Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2016, 12:59 AM   #1

Default Era and MB Electronic Stability Program?

Does anyone know if the Era offers the MB electronic stability program, either standard or as an option? For some reason, the only answer we can get from Winnebago or the dealers is that the collision avoidance package is an option...but no one will tell us about the MB electronic stability program. It appears to be standard on the Airstream and Coachman Galleria at least.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #2
Rok
Platinum Member

I think the ESP is standard on all MB sprinters now. Ours (2013) has it. I think that is one of the things that gives them such a nice ride. The collision avoidance package is something newer. I think it came out in 2014.

We had a sensor go out that the ESP uses, and I drove it with the ESP out and it drives more like a Mac Truck with it not working. If too much is out in your van, it will go into "limp home mode" and restrict your rpms and/or speed. That also happened and it was not a pleasure getting it home--white knuckles all the way.

.......Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #3
Platinum Member

If you are referring to Cross Wind Assist it has never been available on 3500 dually Sprinters thus no for Winnebago or anyone else.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
Site Team

ESP has been standard equipment on all Sprinters for a number of years.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
If you are referring to Cross Wind Assist it has never been available on 3500 dually Sprinters thus no for Winnebago or anyone else.
I thought the ESP included cross wind assist, but maybe not? I know for sure that the Airstream and the Galleria have the ESP. And the Mercedes guys showing us the Interstate at a recent RV show definitely talked about cross wind assist. That's part of my confusion. Even if cross wind assist is something different, I am hoping to confirm the Era has the ESP at least, but Winnebago doesn't mention it anywhere on the website -- whereas they do list it for the Navion, Reyo, Via...

http://www.airstream.com/wp-content/...e-2015_web.pdf

Coachmen RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes
Old 01-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
ESP has been standard equipment on all Sprinters for a number of years.
Thank you...that was what I thought/hoped.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Yup, my 2013 chassis includes the Electronic Stability Program (SA Code=BB9)
Old 01-05-2016, 05:13 AM   #8

This pdf list the ESP as a Standard Equipment on both Sprinters for MY 2016 (2nd item listed):

Sprinter-cab-chassis-standard-equipment.pdf

... not sure if this makes anything clearer, from a 1st Quarter, 2015 MB press release:

Quote:
After a major upgrade for the 2014 model year, Mercedes-Benz has made further investments for MY2015. ... Sprinter comes in two basic models, the 2500 and 3500, along with a factory built mini-bus. Sprinter van variants include cargo, passenger, cab chassis, crew, and mini-bus.

In a market dominated by Ford and Chevrolet in the U.S., the differentiator for the Sprinter is quality.

“We need to be the best,” said Bernhard Glaser, Vice President & Managing Director, Commercial Vans, Mercedes-Benz USA. One approach to achieving that goal is improved safety. This includes its load-adaptive Electronic Stability Program (ESP), which the company claims is exclusive to the segment. This version of ESP determines the gross vehicle weight and uses that data to better support functions such as oversteer and understeer corrections, rollover mitigation, and brake assist, among others.
... additionally to Davydd's point above:
Quote:
Also new for MY2015, Mercedes-Benz will equip the 2500 models with “cross wind assist,” an adaptive ESP yaw sensor that detects lateral wind force. The ESP then countersteers through selective braking, kicking in when the vehicle is traveling faster than 50 mph (80 km/h).

“Our customers requested this,” explained Williams in an interview with SAE Magazines. “It is a technology we are working on in general in our company.”

In a vehicle as large as the Sprinter, wind forces are even more pronounced and, according to Williams, was a natural improvement to the existing ESP system. The company’s engineers used existing sensors to determine the braking intervention.
Mercedes improves 2015 Sprinter with 4x4 option, cross wind assist - SAE International
Felicity is offline   Reply With Quote