Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2022, 05:05 PM   #21
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
How do you define immeasurable?
Climate change, being a change agent for good, etc. it really is a personal choice. I am not interested in getting into a political discussion. A 300 mile range is what I have now and I time my bathroom and meal breaks around charging. Takes an hour at a super charger. You just plan differently but it’s worth it to me to not use gas and I sure as heck save money. Plus my car is an experience unto itself and I see no reason to go back. Everyone’s situation is different as are their priorities.
elayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:29 PM   #22
Silver Member

Someday, class B's are likely to be EVs or more likely hybrids, but class A's will be hydrogen. Battery weight will take up too much of a heavy trucks payload for battery generated, EV power to make sense. Daimler Benz and Volvo have prototypes out already. Additionally, big industrial users such as steel and cement manufacturing are looking toward hydrogen.

When you consider the environmental degradation that occurs in mining heavy metals, batteries look less like the future.
Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:02 AM   #23

Default German road trip w/electric camper

Before I watched this video, I thought a camper would be an a good application for EV tech. But then, I watched these guys take a electric camper van on a sponsored trip through Europe. It's a 6 part series . Despite their initial enthusiasm, they didn't exactly give it a ringing endorsement. They seemed to spend a lot of time biting their fingernails.

AnthonyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 11:55 AM   #24
Platinum Member

A mid 2020 report indicated that the EU target for the transport sector in Europe is to deploy up to 100,000 FCH heavy-duty trucks on European roads from 2030 onwards. If this target is achieved, then one may assume that long range FCH RVs could come in to production within ten years.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:05 PM   #25
Platinum Member

FCH… hydrogen fuel cell?
Old 02-09-2022, 01:52 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
FCH… hydrogen fuel cell?
Fuel Cell Hydrogen IMO
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:17 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Imagine that two or three years from now, there are EV charging stations every 50 miles along every interstate highway in this country (the new infrastructure bill apparently aims for something along these lines, though I do not know about its proposed time-frame; I would imagine that it could easily be done in a couple of years).

How do you think that would change the EV market?
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:31 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post
Imagine that two or three years from now, there are EV charging stations every 50 miles along every interstate highway in this country (the new infrastructure bill apparently aims for something along these lines, though I do not know about its proposed time-frame; I would imagine that it could easily be done in a couple of years).

I should correct that to say, "Imagine that two or three years from now, there are high-speed EV charging stations that can charge up in an hour every 50 miles along every interstate highway in this country" (I think that is also in the bill).
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:39 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-NY View Post

That would be great for Class A or an EV truck pulling a 5th wheel en route to an RV resort with full hookups. It won't help much for someone using remote BLM land or dispersed camping in a National Forest, far from the nearest interstate.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:06 PM   #30
Silver Member

Having a charger every 50 miles on the interstate won't be much help for the traveler who is trying to enjoy the back roads. We did a 2 week swing through NY & NE in September and only the trip home on the last day did we get on the highway. We'd still be out there waiting for the sun to recharge us if we had an EV.

Earlier in the summer we stayed at a campground that had full hook ups, as we walked around I noticed that a couple of the full time residents had Teslas plugged in. That had me wondering how happy the campground owners were about that level of electricity usage. Now imagine if 10% of the sites were occupied by EV powered campers that were charging.
Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:10 PM   #31
Platinum Member

If they were long term residents they were probably paying for their electricity. At least that is what we found when full timing. Of course that assumes the campground infrastructure is designed for the added consumption. Or if short term they were possibly paying an added fee to charge their EV. I don't think any campground owner would absorb that cost.
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote