Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 08:22 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathman View Post
Yes you can purchase later.
That answers your question. Why buy an extended warranty up front until you need it or evaluate what you have in terms of quality? My experience is most warranty problems show up within the initial warranty period. You may sell your RV before that's up.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:27 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
Warranties are insurance.
Absolutely right: Service contracts (which is what "extended warranties" really are) are insurance.

The problems with them are:
1) They are unbelievably expensive and non-transparent insurance, which is why they are so obscenely profitable to the sellers. They are very, very poor values. Always.
2) As Ross says, one buys insurance ONLY to cover low-probability financial risks that one genuinely can't afford to bear. A burned-down house or a cancer diagnosis can be ruinous, so most people need insurance for them. The number of people who (a) own a fancy expensive B-van but (b) would be ruined by having to pay to have their fridge repaired is vanishingly small. This is obvious (although some folks here try to argue that it isn't). Deep down, everybody who stops to think about it knows that buying extended warranties are irrational "feel good" purchases for almost everybody. If you really feel that the good feeling is worth the money, than more power to you. Just don't pretend they make any kind of financial sense.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #23
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Absolutely right: Service contracts (which is what "extended warranties" really are) are insurance.

The problems with them are:
1) They are unbelievably expensive and non-transparent insurance, which is why they are so obscenely profitable to the sellers. They are very, very poor values. Always.
2) As Ross says, one buys insurance ONLY to cover low-probability financial risks that one genuinely can't afford to bear. A burned-down house or a cancer diagnosis can be ruinous, so most people need insurance for them. The number of people who (a) own a fancy expensive B-van but (b) would be ruined by having to pay to have their fridge repaired is vanishingly small. This is obvious (although some folks here try to argue that it isn't). Deep down, everybody who stops to think about it knows that buying extended warranties are irrational "feel good" purchases for almost everybody. If you really feel that the good feeling is worth the money, than more power to you. Just don't pretend they make any kind of financial sense.
And someone can simply watch the commercials on tv (even David's) for extended warranties to know they are phony 'feel good' crap.

Pathman, this topic on this forum has actually been beaten to almost death. You can search it.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:38 PM   #24

Pathman, this topic on this forum has actually been beaten to almost death. You can search it.

Bud[/QUOTE]

I did that first thing Bud, unfortunately the topic doesn’t appear in the majority of posts, so one would have to search every post that comes up to find the desired content.
Pathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:50 PM   #25
Platinum Member

In our recent trip from Portland, OR to Key West, FL we joined the DEF club. It was first issue with our 2013 Sprinter. Long story short DEF heater assembly was replaced followed 100 miles later by both NOx sensors by the MB dealer in Midland Texas. We passed the 5/100 warranty time so we paid dearly.

Back at home, I realized that the DEF temperature sensor and NOx sensors are covered under the MB 7/70 California Emission warranty, which includes the state of Oregon (thank you Avanti).

I called Midland’s service manager but no success. MBUSA corrected Midlands folks’ position and we got full refund from Midland with MBUSA apology in behalf of Midland folks 4 month later. I am very satisfied with MBUSA work to correct Midland’s error; a lot of folks got involved from Customer Service manager to field office to Midland and MBUSA stood on high grounds honoring the warranty.

Very glad we had 7/70.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:56 PM   #26
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:

Bud
I did that first thing Bud, unfortunately the topic doesn’t appear in the majority of posts, so one would have to search every post that comes up to find the desired content.[/QUOTE]

OUCH, Pathman, I did too and did not succeed. Hey if you're a man, you're genetically impaired like me and can't find sh*t. Anyway, it's a bad bad deal.

Good you're here.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I did that first thing Bud, unfortunately the topic doesn’t appear in the majority of posts, so one would have to search every post that comes up to find the desired content.
OUCH, Pathman, I did too and did not succeed. Hey if you're a man, you're genetically impaired like me and can't find sh*t. Anyway, it's a bad bad deal.

Good you're here.

Bud[/QUOTE]

Haha! Copy that Bud!

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:58 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Default My 2012 RS Adventurous ( a 2011 Sprinter 3500) was 6 years old in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
In our recent trip from Portland, OR to Key West, FL we joined the DEF club. It was first issue with our 2013 Sprinter. Long story short DEF heater assembly was replaced followed 100 miles later by both NOx sensors by the MB dealer in Midland Texas. We passed the 5/100 warranty time so we paid dearly.

Back at home, I realized that the DEF temperature sensor and NOx sensors are covered under the MB 7/70 California Emission warranty, which includes the state of Oregon (thank you Avanti).

I called Midland’s service manager but no success. MBUSA corrected Midlands folks’ position and we got full refund from Midland with MBUSA apology in behalf of Midland folks 4 month later. I am very satisfied with MBUSA work to correct Midland’s error; a lot of folks got involved from Customer Service manager to field office to Midland and MBUSA stood on high grounds honoring the warranty.

Very glad we had 7/70.
YES, I was just within the MB warranty for this when they replaced my entire emissions system...had 39,000 miles...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #29

Default Travato Extended Warranty

Hi, Pathman,

We enjoy our 2017 Travato K, but we do regret having spent too much money on extended and supplementary warranties. We have used our Winnebago and Onan generator standard factory warranties to obtain service, but have not needed our other extended/supplementary warranties thus far. I regret yielding to pressure to buy these packages from the sales closer at our dealer.

Happy Travato times to you and yours!

EmmaJoy53
EmmaJoy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Appreciate your comments Avanti. Please don’t perceive my response as argumentative, I’m simply trying to see all sides of the discussion by playing devils advocate.

So, you’re asking me if having to replace one or two large items would be a financial hardship, we’ll, i don’t know because i have no idea how much they cost to replace.
But I would then ask, is the cost of extended warranty coverage a financial hardship for you? If it is, I can see rolling the dice and not making the purchase, if it’s not, then why roll the dice? Just buy the extended warranty and your gambling days would be over! LOL
That being said, what is the cost of the bigger items that may break after the first year of ownership, and are there other reasons not to buy the coverage?
You can take it to the bank that if you experience a “presumably” covered failure that the warranty company will spare no effort or amount of deceit to find a reason to deny your claim. That is the main reason so many advise against it. If were just a matter of avoiding the risk, then buying would make sense. Sadly, my personal experience (as well as that of untold numbers of others) has been negative. Recommend you bank the money and use it as an emergency repair fund, instead. What happens, otherwise, is that you get robbed twice, once upon purchase and then again if you have a claim. Chances are you’ll have money left ovef.
BTW - at least 50% of the cost is the commission for the dealer who sells it to you. That alone should tell you something…
danielewilderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:33 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Emma Joy, I understand you can usually cancel those warranties and get a refund for a prorated unused portion.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:54 AM   #32
Platinum Member

You asked what it would cost to replace these three expensive items - In a Travato a Generator would probably cost about 3,000, a refridgerator maybe $2500, and I think I remember seeing the Truma was between 3 and 4,000.00
That said, to my knowledge NO ONE has ever REPLACED a generator OR a Truma Heating unit on the Travato FB page of 8000 people. Generators have been repaired, and a few 3 way fridges have been replaced - not sure about any of the compressor units (like the 2019's have).
If you do choose to go with an extended warranty, remember that WGO includes the 100,000 mile "fleet" warranty from RAM on the Promaster, and a one year warranty on their work. The fridge warranty is 2 years, The genny is 2-3 years, and I am not sure about the Truma as I dont think ANYONE has yet to need ANY service on them.
Also take into account that warranties may have a deductable, which will make smaller repairs uncovered. In 3-1/2 years and 55,000 miles of owning my Travato, I have replaced ONE item (a $35.00 propane regulator). Make absolutely sure that the policy is exclusionary; meaning they list every single item that is EXCLUDED in the warranty - NOT every item that is included. Also remember that many items will be covered by your insurance (I have full windshield coverage for $50 per year).
My employer has owned dozens of Car dealerships over the past 30 years. He says he stopped using 3rd party extended warranty services years ago because they were all crooks, and made more problems for his customers than they solved...
An extended warranty on a Travato shouldnt even be CONSIDERED until after the first or second year, as you are covered. You even get emergency roadside service.

