Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2019, 10:00 PM   #1

Default fiberglass roof

I have a 2011 Pleasure way Lexor with a Fantasic fan in its fiberglass roof,
I am looking to install a Maxx air cover over the fan, my question is will I do the roof any damage if I climb on and move around while installing the cover I am 225lbs,or should I work off ladders one each side being careful not to damage the awning, I will be grateful for any input or suggestions, Thank you.
rpns51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I installed mine using a 8’ ladder....you don’t want to crack that fiberglass. Ron
Old 08-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #3
Bronze Member

my 1999 roadtrek 190 V has a fiberglass roof. I weigh 225. First time I accessed the roof I did so from scaffolding supporting the bulk of my weight and noticed the roof did not seem to give when i leaned on it. Next time i put a ladder on the side and climbed on the roof, but lay on my belly spreading my weight out as much as i could. That seemed fine as well. another approach between those options might be to lay a sheet of plywood on the roof and work off of that. So while none of that answers your question, perhaps they are options for you to consider.
SQUASHMIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Just be safe. Having someone of similar size and strength to spot your ladder is a great idea. As you learn over the roof, the ladder can kick back away from the side of the vehicle. Not good.

They can also hand you tools or caulk or whatever you need without descending the ladder each time.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:03 PM   #5

Default Fiberglass Roof

Thanks to all of you with your advise/suggestions, I installed the vent cover using step ladders both side of the van it was so easy I did it twice, I know what you may be thinking that I installed it backwards the first time, no that was not the reason, I did not like the look of the white cover on the roof of a silver van so I removed the cover and spray painted it (with paint recommended for plastic) reinstalled the cover now looks great,
rpns51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpns51 View Post
Thanks to all of you with your advise/suggestions, I installed the vent cover using step ladders both side of the van it was so easy I did it twice, I know what you may be thinking that I installed it backwards the first time, no that was not the reason, I did not like the look of the white cover on the roof of a silver van so I removed the cover and spray painted it (with paint recommended for plastic) reinstalled the cover now looks great,
Always good to hear from someone who "lived to tell about it". Glad it worked out fairly easy for you. There's great satisfaction and great cost savings that comes from doing your own repairs.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote