Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: Favorite Class B

how about this

http://www.cmrvs.com/mbcruiser/brochure.pdf
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
Gulfstream made the VISTA Cruiser. Forest River made the MB Cruiser m different animals. Google search and you will find a brochure pdf.
Regardless, neither one lasted very long in the early days of the Sprinter. I looked at both when I first started shopping in 2005. Basically, the Forest River mid bed design failed fast. Airstream also tried it at first and abandoned it. Other plans with electric sofas or twin beds in the back just seemed more practical and appealing. Coach House Arriva just revived that mid-bed full-bath design. The Gulfstream hiked up fixed bed with window extensions had problems with the extensions I faintly remember. Also, imagine trying to climb into that high bed. The high bed wasn't attempted again until Winnebago figured it out for the ERA 70A. The other big reason they failed is both were a big notch below in quality to LTV, P-W and RT at the time. LTV was the first to offer a Sprinter Class B and they nailed the design for a long narrow van on their first try that has stood the test of time.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Davydd has spoken. I guess we can close this thread!
Old 10-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #24
Site Team

Our 2005 Airstream Interstate had the mid-bed. In some ways, we miss it. The resulting openness in the front of the van and the always-available nap-ready sofas are hard to beat. The big negatives were having to crawl out of the head-end of the bed to get to the bathroom and having to commit to more-or-less doing nothing else once the bed is made up for the night. On balance, I prefer our current GWV trifold rear bed layout, but it isn't a no-brainer. My wife would probably vote for the mid-bed.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #25
Platinum Member

So I have to defend my choice cause they "failed" .Both rigs Gulfstream and Forest River are still out there rollin along and not falling apart or crashing. Sheesh! The MB Cruisers quality was several notches below but their designs were several notches above in my humblexhumble opinion.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
So I have to defend my choice cause they "failed" .Both rigs Gulfstream and Forest River are still out there rollin along and not falling apart or crashing. Sheesh! The MB Cruisers quality was several notches below but their designs were several notches above in my humblexhumble opinion.
The market spoke and didn't agree with you. That's the evidence. You don't have one either do you?
Old 10-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Happy thoughts, Happy thoughts, Happy thoughts
Old 10-18-2014, 09:28 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:

Davydd has spoken
Old 10-18-2014, 10:34 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here you go Stan. One happy couple with a Forest River MB Cruiser showing it in detail in a 15 minute video. It has though just about been completely remodeled inside and out.

http://www.thefitrv.com/about-das-bus/
Old 10-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #30
Platinum Member

No no . The market has spoken.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:13 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Well, I have seen a number of mid-cabin bed rvs, most with a slide-out. I hated my 22 1/2 ft Trail-lite with mid-cabin gaucho. The newer models have walkaround ability but I do like the rear electric bed system. In looking for a replacement for our PW Plateau I am still pondering how to get one with a shower my spouse would accept, preferably dry bath. I don't mind what we now have.
But as Davydd has noted before several times, length and wide of an RV are important considerations especially for parking in those small lots--at Walmart it doesn't matter.
And I don't want anything longer than 22ft9inches max.
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #32
Silver Member

That Vista Cruiser tank size is incredible, that would be a no brainer. We went this weekend looking at the Era's and I think we may end up with an Era just for price reason. Saw the Airstream Grand Tour that I thought was my fav in person, and honestly it seemed a little cramped, maybe bc the inside had darker colors inside. It wasn't bad tho, but for the price not worth to us. Anyone know what the going price should be for a 2015 Era, I'm hoping to get mid 80's?? Of course want screen options. This dealer tried to sell us a black one (gorgeous) for $92. Seemed high, he said the black paint option costs more. Don't think that's true?? Any thoughts on Era, anyone with any bad probs? Thanks!
cjscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Which ERA? There are three different designs. I know a few with the ERA 70A with the fixed king size bed in the back and they are all pleased. The 2014 models seem much improved over the 2013 ones. I think they paid attention to the general complaints. The people I know are fairly knowledgeable tinkerers with theirs and got to making their own corrections and modifications right away to eliminate things like squeaks and rattles.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjscott
That Vista Cruiser tank size is incredible, that would be a no brainer. We went this weekend looking at the Era's and I think we may end up with an Era just for price reason. Saw the Airstream Grand Tour that I thought was my fav in person, and honestly it seemed a little cramped, maybe bc the inside had darker colors inside. It wasn't bad tho, but for the price not worth to us. Anyone know what the going price should be for a 2015 Era, I'm hoping to get mid 80's?? Of course want screen options. This dealer tried to sell us a black one (gorgeous) for $92. Seemed high, he said the black paint option costs more. Don't think that's true?? Any thoughts on Era, anyone with any bad probs? Thanks!

I read the brochure-jet black is not available from MB on the 4 cyclinder-just the 6. so the Jet black sprinter costs winnebago more and they pass it on to you. I read this in the downloadable brochure not the webpage

slide screen door not available 70A
Old 10-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Some 70A owners have had custom side sliding screen doors fabricated by Advanced RV. Maybe that will spur Winnebago to come up with a solution. After all, there is now a design to copy and it is not impossible.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #36
Silver Member

Well we got a little better price offer now. We thought we would prefer the 70A but decided on the 70X after sitting in both. The 70C is REALLY nice but decided we prefer having 2 living areas in case one of us wants to get away a little lol. If the 70A had a sofa bed sleeper instead of twins, screens and pop up TV instead of fixed one on counter, would have preferred that one. It's so hard bc like different things about all of them. It's been really hard deciding.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #37
Silver Member

I read the brochure-jet black is not available from MB on the 4 cyclinder-just the 6. so the Jet black sprinter costs winnebago more and they pass it on to you. I read this in the downloadable brochure not the webpage

slide screen door not available 70A[/quote]

We'll look into this. Just talked to a different dealer on ordering a new one and that dealer said no difference in price. We did not drive it had driven a different PW Sprinter. So now wondering if it would drive differently, rattle, etc. If anyone can give honest opinion on how newer models drive, handle, rattle would appreciate. We assumed similar but just read something about rattles or back riding rough?
Old 10-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #38
Platinum Member

I've yet to see a layout that I like better than this. I'd add AC, and probably a generator, and change the TV location.

[youtube:sjpac4x8]hxpl2Ya-lwg[/youtube:sjpac4x8]

I've struggled with the idea of a B van for extensive boondocking. I think a trailer is better suited for that for longer stretches. I'd be happy with a van that could go a week between servicing, but the reality is you need to fill and dump every 2 to 3 days.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #39
Platinum Member

With 40 gallons fresh, 26 gallons grey and 18 gallons black I know we can go a week between dumps with two people in our coming Advanced RV compared to our former Great West Van Legend of 29 gallons fresh, 20 gallons grey and 10 gallons black that has stretched to 5 days numerous times in dry camping situations. With one person I'd think you could go for more than a week but I live with the fact my wife absolutely insists on washing her hair every day no matter what.

One other trick we employ. We carry four one-gallon jugs for drinking, coffee and cooking water. Those can be easily refilled during the week as necessary since even dry camping campgrounds usually have a water source.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
I've yet to see a layout that I like better than this. I'd add AC, and probably a generator, and change the TV location.
When you analyze that Shire Phoenix plan you realize it is not that much different than a LTV Free Spirit SS and Winnebago ERA 70C. The major difference is those two RVs have slides but if they wanted to they could design a build the same models without slides and essentially have that Phoenix design.

What I didn't see, besides the known differences between American and European RVs which don't seem to appeal to the American markets, was there was not much storage. American RVs are migrating to designs for the long time and distance haul. European RVs seem to be suited for weekenders as the Phoenix appears to be to me. It was a little bit disingenuous to leave the sliding door wide open to give the impression of a large living space. You could do the same with the LTV and Winnebago. They must not have mosquitos, noseeums and black flies in Europe. They didn't touch on pulling out the bed and what that would do with the space. What it doesn't do for me is give me two living zones I desire to make a B more tolerable at night, for long trips and inclement days for two people. I also have been trying to get away from conversion spaces requiring either/or living decisions (sleep or up) and moving things around to accommodate space conversion.

Lastly, Bs are just too small (and narrow) to sacrifice space for a bathroom to get a dry bath shower. So far just about all examples of dry bathrooms have spanned across the back end of a van killing off major storage options, blocking the rear windows, taking up 20-25% of the entire space of the B and forcing all living and sleeping in one area. The small but wider Class Cs can overcome those limitations as well as provide the tank capacities of making more serious bathroom use (frequent showers) practical.