Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2022, 05:20 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
I am sure this has been discussed previously, but hey, maybe things have changed.

To use a small camping stove outside, say to cook smelly things, or avoid heating/fogging up the interior, do you prefer

1) Camp stove on a 1lb propane/butane can

2) Camp stove connected to the campers propane tank

1) seems more flexible as you are not tethered, and therefore also no tripping hazard
2) seems cheaper + environmentally friendly long-term, plus no extra mini-tanks to carry

Anything else glaring/obvious that I may be missing?
I was just about to post this on a new thread, but your topic seems like the ideal place. For a while we carried a cheap portable charcoal grill and charcoal. This took up a lot of space, so I designed a compact foldable rig to use an LP burner I already had, along with a 10" square reversible cast iron grill/griddle. I works equally well for burgers or bacon and eggs or pancakes.
I used scrap C-channel and flat stock from my shop and only had to buy the two lift-off hinges that hold the two corners together, see pic #3 (please no comment on the welding job, I am a chemist ). This attaches to the on-board LP tank with a 10' quick connect hose. The entire rig fits into a laptop shoulder bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220515_130153.jpg (297.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20220513_080947.jpg (273.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 20220513_080953.jpg (168.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20220513_081030.jpg (255.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-16-2022, 11:51 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Nice. I can smell your picture!
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:56 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Default Question ... re your 15 foot hose forth onboard gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We started out with the short hose Roadtrek recommends to connect to the gas outlet and also carried cans for when we couldn't reach. It took about two trips before we were done with carrying, using, buying, disposing the cans and bought a 15" hose for the onboard gas connection. It will reach a picnic table 95% of the time close to just by moving the table a bit. We also carry a piece of plywood to put on the spare tire in the down position so we can use that to hold the grille or stove anywhere. We still have one can in the storage, and it hasn't moved in at least 8-9 years. We use the grille nearly every day, so we do use quite a bit of gas. If you don't use it a lot, cans would be a lot easier to tolerate, I think.
We would like to have the same set-up. With your configuration, does the gas flow through two regulators or one?
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:12 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
We would like to have the same set-up. With your configuration, does the gas flow through two regulators or one?

We have the funny Roadtrek setup that is claimed to be "high pressure" but it is not tank pressure. They state it is at 15 psi, but ours even with a new regulator checks 10 psi. Basically not high or low pressure, I would say.

For this reason our high pressure Magma grille was underfired so I had to adjust the regulator on the grille by turning the coarse adjustment screw that is accessible under the knob to get the flow up enough for how we use it.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:54 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
We have the funny Roadtrek setup that is claimed to be "high pressure" but it is not tank pressure. They state it is at 15 psi, but ours even with a new regulator checks 10 psi. Basically not high or low pressure, I would say.
For this reason our high pressure Magma grille was underfired so I had to adjust the regulator on the grille by turning the coarse adjustment screw that is accessible under the knob to get the flow up enough for how we use it.
Thanks. Our marine BBQ regulator does not appear to be flow pressure adjustable. We will have a local certified gas guy take a look at our setup
Old 05-17-2022, 04:45 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks. Our marine BBQ regulator does not appear to be flow pressure adjustable. We will have a local certified gas guy take a look at our setup

