you need to take is more the key and as highlighted in the Vanlife thread traveling in the winter (or anytime) it is not for beginners to engage such a long distance trip without preparation and gaining some knowledge. I wonder what they decided?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:34 PM   #42
Platinum Member

I have to admit, I got an email with the new post and responded here without noticing that the new post was reviving an old thread.

That said, it is important to remember that the attributes of a population can't be applied to the individual members of that population. The fact that the population of people over 50 has more people in it who have died of covid does not mean every individual over 50 is more at risk of dying of covid. It likely just means there are more people in frail health in that age group. I would not be doing a lot of public contact activities of any kind if you aren't in good health, regardless of your age.

As one doctor explained it, "covid is an accelerator, it makes whatever would have killed you kill you sooner." I am not sure that is entirely accurate, but it fits with the CDC finding that only about 6% of the death certificates that name Covid as the cause of death listed Covid as the only cause. And there are a lot of people who were not in frail health to begin with, but who are now after fighting off the disease. Its not clear how long any immunity they may have will last.

Which may complicate the travel issue. The vaccine makes you immune to the disease, but not the virus. It just makes your immune system more effective at fighting it off, reducing the symptoms. But it is not clear that you won't still be contagious to others while you are fighting it off. That hasn't been determined. So those of us who choose to travel, regardless of mode, need to be very careful to avoid exposure even once we are fully immunized.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:07 PM   #43
Platinum Member

As the OP, here is what my brother and wife decided to do--they waited an extra month and flew back to Philadelphia non-stop. I agreed with most of you that renting an RV was not the practical thing for them to do, UNLESS they rented it and had my wife and me drive it. But that would have drastically increased the total cost. Who would have guessed that this virus would last so long and still be a major problem in our lives! Waiting out the situation certainly would not have been a viable solution. Thankfully, everything went well for them and they still have not gotten the virus. Hopefully upcoming vaccinations will put them in the safety zone.

Thank you to all for the comments and suggestions!
gksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:09 PM   #44
Bronze Member

If they intend to drive across the US in a rented RV one time and drop it in Philly I would get a bigger RV and stay on the interstate. But I am looking forward to going east to west in my Class B on secondary roads.
ArtDeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:33 PM   #45

This Fall We decided to stay in Mn until we could be vaccinated. That meant our Class B Pleasureway purchased in 2012 In Tucson AZ had to Winter in Northern Mn for the first time. Winterized RV antifreeze charged vehicle battery and disconnected and plugged in house gel battery. Parked in Farm shed. Today -30 actual so not sure what issues we will need to fix. Checking for mice in all areas.
Happy to share vaccinations in Mn now 65 and older so have Covid Appointments this week and next shots in March. We decided to stay in Mn for the first time in 10 years. We miss AZ weather but feel we made the right decision to stay in place until fully vaccinated.
MnBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #46

We have been masking and isolating. After being vaccinated we plan to double mask and continue to stay isolated. We would love to go to AZ but instead now planning our garden and summer projects. The plan is wait and see but we would like to Winter 21-22 in AZ.
MnBound is offline   Reply With Quote