Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Engine Oil for MB Sprinter

This is our first MB Sprinter and about to go on a longish trip with it.

I was wondering about topping up oil en route if that should be needed - though I doubt that it will - I would guess that our round trip would be maybe 4000 miles or so.

Never did have to add any oil in our GMC diesel between oi changes and imagine the MB will be similar - hope so anyway.

However - just in case, I looked at the manual today and the only reference it gave for the oil was a bunch of Mercedes Specs!

Today, in a fairly well stocked local automotive store and - not surprisingly I guess, none of their diesel oils made any mention of the Mercedes Spec numbers.

I plan to take the Sprinter to MB for all regular servicing even though it may cost more, if only to try ensure no future arguments over any warranty issues.

But I'm wondering what to do if I need to add oil during someplace our trips?

Is it important enough that I should go to a MB dealer in advance and buy a quart or two to carry in the van?

If not important - what regularly available oil to buy? Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if perhaps MB use only synthetics - if so is it important to stick to synthetics when topping up?

Thx! ............. Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
Site Team

You definitely want to use the proper MB-spec'd oil. Has to do with your DPF. I think they allow up to one qt of non-spec synthetic oil, but why risk it?

It isn't THAT hard to find, and you almost certainly won't have to add any during your trip. But, I would find a quart and add it to your spare parts cache.

BTW: You need to match those spec numbers EXACTLY. Close isn't good enough.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
You definitely want to use the proper MB-spec'd oil. Has to do with your DPF. I think they allow up to one qt of non-spec synthetic oil, but why risk it?

It isn't THAT hard to find, and you almost certainly won't have to add any during your trip. But, I would find a quart and add it to your spare parts cache.

BTW: You need to match those spec numbers EXACTLY. Close isn't good enough.
Thanks Avanti - glad I asked, I was thinking Maybe the ref to MB spec oils was just to encourage purchase from MB and it sounds as though there is more to it from what you say!

I'll pick up a quart before we leave our home town just in case.

Our previous Duramax diesel (ran it for the very reliable years) was a 2008, and I think that was the last year before DEF.

It did have some sort of diesel particulate filter and periodically I think went into some mode where it burned of the accumulated stuff!

I had thought that the introduction of DEF maybe replaced that equipment, but I guess that is not the case and the MB diesel is still so equipped.

I just bought some DEF today and with only 1100 miles on the van found that it took at least 3/4 gallon to top it up.

I have heard of possible problems when folk do let it get low so I though as a general rule I would try to ensure it was topped right up before every trip we take.

It took a lot more to top it up than I expected, but perhaps it was not filled when PW got the bare van for their up-fit and they added nothing since there was no display message showing any need to do so.

Anyway it's done now!

Thx again .......... Brian.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:53 PM   #4
Bronze Member

229.52 oil spec for European diesels

Mobil 1 5W/30 ESP or 0W/30 ESP
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W/30
These are some examples of oil you can use. Look for the above spec on the oil container.
Kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:04 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Here is an example of the items needed for a Sprinter oil change...

https://www.sprinterpartsdepot.com/p...nt=33380574223
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:29 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kab449 View Post
229.52 oil spec for European diesels

Mobil 1 5W/30 ESP or 0W/30 ESP
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W/30
These are some examples of oil you can use. Look for the above spec on the oil container.
Many thanks - I went to our local MB dealer today and picked up some of their oil just to carry in the van but will certainly keep record of these other possible oisto use if need be

Brian.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #7
Gold Member

If you are going to use Mercedes service for warranty guarantee then I would get a couple quarts of their oil that they use and carry it with you and keep the receipt for it in your records.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #8

Default MB 229.51 Oil

Advance Auto Parts will sell you Mobil 1 ESP buy the quart size. You will probably have to order it. I have bought 229.51 oil from in stock but, only in 5 liter containers.
rrloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:52 PM   #9

Default MB Oil Recommendation

Scroll down to the discussion on oil types and weights.
Mercedes-Benz & Sprinter OM642 BlueTec Diesel Issues/Problems | Stephens Service Center - Sacramento's Best Mercedes-Benz Service & Repairs
Adagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:58 PM   #10
Platinum Member

You only have to buy a couple quart bottles once, if you change your own oil, as you can just refill them from a 6 liter or even 5 gallon jug.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
WARNING: A great many well-informed people consider the above well-known website to be total, absolute nonsense.

This is the guy who believes that you should use motorcycle oil in your Sprinter. Beware!
Old 02-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by <<B-Guy>> View Post

I was wondering about topping up oil en route if that should be needed - though I doubt that it will - I would guess that our round trip would be maybe 4000 miles or so.

Never did have to add any oil in our GMC diesel between oi changes and imagine the MB will be similar - hope so anyway.

However - just in case, I looked at the manual today and the only reference it gave for the oil was a bunch of Mercedes Specs!

Today, in a fairly well stocked local automotive store and - not surprisingly I guess, none of their diesel oils made any mention of the Mercedes Spec numbers.