On ours, it has an allen head screw that you get to by pulling the knob off. The screw is right down the center of where the knob was. Some others use a fixed orifice is what you might have for the rough adjustment. Propane guy would probably put in a bigger one or drill out the one you have. If it is a Coleman it might have a sintered metal brillo type looking thing in the output of the regulator which I think is an anti flashback stop. Our fold n go grille had that and it was a huge pressure drop through it.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:04 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I just talked to a gas guy who told me (and as previously stated on this forum) that an Extend-a-Flow could be the solution as long as there is enough space between the tank and the regulator.
Has anyone placed an Extend-a-Flow on a RT190 (Chevy 3500) propane tank?
Old 05-17-2022, 05:14 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
On ours, it has an allen head screw that you get to by pulling the knob off. The screw is right down the center of where the knob was. Some others use a fixed orifice is what you might have for the rough adjustment. Propane guy would probably put in a bigger one or drill out the one you have. If it is a Coleman it might have a sintered metal brillo type looking thing in the output of the regulator which I think is an anti flashback stop. Our fold n go grille had that and it was a huge pressure drop through it.
That would be cool if we are able to do the same; your solution sounds easier and cheaper than adding an Extend-a-Flow.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:17 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
The quick connect on our PW is regulated and the hose I connect to the burner has no regulator on it. I did add the gas valve to the burner to allow adjustment of the flame. Seems to work just fine. Obviously, if you want to run directly off a high pressure propane tank, a regulator would be required.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:24 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reilym View Post
The quick connect on our PW is regulated and the hose I connect to the burner has no regulator on it. I did add the gas valve to the burner to allow adjustment of the flame. Seems to work just fine. Obviously, if you want to run directly off a high pressure propane tank, a regulator would be required.
Thanks ... this gives us three possible solutions.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:31 PM   #31
Platinum Member

From the details in this thread I think liquid gas stoves are better because:
1. Energy density. Liquid gas goes further and lasts longer than propane. It is also easier to store and takes up less space that the gas canisters (I usually just fill the stove tank before a trip and take a 1qt can of reserve for all but the longest trips - enough to use daily for a month or so). The dual-fuel models can use unleaded gasoline as well which is available everywhere.
2. No hose tethers. Refilling the gas canisters is a safe and quick operation that doesn't require any specialized equipment other than a funnel.
3. No pressurized spilling. The gas won't accidentally create a thermobaric explosive in my storage compartment if it leaks.
4. Not that cost is a big deal, but they are cheaper to operate as propane is getting pricey.

The only downside is I have to pump the tank before lighting it each time I use it. An pretty minor inconvenience for the freedom it provides.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:53 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegw2 View Post
The only downside is I have to pump the tank before lighting it each time I use it. An pretty minor inconvenience for the freedom it provides.
Brings back memories of backpacking with my trusty Svea 123 stove. Self-pressurizing--started up by igniting a little puddle of fuel in a built-in depression. I still remember the little magic trick of warming the stove in your hands on a cold morning. The fuel would pressurize enough to push a little out the burner and into the depression. You then lit it with a match, and the resulting flame pressurized the tank. The skilled practitioner would open the valve at the last second before the priming flame burned out, so as to ignite the burner without wasting a second match.

But I digress...
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:08 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
From the details in this thread I think liquid gas stoves are better because:
1. Energy density. Liquid gas goes further and lasts longer than propane. It is also easier to store and takes up less space that the gas canisters (I usually just fill the stove tank before a trip and take a 1qt can of reserve for all but the longest trips - enough to use daily for a month or so). The dual-fuel models can use unleaded gasoline as well which is available everywhere.
2. No hose tethers. Refilling the gas canisters is a safe and quick operation that doesn't require any specialized equipment other than a funnel.
3. No pressurized spilling. The gas won't accidentally create a thermobaric explosive in my storage compartment if it leaks.
4. Not that cost is a big deal, but they are cheaper to operate as propane is getting pricey.

They’re also very inexpensive if you look for them on Craigslist or what ever. I bought a Coleman 425F, made in 1987, for $1 at a yard sale and spent about $15 making it work like it was meant to. I have several Coleman stoves and lanterns because they’re fun to rebuild/restore. What they aren’t is compact or light, but nothing says camping like burning off all your arm hairs lighting the stove.
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:55 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Brings back memories of backpacking with my trusty Svea 123 stove. Self-pressurizing--started up by igniting a little puddle of fuel in a built-in depression. I still remember the little magic trick of warming the stove in your hands on a cold morning. The fuel would pressurize enough to push a little out the burner and into the depression. You then lit it with a match, and the resulting flame pressurized the tank. The skilled practitioner would open the valve at the last second before the priming flame burned out, so as to ignite the burner without wasting a second match.

