Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Fiberglass Hightop front window leak repair needed

Hello,

I have an 87 Xplorer. The front skylight windows leak on the hightop. I dont see a place online that sells replacement seals. The windows are thin plastic and have been spray painted white by a P/O. Im contemplating how to repair these. any suggestions?

I think earlier roadtreks might be similar??

There is no window frame. just a plastic window sheet with a rubber seal around it. outside is ugly with layers of silicone, spray sealer, old duct tape, yellowed epoxy? sealer, etc. looks like all the P/O's have thrown something over it throughout the years. still leaks.

I will begin to strip it back and see what we got. no idea where to get a seal if i can at all. i've searched online several times.

thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Lifted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:40 AM   #2
Platinum Member

do a forum search for mkguitar's comments about replacing windows. I must have deleted it, but he gives some great recommendations for getting new plexiglas and new rubber seals.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Steele rubber products make replacements seals for all automotive applications

https://www.steelerubber.com/?gclid=...RoCCWUQAvD_BwE

the catalogue will allow you to select exact replacements by size and profile

( in PHX I have a nearby "fabric store" which stocks common sizes...like for the trunk on my 66 Cadillac- https://fabricdepotaz.com/ )

removing is easy with a sharp box cutter/ stanley knife, cutting out the old seal

re-installing flat glass into a seal is easy using string and grease - youtube

home depot sells acrylic/lexan which is easily cut with a jigsaw or I prefer a rotozip. smooth the edge with a file or sandpaper, taking care not to scratch the plastic if you are going for clear windows

you'll get a great result in a day and be done with the ugliness up top

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:16 PM   #4

Lifted!, I too have an Xplorer (2004). Lookup Xplorer Steve on Youtube, He did a video a couple of years back replacing all his window seal. He tells you in the video what company he used.
Highway Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:13 PM   #5
Bronze Member

my overhead windows have no seal around glass i had a window company cut one for me from 1/4 plexiglass that had the same tint as the other 2.I put in with a tube of window repair sealant, glues and seals.Looks great.
robert g is offline   Reply With Quote