Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2020, 03:52 AM   #1

Default Fan question 1996 coachman

Hi, I have a 96 coachman on ford chassis (class b). I need to replace my roof fan and thought I might as well upgrade. My fan is a very basic one, and I want to get the maxxair maxfan 7000 or 7500... will I run into any issues going to a bigger fan? Maxxair says I need 5 amps, not really sure what supply is to current fan. Thanks for any info on this.
scrptdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Should be straight forward swap if your current fan is 14x14. 5 amp is very low draw and most certainly current wire should be fine for that, but you might need to increase fuse on that circuit to 7 amp if its a 3 or 5 amp currently.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Be aware that Maxxfan has had an issue with the variable, 10speed, fans in handling higher than about 13.2v or a bit higher depending on who you believe. The are quite few complaints about burned out control boards, and the voltage issue came straight from Maxxfan as on issue. Nearly every RV will see upwards of 15v on occasion so this a big deal and can be costly. There is a discussion about this issue on this forum from a while ago.

You may want to get a hold of Maxxfan and see what they say about the current status of the issue and if it has been fixed yet. Also about serial numbers so you would know if one you buy has the fix in it. I would use email so you get it in writing before spending the quite high price for the fancy fan.

We have one and will be adding a voltage regulator and switch to it if the issue is resolved with an updated board from Maxxfan.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:05 PM   #4

Yes the maxxfan was crap right out of the box. But customer service was good, they are shipping me a new circuit board and I will be installing the voltage regulator someone posted about as a fix. Already have the regulator, waiting on the circuit board.
scrptdr is offline   Reply With Quote