But I digress...
I still have one with a little aluminum pump to start, mine is about 45 years old. They are still avialable. https://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Svea-...770775560&th=1
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:31 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Quote:
I still have one with a little aluminum pump to start, mine is about 45 years old. They are still avialable. https://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Svea-...770775560&th=1
Good point. The liquid stoves last nearly forever and will probably end up used by your descendants.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:52 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Good point. The liquid stoves last nearly forever and will probably end up used by your descendants.
Hiker Plus is one of my current stoves, small, potent, but loud. This design has been repeated in many countries. There is one fellow selling 3D printed flame noise reduction adapters but I am staying with the original burner.

https://www.optimusstoves.com/en/ch/...mus-hiker-plus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (240.9 KB, 7 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:36 PM   #37
Platinum Member

I found this video by a guy discussing camp stove options. His focus is on international travel, but along the way makes quite a few points about the advantages of liquid fuel stoves over propane.

I also went down the rabbit hole of different liquid fuel stove designs. I was familiar with the Coleman approach which uses a pump to pressurize the tank and, in most circumstances, lights instantly with a clean blue bunsen flame due to vapor buildup in the tank. The resulting flame heats the generator and seamlessly continues to burn without the user ever even noticing the transition to boiled fuel vapor.

It turns out there is another common design that requires the generator to be heated before any vapor is produced. This type typically has a little asbestos pad under the burner. You open the valve and let a small amount of fuel squirt onto the pad, close the valve, and light the fuel. It has to burn for a few minutes with a dirty yellow flame until the generator is hot enough to boil the fuel. At that point you can open the valve and get a the clean blue bunsen flame.

My understanding is that Coleman achieves its magic with a fairly complex pickup tube that draws vapor from the top of the tank when it is cold and then transitions to drawing liquid fuel once it is warm. This makes it slightly more prone to clogging up if you use low-quality fuel. The other design is less complex with fewer areas that can clog and the ones that can are easily accessible for cleaning. That advantage probably matters more in countries with poor quality fuel. Most people with Coleman stoves get decades of use out of them with minimal to no maintenance.

MSR makes liquid fuel stoves as well but it seems like there are a very large number of complaints of them failing to work on a regular basis.

You can find both designs for the stoves on Amazon made by the Chinese company BRS.

The version that does not require pre-heating is the BRS-29B. Here is a video of it in operation:

The one that requires a few minutes of pre-heating is the BRS-12. Here is a video of this one:

For some reason the Coleman 533 is unavailable right now. It is widely reported to be exceptionally reliable and probably worth the extra size even though it is slightly bigger than the BRS.
Old 05-25-2022, 02:00 PM   #38
otr
Gold Member

Quote:
Not sure which reply you were asking about, but the bbq tank to bernz o matic thread have a built in regulator, and we have two connected to a Y like this one

otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:42 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Quote:
For some reason the Coleman 533 is unavailable right now. It is widely reported to be exceptionally reliable and probably worth the extra size even though it is slightly bigger than the BRS.
I have an older single burner Coleman 400/442 that is similar to the 533, but is smaller and has folding legs like the BRS. I suspect they are no longer made. Perhaps the BRS is a Coleman clone?
Old 05-26-2022, 01:06 AM   #40
Platinum Member

Default Coleman Seems All Out of Dual-Fuel Stoves

Went to Amazon, looking for Coleman stoves. All I saw were propane-fueled. No white-gas/unleaded gasoline stoves to be found. Looked elsewhere online. Nothing available at REI or any of the other sites I explored. I have a nice 20-year old two-burner dual-fuel that I added a propane adapter to (tri-fuel!).

I agree with others regarding the efficiency/heat content of gasoline used in a stove and am happy to have the flexibility it affords.

In my kit, I also have a 40-year old Optimus 8R stove with the little aluminum pump. It still works!
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote