Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #1

Default Fiat-Chrysler Full Size Van

I wonder what full size van Fiat-Chrysler will be producing. I noticed the dodge sprinter is being sold as a Mercedes-Benz sprinter again. Will Fiat-Chrysler start manufacturing the old style Dodge Vans? Will Roadtrek, Pleasure Way, etc. stick with the Mercedes Benz sprinter? I checked the Chrysler website and there was no info on a full size van. I like the old style dodge vans. You could get parts cheap at Canadian tire. Now for Sprinter parts and service you have to go to a Mercedes-Benz dealer. Parts and service will be more expensive. Just wondering how this will affect the Class B RV industry. What do you think?
born2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #2

Default Re: Fiat-Chrysler Full Size Van

I received more info. It looks like Dodge will be making the old style van for 2010-2011. I wonder if the class B manufacturers will use this instead. Here is a link to the new van:
http://www.autosdesign.com/dodge-ram-van.htm
born2camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
Platinum Member

That's very interesting. I had guessed they wouldn't be selling a van for a while but looks like they're ready to go.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #4

I expect that the revival of the old van styles by Chrysler is a temporary step until they an bring the Fiat Ducato here under a Chrysler label. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato Fiat has said it is under consideration.
teweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I wonder if the Fiat "Sprinter" performs as well as the MB version?
Although these are not screened in any way (probably) there are some interesting comments,
good and bad, from European customers and drivers of the Ducato in it's various flavours.
A couple mention a motorhome version, too.
A little light reading if you're interested.......
http://www.roadtestreports.co.uk/road-t ... at/Ducato/
Old 05-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #6

Surely this is one bad joke???? No way that old piece of crap is going to be offered in today's market. It's wheelbase is too short. It's powertrain is totally outdated and the assembly plant that built it has been demolished. The rear overhang on the extended versions with their short 127" wheelbase caused all kinds of bouncing that the 138" Ford and 155" GM/Chevy w.b.s don't have. Please tell me April Fool's Day is the source of this.
Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #7
Platinum Member

It is very possible that the website "review" in the link is one of the automatic updating ones, by year, that are getting so common. They automatically change the year in the article, with no regard to accuracy. If you look near the end, there was a typo that says 203 Ram van, probably was meant to be 2003 when written. Since it wasn't seen as a year, it didn't get changed. Get your brand new 2003 Ram Van!
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2camp
............... Will Roadtrek, Pleasure Way, etc. stick with the Mercedes Benz sprinter? ......... Just wondering how this will affect the Class B RV industry. What do you think?
I seriously doubt the Class-B manufacturers will stop using the Sprinter, and go back to the classic Dodge Van. If Chrysler is actually going to bring back the classic van, it is possible a Class-B mfg., might add it to their line up, but I don't think that will happen either (for reasons mentioned above).

Chrysler could easily update the van with a 6.4 Hemi truck engine, longer wheelbase, full frame, 4-wheel disc brakes, ABS ,etc.. Then it would be a good candidate for a Class-B.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #9

The advantage the original dodge van had was its very short roof. It easily fit into garages. Sportsmobile marketed it with their “Penthouse” expandable top to 6’ 10’, and yet could still fit into garages. I really liked mine and the plans and molds for the low fiberglass top I’m sure can be easily restored. But I agree with you that the suspension would require substantial updates to be safe and competitive.
Other than price, there is no reason for BVan manufacturers to change the Sprinter. Sportsmobile is adding the new Nissan NV van soon and restoring the dodge may be under consideration. But I would guess that the Fiat Ducato is more likley to see the light of day.
Orca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Looks like there will be a Ram-branded Ducato in 2013

http://wot.motortrend.com/what-sprin...to-158473.html

Quote:
According to the Automotive News, the Chrysler Group will soon sell a commercial van in North America based on the Fiat Ducato. It will be sold as a Ram. The Ducato shares its front-drive platform with the Peugeot Boxer, currently sold in Europe.

“It’s designed perfectly to try and deal with the market segment here in the United States, so we think it will grow,” said Sergio Marchionne, CEO of the Chrysler Group.

Marchionne was on hand at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show where he said his company would expand its plant in Saltillo, Mexico to build the Ram-branded Ducato in time for a 2013 sale date. No other details have been provided, but we expect the Ducato to be offered in a number of configurations. The automaker will likely make minor cosmetic changes to give the Ram are more distinctive look for the North American market.

Front wheel drive I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fiat-ducato.jpg (54.9 KB, 1918 views)
Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Front drive! I wonder if they can even get any larger than a 1/2 ton equivalent that way.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

We saw one converted to a Winnie View style RV, at Bryce Canyon last year, or maybe 2009, memory fails me.
It appeared to be a full import (from Switzerland), probably shipped here on a freighter (I can't think of any other
way?) I posted the pics up in the "photo gallery" on here some time ago. No one entered or exited while we were
at the showers, that we saw.
http://classbforum.com/coppermine/thumb ... m=2&page=3
As for power, FWD pros and cons, that article with European user experiences and comments referred to
transmission issues. Perhaps FWD related? I don't know.
It looks nice (IMO) converted.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Check this link out on RV.net: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/25751545.cfm

There's something about those European designs...........