Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2022, 12:48 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default EV Camper Vans?

At the Florida RV Super Show Thor and Winnebago floated concept vans. Thor says their van will have a 300 mile range and Winnebago said 125 miles. Both were on the Transit platform. Winnebago said the battery was 84K watt. That is about 6X the biggest Volta battery system put in a camper van. They justified with research most people only go 125 miles. You could have fooled me. I put on 5,000 miles in this past 2 weeks in month of January. Haven’t they realized the advantage of camper vans is you can drive them a long way? Anyway, 125 miles wouldn’t get you up to the lake regions of Minnesota from Minneapolis and then where are you going to charge your batteries coming home. I suspect similar scenarios all over the country and out west worse. They said they have been developing it for 2 years. How long will it really become feasible?

I guess it is coming…
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:36 AM   #2
Platinum Member

That is only 113 HP, how this power will be able to move about 10K pounds uphill, I assume very slow?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:24 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Even that won't work very well in states like Texas, where it can be hundreds of miles to anything, but in the East they may work out.
ArtDeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:32 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

The Winnebago and Thor evb's were financial decisions, expected. There are are folks that will spend whatever for whatever. The press alone....................(includes this forum).................
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:33 PM   #5
Platinum Member

It would require 5 recharges before we got to a decent place to camp.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:40 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Boondocking would be completely off the table. My next car will be an EV, but an EV motorhome makes no sense for our lifestyle. The only way it works is for people who stay at full service campgrounds with hookups. Yuck.
Punkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:35 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkinhead View Post
Boondocking would be completely off the table..
It still might be possible: if an EV RV could get 300 miles on a charge, and if it could charge to 80% in 30 minutes or so, and if charging stations were as common as gas stations, and if you had a mounted propane tank. I expect that all of these "ifs" are not that far off.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 03:47 AM   #8
Platinum Member

If everything else goes electric, then RV's will as well. Or they will disappear. I doubt the RV market can support a separate market for ICE chassis.

I've said this before, but I will say it again here. The most likely future takes humans out of the driver seat entirely. That could mean transporting people and their "vehicle" or RV becomes a service. If there continues to be a ceiling on battery capacity, trading out the batteries or the power train would be easier, cheaper, and more attractive to customers than having people wait for them to charge.

In short, its hard to predict what the RV industry will look like in the new age of transportation. Who knows, we may end up with super highways that have wired power for longer trips.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:15 PM   #9
Platinum Member

There are super chargers now where it is claimed you can get a 5 minute charge. I think that is lab stuff now at Purdue University. Trading out batteries might no go over. It is not as simple as just disconnecting a positive and negative post.

Anyway, it reminds me of propane bottles. I bought a brand new bottle and after I emptied it, I exchanged for another used bottle. After I emptied the exchanged one, I took it back and they refused to take it because it had date expired. So how does one contend with a new van and batteries in having exchanged for one that is nearly expired.

I’m not too worried about any of this because I doubt the total infrastructure change over to eliminate ICE will occur in my RV lifetime or even in my real lifetime.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:22 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
There are super chargers now where it is claimed you can get a 5 minute charge. I think that is lab stuff now at Purdue University. Trading out batteries might no go over. It is not as simple as just disconnecting a positive and negative post.

Anyway, it reminds me of propane bottles. I bought a brand new bottle and after I emptied it, I exchanged for another used bottle. After I emptied the exchanged one, I took it back and they refused to take it because it had date expired. So how does one contend with a new van and batteries in having exchanged for one that is nearly expired.

I’m not too worried about any of this because I doubt the total infrastructure change over to eliminate ICE will occur in my RV lifetime or even in my real lifetime.

The battery exchange would probably work like welding gas bottles where you own the batteries but contract the exchange of them. For bottles the cost of eventual recertification is handled by the vendor as would be replacement as part of the contract. There would have to be major shift in standardizing of batteries and country wide cooperation of exchange places, which I don't see it being feasible in this country with all the various brands and competitions going on all the time.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:44 PM   #11
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The battery exchange would probably work like welding gas bottles where you own the batteries but contract the exchange of them. For bottles the cost of eventual recertification is handled by the vendor as would be replacement as part of the contract. There would have to be major shift in standardizing of batteries and country wide cooperation of exchange places, which I don't see it being feasible in this country with all the various brands and competitions going on all the time.
booster, here in my area there was a class action suit, and they paid off. They were not stating that the tanks were not full, rather 80% of 80%. Nothing changed, it is on the tank now.

If someone wants to cheat, it's simple. Just take one's owned tank when out of date and exchange it for a 'rental'? Then continue having it filled 'full'. I purchased a new one.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:30 PM   #12
Site Team

Times have changed. Everything is a "service", and people are used to it. So my guess is that "watts as a service" would be perfectly acceptable to the market going forward.

The bigger problem is technical. In addition to the standardization problem that @booster mentions, swapping EV batteries is not as easy as it sounds. E.G., remember that these batteries are actively heated and cooled, so there are hydronic connections as well as mechanical and electrical ones. Elon demonstrated the process once at an event, but it was clearly a stunt and has apparently gone by the wayside.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:06 PM   #13
Platinum Member

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301298685.html

Electric care endurance racing?
Old 02-02-2022, 08:01 PM   #14
Bronze Member

I expect semi trucks and RVs to be the last diesel vehicles on the road. The propane tanks will probably disappear as the improved house electrical systems take over, but it will be a long time before heavily loaded , long distance, battery powered vehicles make economic sense.
And both trucks and RVs have a longer service life than cars, so demand for diesel from existing units will go on a long time, but the price will rise accordingly.
ArtDeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:38 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Why not recharge the batteries while driving down the road from the generator in the RV????
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 08:12 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
Why not recharge the batteries while driving down the road from the generator in the RV????

Because in an electric powered van there would be not be a generator installed and no fuel if it was unless you carried cans.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:22 PM   #17
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Because in an electric powered van there would be not be a generator installed and no fuel if it was unless you carried cans.
I think that's called a Hybrid.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:02 PM   #18
Bronze Member

You all should check out the video on YouTube from that show. There is a full tour of the Thor. Very impressive, and like Tesla (I own a model 3) they plan to involve themselves in trip planning, etc. There are more and more chargers being installed every day. Owning any EV is a decision that requires some commitment to changing your lifestyle. But the benefits are immeasurable. Personally I can’t wait.
elayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:28 PM   #19
Platinum Member

How do you define immeasurable?
Old 02-06-2022, 04:33 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Default I Told Them My Opinion

I participated in the Winnebago survey and stated that I would need to be able to drive 5 hours between overnight recharges, and I stand by that statement still. Turtle Island (North America) is very large, and trips can take many days, even with two licensed drivers.