Best of luck
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:05 PM   #33

Thanks Emma , DW and Scott for your responses.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:59 AM   #34
Gold Member

It's no different than health or automotive insurance. As far as a rip off No. A rip off would be something that is no use whatsoever. If needed it is well worth it's money. Does everyone use it? But does everyone use their auto insurance? No on that too. Same with health insurance , there are those rare people who never see a Dr in their life.
Just walking out to get the mail can be a roll of the dice. If we could see the future there would be the need for insurance.
The way I look at is if you have the money for it and it's worth your peace of mind then purchase it. If not then put that money in the bank in a seperate account and add to it every month to cover that unexpected repair.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #35
Silver Member

The Travato probably has the same Truma as my Crossfit. If you register the unit with Truma
You get a free year added to the warranty.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1998RD View Post
It's no different than health or automotive insurance. As far as a rip off No. A rip off would be something that is no use whatsoever. If needed it is well worth it's money. Does everyone use it? But does everyone use their auto insurance? No on that too. Same with health insurance , there are those rare people who never see a Dr in their life.
Just walking out to get the mail can be a roll of the dice. If we could see the future there would be the need for insurance.
The way I look at is if you have the money for it and it's worth your peace of mind then purchase it. If not then put that money in the bank in a seperate account and add to it every month to cover that unexpected repair.
It is NOTHING like health or automotive insurance.

Those products exist primarily to spread the risk of catastrophic, low-probability events, such getting cancer or your being liable for killing someone with your car. These possibilities can ruin one financially. Both industries are highly-regulated with standardized coverage and regulated rates, precisely because there is so much potential for abuse even in these important markets. It makes not the slightest difference that few people "use" these coverages. It is the coverage itself that has the value. It is nonsensical to talk about the "roll of the dice".

The extended "warranty" industry, in contrast, is selling protection against risks that virtually no one would find catastrophic. For this reason alone, the whole industry borders on fraud. Add to that that it is virtually unregulated, which permits them to be vastly profitable without delivering any meaningful value to the market (except to a few extremely rare "lucky" people). This entire industry plays on people's irrational fears for largely non-existent risks and the search for vacuous "peace of mind".

These products exist to exploit thoughtless consumers and do not deliver real value. No rational consumer should purchase them, and no ethical dealer should sell them.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1998RD View Post
Exactly right. But unlike health insurance and auto insurance, most of us are able to self-insure because the cost of any likely repairs is something we can cover if they occur. If you are on a fixed income or going to have to finance repairs on your credit card the warranty might be a good option.

On the other hand, people who bought third party warranties on a recent purchase of a Roadtrek with an unsafely installed second row of seats are probably covered for the needed repairs. Those of us who didn't or who lost our warranty when Roadtrek went into receivership are probably on our own. Stuff happens.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
On the other hand, people who bought third party warranties on a recent purchase of a Roadtrek with an unsafely installed second row of seats are probably covered for the needed repairs. Those of us who didn't or who lost our warranty when Roadtrek went into receivership are probably on our own. Stuff happens.
Good luck on trying to collect on a vehicle service contract for a manufacturer's defect that should be covered under an OEM warranty. These policies are almost always secondary to the OEM warranty. The fact that such a warranty may be un-collectable in the RT case is your problem, not theirs. These guys will grasp onto much thinner straws than this one to avoid paying. Part of their business model.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #39
Bronze Member

The profit margin’s on extended warrantees are so high that you should be able to easily negotiate a 25 to 50% discount and the dealer will still make money. I’ve done it several times.
cbrown154@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #40
Silver Member

The consensus is right about not buying an extended warranty on an RV, especially a new one.

We bought a 5-year-old Winnebago on a Sprinter chassis and purchased a 2-year extended warranty through the Escapees preferred provider Unlimited Warranty for $2,250 and $100 deductible. We knew it was primarily for our own peace-of-mind because of the age of the RV. Over the two-year period, we had covered repairs of $1,647. So, our peace-of-mind cost us $603.
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote