Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2020, 08:59 PM   #1
Silver Member

Question Fan-Tastic vent cover add-on

Has anyone with a Sprinter-based class B installed the add-on cover for their Fan-Tastic fan?

Which model fan and cover did you use? How long ago was your stuff done?

Do you have any pics to share? Thoughts on how it looks against the sleek roof of the Sprinter class B?

I really like the idea of putting a cover over the fan. My Passage has the fan up front and fairly well centered so I don't know that it will be crazy visible but I'd def like some input from those of you who have done it or considered it. I also see that the Maxx Air covers seem to limit the lid a bit on opening height so, considering if I care enough to add the extra height of the Fan-Tastic cover.

Thanks
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

here's old thread on my pleasure way Chev

long story short- works to allow vent open on highway, keeps rain !!! and bugs out, 20 minute install
looks like someone put a trash can on the roof

really though, I was afraid of loosing cover in a sudden storm, the cover solves that

Fantastic Fan Ultra Breeze at camping world cost me about $35

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vent-5618.html
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:47 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I prefer the Aero-flo vent cover. Had ‘em for 14 years. No UV degradation. They look a bit better than the others. Opening is restricted a bit.

https://www.adventurerv.net/camco-ae...e628lo7ibhgnn1
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I totally understand the need for a rain cover and can't understand why outfitters don't just install Maxxfans as OEM. Then, there would be no need for these posts.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:34 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Opening is restricted a bit.

with the fantastic cover I use- the wider opening allows not to use the fan most of the time when parked ( noise).
maybe an advantage
Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
Silver Member

Thanks for the feedback. I picked up one of the Maxx Air basic covers (although I am leaning towards the Fan-tastic cover) to set up there and check out the appearance. I'm definitely sold on the idea of putting a cover on, just need to decide which one is the least in your face.

I'll post some pics when I try it out.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #7
Silver Member

Looks alright, I think. I'll be taking the MaxxAir sticker off if I can but otherwise, I think this is it.

Also after I actually got up there and started to place it over the vent I realized I only have a couple inches between the vent rear and the solar panels so the larger covers won't fit if they are too much off square shape.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:41 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I have had one on mine for about three years. I also bought the screen insert. I is a great thing, no rain, no bugs...good buy. I did add some Blue Loc-Tite to the screws, to prevent them from loosening.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:06 PM   #9
Gold Member

Just a note with regard to rain protection, but not wind/driving protection, we have the model of fantastic fan that has a rain sensor. I am surprised at how well it works. The vent lid closes at first few drops of rain, and reopens again less than half an hour later to re-sense if it’s still raining. We also have a rain sensor on our large Heki (Dometic) skylight and it also works well /but doesn’t reopen once closed, a difference in electronic circuitry I guess. I’m not saying that a Maxair vent isn’t a good alternative as we’ve had it on our previous RVs, but in our case it would increase our roof height while driving (our ac unit is faired into the back or our LTV B+)
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:42 PM   #10
Platinum Member

For many years I used the MaxxAir cover & removed the mesh netting, supposedly this was the cause of some Fan failures - but with Solar, I didn't want any shadows so I am in a compromise now with venting of hot air.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190106_170931.jpg (163.2 KB, 18 views)
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #11
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I totally understand the need for a rain cover and can't understand why outfitters don't just install Maxxfans as OEM. Then, there would be no need for these posts.
Yes - we removed our Fantastic Vent fan and replaced it with a Maxxair. Low profile and works great.
pasusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasusan View Post
Yes - we removed our Fantastic Vent fan and replaced it with a Maxxair. Low profile and works great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertiboo View Post
Just a note with regard to rain protection, but not wind/driving protection, we have the model of fantastic fan that has a rain sensor. I am surprised at how well it works. The vent lid closes at first few drops of rain, and reopens again less than half an hour later to re-sense if it’s still raining. We also have a rain sensor on our large Heki (Dometic) skylight and it also works well /but doesn’t reopen once closed, a difference in electronic circuitry I guess. I’m not saying that a Maxair vent isn’t a good alternative as we’ve had it on our previous RVs, but in our case it would increase our roof height while driving (our ac unit is faired into the back or our LTV B+)
The problem with self-closing rain-sensing roof vents are that they have to close in the first place. We've boondocked many nights with rain (sometimes on and off throughout the night) with our Maxxfan able to run continuously bringing in fresh cool air. Unfortunately, our small vans are like cars and can quickly get warm or air can feel stale within a few minutes without introducing fresh air.

I have the same concern for sliding windows that can't be left open during rains like the awning style on our van. But many rv upfitters still use them (probably for lower cost).
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 05:52 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasusan View Post
Before I start, IF ONLY ALL RV EQUIPMENT WAS AS RELIABLE & SIMPLE LIKE THESE LEGENDARY FANS ...

I too, removed my Maxxair, considering adding the Electric unit but my concern has always been the shafdow upon the solar panels which by way of choice, were the best fit at the time.

In fact I gave the Maxxair to someone because of this shadow but as it is, my fan is not as powerful at exhaust as before because;

I keep the cover low to reduce offending shadow but someone did educate me wonderfully about shadows during the highest point of solar production when the sun is at the best possible angle.

Its as thougg it brings it out but it does not exhaust as well because of that small opening.

When I look at the All Electric Fan, I see it has an extra lip at the rear (definite shadow), but it seems to pull up well the hot air, curving it & pushing it down & out.

I will add some photos next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190201_112704.jpg (148.3 KB, 10 views)
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 08-22-2020, 05:57 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I wonder if Installed it facing the other way.

My panels are affixed in parallel so if one gets shadow (the large rear 170 watt), the front one can be unaffected (80 watts).

Tags
vent cover