Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2020, 12:49 AM   #1

Default Factory Cargo Headliner

Hello all. First post.
2019 Sprinter 144” 4x4 high roof.
Building my first RV. Slowly.
Should have ordered factory headliner for cargo area. My first mistake and it hasn’t even started down the production line.
Local dealer says MB must do a one off for you if it’s even available.
So this prechatter is making it sound as though things may get pricey. I was thinking that maybe the new model was only modified in front of the door and everything behind should have remained the same. Then shouldn’t a headliner from 2018 or 2017... fit?

Thank you in advance

Rhino1
Rhino 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:02 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Hi and Welcome

I think the "tone" for a self build is to get away from dealer anything

check for a local auto/marine upholstery shop to take this on- you'll be needing them more and more through your build for sofa/bed/cushions etc right?

gonna have holes for skylight/fan or air conditioner?

think about what insulation is going inside the shell too

mike (former Haligonian)
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:27 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino 1 View Post
Hello all. First post.
2019 Sprinter 144” 4x4 high roof.
Building my first RV. Slowly.
Should have ordered factory headliner for cargo area. My first mistake and it hasn’t even started down the production line.
Local dealer says MB must do a one off for you if it’s even available.
So this prechatter is making it sound as though things may get pricey. I was thinking that maybe the new model was only modified in front of the door and everything behind should have remained the same. Then shouldn’t a headliner from 2018 or 2017... fit?

Thank you in advance

Rhino1
I very much doubt if <2018 are compatible. This shelf is only for 2007-2018, call them and ask - https://vancillary.com/products/spri...eadliner-shelf. If this shelf doesn't fit a headliner will likely not fit as well.

Watch the Sprinter forum, folks sell headliners often but usually complete sets from passenger vans. I did my conversion with passenger headliner, looks good but is not easy to hang overhead cabinets.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:52 AM   #4

Hi George
I have already heard of you from watching an ourcaracan video about hanging cabinets through factory headliner. I think I can follow the lead he took from you.
Re the shelf, I can understand a shelf up to 2018 not filling my van because changes were made in the cab. Another van building friend in Quebec Believes they are the same behind the cab.
Any input is welcomed. I thought about buying one removed from a members van but shipping such an item to Nova Scotia may be costly should it not fit. So far MB hasn’t been very helpful.

Thank you
Jan
Old 10-21-2020, 04:55 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino 1 View Post
Hi George
I have already heard of you from watching an ourcaracan video about hanging cabinets through factory headliner. I think I can follow the lead he took from you.
Re the shelf, I can understand a shelf up to 2018 not filling my van because changes were made in the cab. Another van building friend in Quebec Believes they are the same behind the cab.
Any input is welcomed. I thought about buying one removed from a members van but shipping such an item to Nova Scotia may be costly should it not fit. So far MB hasn’t been very helpful.

Thank you
Jan
Best of luck in your conversion endeavors. DIY experience is like a merger of motorboat and sail boat experiences in one. A lot of fun getting to the destination and a lot of fun once there.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Just curious, if you don't mind me asking, where in NS?

I drive from Houston to Sydney once a year, and with the pandemic and the reduced flights and what not, that may increase. It's good to know where folks are sometimes, for future potential logistical reasons.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:08 PM   #7

I’m 20 minutes outside of Halifax. Near Peggys Cove.
Jan
Old 10-21-2020, 01:08 PM   #8

Thank you George.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:14 PM   #9

Hi Mike
No A/c going in this unit. I’ve installed a max fan already. Don’t feel like I’m swallowing my pride by using the factory headliner. I like the look. I’ve done everything myself so far.
Pizza corner hasn’t changed locations and give Naturally by JJ Cale a listen. Might remind you of someone.
Jan