I plan to take the Sprinter to MB for all regular servicing even though it may cost more, if only to try ensure no future arguments over any warranty issues.

Is it important enough that I should go to a MB dealer in advance and buy a quart or two to carry in the van?

I'm not sure if perhaps MB use only synthetics - if so is it important to stick to synthetics when topping up?

My experience from owning a 07 Sprinter based class C:

Be sure to only check the oil when the engine is fully warmed up - if you fill it when cold it will be overfull when hot and a warning light will come on.

It is important to use only the specified low ash oil and in the US that is pretty much limited to specific varieties of Mobile 1 and Valvoline full synthetic. The main result of using the incorrect oil is potential clogging of your particulate filter. ($$$$ repair)

You generally cannot buy the correct oil at Wal-Mart or many auto supply stores. The cheapest source seems to be at NAPA during the sales they regularly run for around $5 per quart. At a Merc dealer you are likely to pay well in excess of $10 per quart. As you use about 13 quarts it pays to get a decent price.

Our rig did not use excessive oil but I often had to add a quart between changes. You definitely want to carry a quart or two on a trip.

You do not want to let just any garage change your oil as they are often clueless concerning Sprinter specifics. A common problem is that they will jack the rear end using the center differential. This mistake can cost four figure repairs. Your manual shows proper jacking points and you will often need to educate the garage. They will often insist that other than specified grades of oil can be used. Many owners (as I did) change their own oil so that they know it is done properly.

None of this is rocket science but you should take the time to learn the details.
Billinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #13
Platinum Member

No lifting on the center of a rear drive axle is really unusual unless they are independent rear suspension, from what I have seen. Do the rear housings actually bend of does it collapse the center section?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #14

My understanding is that the thin tube design design means that it is structurally inadequate for lifting in the center. Mercedes does a number of things differently and garages tend to assume they can treat it just like a ford or chevy chassis.
Billinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:01 PM   #15

I would be more concerned about the def. We had to fill up the def tank after only 2000 km of a 5000 km trip. It may not have been full from the dealer or may have burned more as a new vehicle.
oakvillelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakvillelawyer View Post
I would be more concerned about the def. We had to fill up the def tank after only 2000 km of a 5000 km trip. It may not have been full from the dealer or may have burned more as a new vehicle.
True. But, all DEF fluid is the same, and can be found anywhere. It can even be pumped at truck stops.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by <<B-Guy>> View Post

I always used Mobil 1 5w30 ESP Formula in my VW TDI and it performed admirably. If you do your own oil changes, it'd be best to order it by the case online from Amazon or any reputable seller. You'll get the best price that way and you'll always have it on hand. The V6 takes 14 quarts!
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:34 PM   #18
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
True. But, all DEF fluid is the same, and can be found anywhere. It can even be pumped at truck stops.
On one of my many Sprinter service visits one of the stored codes was def out of spec. They tested it with a test strip and confirmed what the computer was telling them.

They did not try to sell me anything , i was told to just run it through and they of course they recommended Mercedes fluid in the future. The service advisor also mentioned they had no known problems with peak adblue def.

It just so happens I had used Wal-Mart brand def before that service visit. I stopped using it and switched back to adblue and the problem was gone. It was also retested on a follow up visit and was in spec. So maybe all def is not created equal.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
On one of my many Sprinter service visits one of the stored codes was def out of spec. They tested it with a test strip and confirmed what the computer was telling them.

They did not try to sell me anything , i was told to just run it through and they of course they recommended Mercedes fluid in the future. The service advisor also mentioned they had no known problems with peak adblue def.

It just so happens I had used Wal-Mart brand def before that service visit. I stopped using it and switched back to adblue and the problem was gone. It was also retested on a follow up visit and was in spec. So maybe all def is not created equal.
Folks have reported cases in which they have found bottles of DEF fluid (and other commodities) that have been emptied and refilled with water and then returned to WalMart (probably not unique to them).

Are you certain that the product you bought was factory sealed?

Obviously, anything can happen. But there is a well-defined spec for DEF, and it is not difficult to produce properly. I would be REALLY surprised if anyone went to the trouble of setting up a production facility that did not meet the spec. But, who knows? That said, I would expect WalMart to be the LAST place to carry counterfeit fluids. They have huge leverage with legitimate suppliers, and have a lot to lose by cutting corners. The behavior of their customers is another matter, though.

Also, DEF fluid has a shelf-life, although it is several years if properly stored.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #20
Silver Member

It was absolutely factory sealed, It could have been outdated I did not check that.
The service advisor at the local dealer only deals with sprinters and has been my only contact there since 2013. His opinion was use mercedes fluid but he also offered he had not seen any problems with adblue. He is not a fan of no-name fluids but that is to be expected.

As you know these emission systems are so finicky and adblue is so cheap I just stuck with it from then on. Below is what was on my receipt...

P2BA900 The emisson limit for the NOx concentratlon has been
exceeded (AdBlueŽ quality is too low).