Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2019, 11:30 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Fiberglass step question

Hope to hear from Roadtrek owners.
I have RT 170 1997 with very low mileage and in good shape except for the driver side step that cracked badly
i am getting a new one but just curious how long did yours last? I heard it is common issue.
We did not put eccessive weight on the step but RT does sit in CA sun since it us to high for garage.
My question is not a simple curiocity.I have an oportunity to buy one more part.I do not have extra money but they stopped making 170 in 2003 and parts are hard to find.

P.S.Sorry,have to start a new thread since my original one was highjacked.May be moderator delets it.
RT1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hope to hear from Roadtrek owners.
I have RT 170 1997 with very low mileage and in good shape except for the driver side step that cracked badly
i am getting a new one but just curious how long did yours last? I heard it is common issue.
We did not put eccessive weight on the step but RT does sit in CA sun since it us to high for garage.
My question is not a simple curiocity.I have an oportunity to buy one more part.I do not have extra money but they stopped making 170 in 2003 and parts are hard to find.

P.S.Sorry,have to start a new thread since my original one was highjacked.May be moderator delets it.

I am on my second RT, never had one crack. You might check out a Marine Repair Facility, they maybe able to reinforce it, and bring it back to life. Ron
Old 11-07-2019, 12:37 AM   #3
Gold Member

Thank you,Ron.
They charge at least $500 to repair.I am getting a new one cheaper.
But thanks to your reply I am probably not going to have a spare one.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I’d keep the old one. With a little trouble you could repair and reinforce it yourself. Fiberglass work is not complicated. Best thing is since you have found a replacement there’s no hurry.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’d keep the old one. With a little trouble you could repair and reinforce it yourself. Fiberglass work is not complicated. Best thing is since you have found a replacement there’s no hurry.

I completely agree, fiberglass work is not all that tough and the supplies are easy to find at auto parts stores, marine supply stores, or online. Lots of videos of how to do it. Glassing in aluminum strips here and there can really strengthen things like this, and using glass fabric for the repair will make it even stronger than the chop glass original material was.

Of the $500 quote, it may have included over $300 for color match and paint, or a bunch of labor to remove the step, as the glass work should not be that much.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #6
Gold Member

Thank you,Jon and Booster.I was not going to keep the old one but I will now .I did some reading on restoring fiberglass but it did not look easy for me.But I might try some time.
About $500.Another place quoted the same. They are RV business and have good reputation.I did not ask the details on pricing but may be it is difficult to remove and install a new one.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
Bronze Member

If you've not done body work on a vehicle, the fiberglass repair is perhaps daunting. But honestly, do it once and you will be glad you did. This assumes that taking an hour or two in the evening to glue pieces together, reinforce back of step with fiberglass, sand exposed surface, and paint over the course of a week suit you better than paying $500. You can see my results and discussion of doing this in a facebook group for older roadtreks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1483...epa=SEARCH_BOX

If the link does not work, search the 1974-2004 roadtrek group for fiberglass step repair.
SQUASHMIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #8

I repaired mine with fiberglass cloth and resin. I reinforced it with a metal strap and a screw. Found paint codes on a website and ordered a can. Looks OK.. Shelly
Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:22 PM   #9
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUASHMIRE View Post
If you've not done body work on a vehicle, the fiberglass repair is perhaps daunting. But honestly, do it once and you will be glad you did. This assumes that taking an hour or two in the evening to glue pieces together, reinforce back of step with fiberglass, sand exposed surface, and paint over the course of a week suit you better than paying $500. You can see my results and discussion of doing this in a facebook group for older roadtreks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1483...epa=SEARCH_BOX

If the link does not work, search the 1974-2004 roadtrek group for fiberglass step repair.
Thank you for the link.I am impessed and willing to try.After all there is more fiberglass to crack )):.
Also my thanks to Shelly .

Still curious why it cracked.May be it was hit in parking lot , though no visible gamage.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:25 AM   #10
Bronze Member

if you are not the original owner, who knows what the step has been exposed to. maybe when you got it a crack had already developed, but not noticeable. in any case, you can make it better than new i think. and like you say, there is more fiberglass on that rig that may need attention in the future. good luck.
SQUASHMIRE is offline   Reply With Quote