Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2021, 06:50 PM   #1

Default Extremely exaggerated bumpy ride

New to this Forum. I've explored previous threads but haven't found anything specific to my question.

Our Coachmen Galleria on a Sprinter 3500 4x4 dually (bought new, now at 20K miles) rides extremely bumpy on any road when encountering uneven pavement, potholes, construction, speed bumps, etc. This happens whether going slow or fast; whether I approach straight-on or at an angle. It also sways front-back whenever there is a change in grade, especially at speeds above 10mph.

Tire pressures are within range. I had a front wheel alignment. The rig has Sumo springs. Aside from a full water tank and possibly some black/gray water content, there is no other load (including any towing). I plan on changing front tires soon (aside: the front left tire had abnormal wear on the outer rim, but MB claimed it was according to standard during inspection -- we went ahead with the alignment and balance just in case).

I understand the physics of the rig as it is tall, narrow and heavy. But, this bumpiness and swaying does not seem normal. This has happened since the first day and we thought it was just a part of the Class B experience.

Any input on how to minimize or address this issue would be much appreciated!

2019 Coachmen Galleria Li3 24T (Sprinter 3500 4x4)
rvrvrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:51 PM   #2
Silver Member

First place I'd look at is the shocks. Maybe they are too stiff for how you use your rig, or not as sophisticated with variable dampening capabilities as some of the premium shocks.
rogerstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:59 PM   #3

Thanks @rogerstg

Definitely on my list for assessment.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:19 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum rv,etc.,etc.!

Yes, shocks first. Then, look into Sumo Spring bump stops that can control bounce and limit side-to-side rocking. Finally, an expensive air ride upgrade like VB Air ride suspension.

My guess is the shocks will bring a noticible improvement, with some additional with the Sumo Springs. Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:07 AM   #5
Platinum Member

There's a place called Agile Off Road that specializes in improving rides or making vans more off road capable. You may want to see what they have to say. You can search on YouTube for their Sprinter RIP kit. I don't know them and haven't tried their products but it's a very popular local business. It may give you ideas for your rig.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:34 PM   #6

Thanks, @rowiebowie. I am definitely replacing the shocks. I have the front Sumo Springs and looked into bump stops... are the bump stops a separate/additional component for the already-installed Sumo's? I'll start there. An air ride upgrade looks very costly - if the shocks and springs don't fix this issue, it may be time to look into another rig.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:40 PM   #7

Quite impressive product, @Lennie! I will contact them to get some more ideas and their options.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:28 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrvrv View Post
Thanks, @rowiebowie. I am definitely replacing the shocks. I have the front Sumo Springs and looked into bump stops... are the bump stops a separate/additional component for the already-installed Sumo's? I'll start there. An air ride upgrade looks very costly - if the shocks and springs don't fix this issue, it may be time to look into another rig.
I was referring to the Sumo Spring bump stops only, not their actual spring products.

I suggest you try things one at a time and see whether you notice improvement before moving on to the next thing.

I mentioned VB air suspension as an option, but agree it is very expensive and a last resort. Others on this forum have reported mostly less-than-favorable results with cheaper air bag systems, so be careful considering those as a lower cost alternative.

Let us know how the shocks go.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumpy, coachmen galleria, sprinter, suspension